Asheville, NC October GTG

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Got home about an hour ago: 9 hours from Richmond to MA, average 65 MPH, including a couple of dog walking stops. I did the entire trip (2,064 miles) starting with 3/4 tank and filling the car twice. Not bad. Odo is at 710 miles now, not near reserve, and I spent a lot of time today at 80-85 MPH when traffic allowed.

It was great to see Landon and Daniel and to meet the rest of the family. What a lovely location. Thanks for sharing your home, yard, deck, and garage with us.

As always I had a great time. I always enjoy putting faces with names and talking with the long-timers. My brain's a little fried but I had a great long weekend. Parker did too, although I think he's happier than I to be out of the car.

Thanks again, guys. Dan, I've got to get to one of your GTGs next. Just keep the snow away!

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Had a great time! the 5 speed shifts like a dream! I'm so in love all over again! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

As always, love going to Asheville for gtgs. Great people, great time, and great food!

mazz1111

TDI
98 jetta, 99.5 golf
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE involved with putting the GTG together...It was an awesome experience.

A special thanks to the collective braintrust (there were many) who resurrected my IP from the depths ....Dan's diesel purge kit resembled an IV..the pump was definately in critical condition.

After all the wrenching was finally done...LOTS and lots of pateint, time consuming, carpal tunnel inducing wrenching I might add(thanks Landon!- hope your hands are okay!), Dan cleared my CEL/glowplug lights and the car ran great on the way home....No codes for the first time since I've owned it. Drove for about 70 miles.

It was a privilege to have the best of the southeast floating around poking under the hoods and offering their expertise.

Thanks to the Grindstaff's for hosting and opening up their home...it was great meeting all and i am looking forward to many more GTG's..

Mike

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Landon, Daniel, and Karen,

Thank you Karen for the great food, and putting up with us. It was a great GTG, the weather couldn't have been better, and beautiful scenery. Awesome seeing everybody, and too much to learn. Already looking for the next one.

Terry

66gasgrill

TDI
2000 MKIV
Hey guys, Had a great time once again. Great to see several familiar faces and meet a couple new ones. A great big thank you to Landon, Daniel, and family for hosting such a wonderful event your home. Also a thank you to Jeff from Rocket Chip, not only for coming to the GTG but for taking time to look at my car and work on what it needs tune wise. Terry next time I'll throw on some silicone spray to make it as shiny as yours....well, close to as shiny as yours:D

Travis
The other Dragon pearl green one;)

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
Thank you Landon Karen and Daniel for all your hard work, preparation, and hospitality. Beautiful location perfect weather and great folks.
If you didn't make this GTG and you know who you are you missed out on a great time.

redjetj

TDI
2000 jetta 2004jetta wagon
MY FOGS ARE IN ! MY FOG ARE IN ! I haven't felt this good since my name was put in the phone book! Thank you to the master electrician Charlie. And also to Landon, Karen, Daniel for opening their home to all.

speedfreeq

TDI
02 Jetta ALH/01M, 123k
You guys are amazing! I didn't meet anybody, really. I rolled in Saturday afternoon and asked Landon to listen to this weird knock on my car.

Next thing I know there's like six guys and at least two laptops, all with very concerned looks on their faces. I was rushed into the ER (best spot, in front of #2 bay) with two or three surgeons tearing down to check my cam, lifters, glowplugs, IP, and anything else they could get to in the limited amount of time I had before needing to be back at work.

I can't thank you guys enough for just the gigabytes of knowledge I was able to absorb in an hour. I have some solid directions to go in towards diagnosis and perhaps even a fix.

The car and I had to leave in a hurry, but I left with a random CKP code (likely from fixing my wiring harness around the IP), so I went back over there today to get it cleared. Daniel dropped what he was doing and not only cleared my code, but took me out on a test drive for further diagnosis of my "death knock" and just to check over the rest of the car in general.

Awesome folks, awesome service, awesome knowledge. Can't thank you enough! Next time I'll try to get there for more than an hour.

vwkeen

TDI
2009 Jetta
Thank you to Landon, Karen and Daniel for a great GTG. I had to leave after a couple of hours, but the knowledge gained was incredible and the RC1+ from Jeff is AMAZING! Next up is a brake upgrade.

Thanks again, can't wait for the next one.

Jeff

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Like everyone above thanks for everyone and everything at another great GTG. Don;t know how many of you got stuck on the nonexistent 240, I went in circles for about 30 mins before I stopped a local and asked where the hell am I. LOL Hope the guy I gave the ride to enjoyed the RC6, he was in heaven I think when he got back, but of course all the thanks goes to Jeff for installing it. I've never had so much fun smoking tires as on those twisting and turning curves around Landon's, hope it didnt pi$$ off the locals again like I did at Dans, oh well.
Dan thanks for the vag com help and teaching me, who should have know a long time ago, how to adjust the timing. (boy is it easy). Will be checking out a new MAP just for giggles. Machelle loved your NB, you have done a great job getting it to where it is. Well to all "a good night" see you at the next one. Long live the King. (NB) lol

Last edited:

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
Had a great time at the GTG! Thanks Daniel, Landon and Karen for everything! Met some cool people and learned a lot! I appreciate you looking at the camshaft on the 06. Was a nice day and looking forward to the next GTG.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Thanks Richard. Now I just need to get my engine up to speed and we can see who's got the bada$$ bug lol Love the lights btw!

Again can't say enough about how awesome this gtg was. Was so nice to meet everyone and hang out and just have a great time!!

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Got home last night without any automatic transmission diff fluid leaks! Thanks to Daniel for handling that pesky first step of getting that sensor out of the way, the rest of the fluid change was so easy. Karen your food really hit the spot. I had three sandwiches on Saturday. Landon you are a saint to give so much. Bruce, Bruce, and Dan; thanks doesnt say enough, you guys kick ass. Charlie, I look at the wiring on my car so differently now. Thanks for the erudite perspective. Rick I hope to see you with a long lasting healthy cam for years to come. Calvin hope to see you again as well. Maybe next time I will show you how my ride works with new nozzles, injectors, and a tune. Lots of other great friendly people there as well. Ramone, Michele, the other Rick, and the car with RC6! I will see you all again!

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Sorry for the tardiness....

Karen and Landon, I appreciate the hospitality you always show me. Great time, great eats.

Greatly enjoyed playing with the dobie. Beautiful dog in appearance, demeaner, and training.

Dan, thanks for the diagnostics on Waggin. I still have the wahoo!! boost turbo, but at least I know what is going on....Putting pennies away for the VNT 17.

Thanks to all that let me play with their cars. I didn't do any hardcore wrenching, just some hit and run stuff.

Bruce

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
was it you I gave the ride to. Hope you enjoyed if it was. :)
Daniel gave me a ride when he had to hit the grocery store and VW parts. Your avatar is a NB? While we rode in an MK4 jetta? If my memory serves me correctly, and often it does not, Daniel explained the car used to belong to him or his dad? Needless to say RC6 kicks ass! We nailed a few hard pulls:D

Last edited:

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
No they have never owned my car. It was a stocker when I bought it and slowly built it to it go fast staus that it is at now. I guess it wasn't you I gave the ride to. We smoked tires several times and he loved it. LOL

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Hey guys, Had a great time once again. Great to see several familiar faces and meet a couple new ones. A great big thank you to Landon, Daniel, and family for hosting such a wonderful event your home. Also a thank you to Jeff from Rocket Chip, not only for coming to the GTG but for taking time to look at my car and work on what it needs tune wise. Terry next time I'll throw on some silicone spray to make it as shiny as yours....well, close to as shiny as yours:D

Travis
The other Dragon pearl green one;)
Haha, Travis you have it looking good, try to find some silicone spray from Ace Hardware their brand atomizes the spray the best.
I'll bet Jeff is getting the potential out of your car now.

TDI4all

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5spd
This THANK YOU is long overdue. Sorry for the delay.

Big Thanks goes out to Landon, Daniel, and Karen for opening up your beautiful home and the wonderful food. I really liked the coleslaw and spicy topping for the subs.

Landon.....Special thanks for making that Tap for me....that was brilliant.

To Bruce,Bruce and Dan....Big thanks for giving the Jetta the once over with your expertise and insight. Time to start saving up for a cam !!!!

Thanks to Bruce for helping with the rear shocks....it made a big improvement in the ride. Time to install the front struts and springs.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone and hope to see you at the next southeast GTG.

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW golf TDI with tech package
I didn't make the GTG but wanted to thank Dan and Bruce. These two guys are top shelf in my book. I had been corrisponding with Dan via the club and He and Bruce stopped by my house and diagnosed my car in my driveway, while they were on their way to Asheville. They set my timing and put a fuel line on.

Thank You for the help and for list of maintenance items i need to take care of on my car. They lit a fire under me and they also gave me an invite to come down to Chapin. I'm actually going tomorrow to get my turbo checked out/cleaned.

Thanks a Ton!!!!!

CalvinM

TDI
2003 Golf
I'll keep the thanks rolling in.

Thank you so much Landon, Daniel, and Karen for hosting this GTG. Thanks also go out to those helping out: Dan(of course, this guy is tireless), Bruce, Bruce, Charlie, Robbie, Jimmy, Jeff, Terry, and others that I am forgetting.

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
Bummer! Dean & I missed this one - we were in NC 2x in October looking for a property to buy and we found 1 in Seagrove (south of Asheboro)! We close next month & look forward to another Asheville GTG!
Kristina

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Hello All,

Appalachian Diesel Works will be sponsoring a GTG on October 15th at my house. Rocketchip has committed to be with us on Saturday. Send Daniel of ADW a PM (DGTDI) with your needs for tuning so he can keep Jeff posted. This is basically a 1 day event, but all are welcome to show up Friday after 12:00 noon. There will be some "light" wrenching going on that afternoon and depending on what's in the garage, you may see Daniel struggling to get it finished and out of the way for Saturday!! We will be throwing something on the grill that evening for those that are still hanging around.

GTG Address:
255 Rhymer Road
Alexander, NC 28701

Saturday starts at 8:00 AM and we will try to get things wrapped up that evening by 9:00. Unlike past GTG's we have hosted, I am going to rule out full 4 corner suspension work. This is based on our experience at the the recent Winnsboro, SC GTG where one car ended up on the lift for the entire day. Yes there were problems with that one, but suspension can indeed run into problems and it isn't fair to others. Rear shocks are possible to do because they are quick. No front suspension and as always, no TB,s. Let's focus on things that often get overlooked like: brake fluid flushes, 5spd fluid changes and shifter adjustment, Automatic Transmission fluid changes, replacement of all filters, oil changes, intake cleaning, CEL diagnostics, overall vehical health inspections, ect. ADW will have many of these parts and fluids on hand for sale at cost. If you are planning on Automatic Transmission service, I recommend you bring your own supplies or PM Daniel and ask him to make sure they are available for you. Also, Peter at IDParts.com has indicated that he is definately planning on being here. If he makes it, he can bring your orders to the GTG. Check with him as the date gets near.

Not sure what we are going to do for lunch on Saturday, but I promise you won't be disappointed. More on that later.

This event has been scheduled to take advantage of the historical peak weekend for Fall color in our area. You can always find beautiful color that weekend if you change elevation. A 45 minute drive from the GTG on the Blue Ridge Parkway can take you from 2000 feet to 6000 feet elevation. Take advantage of the timing and plan yourselves a vacation and meet a bunch of fellow TDI'ers and visit with old friends. We are well in advance, so no excuses!!

Looking forward to seeing all of you in October.:D

Landon
TW

man, i missed the fun. sounded awesome.

Seems like you are one who is very on-point about simple,fundamental mechanics..i crave the goodness!. i'm on the tdi boat and am never abandoning ship!