Asheville, NC October GTG

Macabee

TDI
2000 Jetta
I'll be there. At the moment, my car reaches the speed limit, stops when I push the brake peddle, and the steering works. So, I'll see y'all there...

5-Speed Convert, 3" Exhaust, GLI Brakes / Struts / Shocks, TT Bushings, BBS RC Alloy Wheels, RC 5 Rocketchip Tune, R32 Intake, 17/22 Turbo, Vented Fender Liner mod

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I'm definetely planning to attend. I bought today a 96 Passat wagon 5 speed TDI in pretty decent shape and hope to have it running by then if I don't decide to sell it.

The car is not running at the moment, the previous owner went out of town for two weeks, when she got back it wouldn't start. She called a mechanic but never took it to the shop and the car sat for one year. The car is complete and untouched. Timing belt is fine and the car has a week old clutch.

I'll be playing with it tomorrow and try to diagnose the problem. Anyone have any ideas about what it could be or what to look for?

I know this is not the right forum for these kind of questions but it's the right site, right :D
If the timing belt is intact, have the IP rebuilt. Probably mulitple seal leaks.

Yeah, the IP rebuild is $$. However, the car is 15 years old. If you plan on driving it forever, worth it.

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat wagon TDI, 99 Beetle ALH
If the timing belt is intact, have the IP rebuilt. Probably mulitple seal leaks.

Yeah, the IP rebuild is $$. However, the car is 15 years old. If you plan on driving it forever, worth it.
well, I worked on it a little bit over the weekend and have a quick question, is it possible to manually turn the crankshaft? (with a good rachet, or course).

Here's the deal, I put a fresh battery and tried to crank it up, the starter just clicked but engine didn't turn. I removed the starter (brand new Bosch) and tested it, it works fine. The I tried turning the crankshaft from the 19mm bolt and no way Jose. Removed the oil pan and everything looks nice and oily.

I was told that the car had a week old clutch but for the looks of everything, I doubt it but then again, the car sat for over a year. Is the flywheel solid on these cars?

I'm planning to remove the tranny and see how everything looks on that side of the drivetrain. I'm trying my best to make it run and see if I can show it off at the g2g :)

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Yes, You should be able to easily turn the engine with a 19 mm 12 point socket and a breaker bar. If you pull the glow plugs, with a short ratchet. Clockwise is the normal direction.

On a five speed manual, the easiest way is to jack up the passenger side tire, have the hand brake on, put the transmission in 5th gear and use the tire as to turn the engine. Turn the tire as if it was rolling forward (clockwise for the passenger tire.)

Have you pulled the glow plugs?

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, You should be able to easily turn the engine with a 19 mm 12 point socket and a breaker bar. If you pull the glow plugs, with a short ratchet. Clockwise is the normal direction.

On a five speed manual, the easiest way is to jack up the passenger side tire, have the hand brake on, put the transmission in 5th gear and use the tire as to turn the engine. Turn the tire as if it was rolling forward (clockwise for the passenger tire.)

Have you pulled the glow plugs?
ok, I didn't pull the glow plugs but it makes sense. This is pretty much my first diesel car ever so, don't judge :D

I did jack up the car, put it in neutral (it's 5 speed manual) and used a good size breaker bar. It didn't turn and I didn't want to push it. I found out with the ecodiesel that diesel engines run at very high compression so, I was wondering if it was the reason why I couldn't make it turn.

I didn't think about pulling the glow plugs but I'll give it a try today :p

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You can normally turn the engine with the Glow plugs still in, especially if you turn it slowly.

I was suggesting pulling them, as you could not. This way if the cylinder is full of water or oil, it will have an exit path. The spray is usually very violent, so throwing a towel over the holes can help reduce any potential mess.

Another thing to do is to remove the accessory belt. I have had an alternator lock up so tight the starter could not spin the engine.

Volk14

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks a lot for your help and time. I was not able to do anything to it today but maybe tomorrow.
I didn't think about the accessory belt but I'll give that a try before I even pull the glow plugs, that's pretty simple.

I'm really hoping that there's no engine damage.

I'll keep you guys updated with the progress :)

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
My first gtg! I look forward to seeing the peeps and the cars. Im driving a long way; can I wash my car there? I can bring a hose if need be.

I can bring one of these as well for faster brake fluid changes:
http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html

I recently changed the automatic tran fluid. Can I change the differential fluid up there? I would like to remove the differential cover, put in a new gasket, and refill.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I am coming down. I'm leaving MA early Wednesday so I can go to Brevard and visit my son, driving over to the GTG Sat AM so I probably won't be there at the crack of dawn. If you want me to bring anything please order by Monday PM to make sure I have and can pack anything you want. Click on the "local/GTG" option on the shipping screen and write "For Asheville GTG" in the comments section of the order. PM me or write me at sales@idparts.com if you have questions. I'm looking foward to seeing everyone and getting out of town for a day or two. It's been too long.

zabrooks

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I am new to TDIclub but see this as an interesting time to meet some new people. Hope you all don't mind a noob stopping by.

TDI4all

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5spd
Hey Landon,
I was there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Back then I was a noob, since then I have changed out my own TB,water pump..etc. I'm interested in cleaning out the intake manifold. I have a spare pd100 intake manifold that I can clean up and use a replacement to make it quicker. What is a good cleaner for all the gunk build up? Oh I would like to do the rear shocks if time permits.

Thanks,
Rick

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm trying real hard to take the 15th off so that I can go. It's been a while since I've been to a gtg.

Turbojäger

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
As Beavis and Butthead would say: "I'm there dude."

I've never been to a g2g before, but I'm looking forward to dropping by, meeting some people, and getting Rocketchipped.

ReferenceDesign

Veteran Member
I will be bringing assorted test equip for electrical issues and can read key codes for those that trust chinese software.

I am also bringing a gasser for a tune (only ripe tomato throwing please).

And I will be bringing the Woodford Reserve from the fest to share (again).

And the LN2...

Dankcorey22

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 ALH & 83 1.6 TD CY
Well today i saw our work schedule for next week and the weekend looks like i have to work since one of my co-workers decided to take a vacation all next week, so i wont be able to make it guys. I was looking forward to seeing everyone again. But the good side is i wont be spending money with Peter or Jeff lol
Maybe the Next close GTG i will be able to make it to.

-Corey

mazz1111

TDI
98 jetta, 99.5 golf
Hey All! looking forward to meeting everyone ....next week..

I'm bringing a wounded 2000 Golf TDI....among the issues are IP, and Tranny (auto:mad:).....it slips in 1st and second....gets a little better after it warms up....I was thinking a fluid swap might be a good place to start - or at least buy me some time before a 5sp swap!!!

Do I need to bring my own fluid...or is there fluid avail for purchase? Or should I just expect a 5sp swap on Sat ;)?

New member, 1st GTG...thanks
mike

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
A transmission swap is a bit over the top for a GTG.

I would contact Jimbote if you want to have someone do it for you.

If you call IDParts.com and order the fluid TODAY , he will bring it for you.

Normally you get your own parts and fluids and bring them or make your own specific arrangements.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
A transmission swap is a bit over the top for a GTG.

I would contact Jimbote if you want to have someone do it for you.

If you call IDParts.com and order the fluid TODAY , he will bring it for you.

Normally you get your own parts and fluids and bring them or make your own specific arrangements.
...well...it's doable though. ;) Just probably not preferred!

I second using Jim Bote for a swap! I know from experience. If you want you can check it out at the GtG. I'll be changing the fluid on mine and working on some shift issues I've had over the past year, but otherwise the swap has been pretty much flawless.

mazz1111

TDI
98 jetta, 99.5 golf
Ordered transmission fluid kit from IDparts.....Peter is coming and bringing the kit....awesome...

Thanks for the heads up ....

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Dan, would you care to look over my BEW wagon? I'm still trying figure the baseline for it, and I think I'm close to perfect......You know PDs better than I do.

If anyone is interested in leftover TDIFest T shirts, I can bring what is left for sale. $10 each.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd

I'm bringing a wounded 2000 Golf TDI....among the issues are IP, and Tranny (auto:mad:).....it slips in 1st and second....gets a little better after it warms up....I was thinking a fluid swap might be a good place to start - or at least buy me some time before a 5sp swap!!!

Do I need to bring my own fluid...or is there fluid avail for purchase? Or should I just expect a 5sp swap on Sat ;)?

mike

What kind of problems are you having with the IP?

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Hope you don't mind if me and a buddy stop by to check out some cool diesels. We just got into the whole diesel think this year and would like to see some mods that people have done and get some ideas for our cars.I have a tdi but he has a 1.6 NA, we are doing a 1.6 Turbo swap.Hope to meet some local people their.

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
I will be bringing assorted test equip for electrical issues and can read key codes for those that trust chinese software.

I am also bringing a gasser for a tune (only ripe tomato throwing please).

And I will be bringing the Woodford Reserve from the fest to share (again).

And the LN2...[/QUOTE

Glad to see you have figured out the correct weekend for the GTG!! Its going to be a blast! Looking forward to this:D

You could do a run of LN2 Ice Cream again. Just let us know what ingredients you need and we will have them on hand. Its a big hit and we might have to make more than one run.

Thanks,
Landon
TW

Landon
TW

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey

mike
You have an auto and we are manual freaks. We have the fluids for the manual, but you need to get in touch with Peter and have him bring a transmission service kit for your car. Sometimes we have those in stock but don't count on it for a GTG because someone can end up in front of you. Those kits are expensive and our supply is very limited for the various auto transmisions.

Looking forward to seeing this weekend.

Landon

Turbojäger

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
Somewhere in the process of replacing the timing belt and playing around with the injectors (we took 2 out to put in PP520s but realized that the previous owner already had PP520s in the car. Surprise!) my stepdad and I must have messed up the timing slightly because now the car feels bogged down below ~22-2300rpm. At idle and after that point it runs perfectly fine.

I might add that all of our marks matched up perfectly so I don't think there's any way we're off a tooth.

What the hell could this be? Am I right by saying its probably the timing? And is this something Jeff will be able to adjust and fix when he flashes my ECU?

Thanks guys, see you all this weekend!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Headed out later this morning: Harrisonburg VA tonight, Brevard tomorrow and Fri. See you all there!