Ash at bottom of oil filter.

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf/02/5spd 230K Passat SE/12/DSG 50K
Last weekend I changed the oil very hot through the top (thanks to a metal vacum can from Harbor Freight, and a home made probe for the dipstick) and I remember that even though the oil was super thin, because it was hot, the oil remnants below the oil filter were goopy and thicker.

The last oil change was done with the last of my old Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w40. The oil changes are done at 10K mi intervals, with OEM filters.

It struck me that the oil on the bottom was strange, but I didn't recognise why (because it was thick, and the rest of the oil was so thin because it was hot), until just now.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this ash that collects at the bottom of the oil filter? Any suggestion for how to get more of this stuff out during an oil change? Is it better to change the oil when its warm, instead of very hot?

Last edited:

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
Filter dislexia. I meant oil filter. After suctioning out the oil filter holder, the bottom seemed to have a thicker layer of goop. Anyone notice something similar?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
100 k same oil its whole life
always 10k OCI - is the first time you drained
the cooler is below the filter

turkeyssr

TDI
none; as of 12/09/06
Change the oil below the filter?!?

wjdell said:
100 k same oil its whole life
always 10k OCI - is the first time you drained
the cooler is below the filter
So what you're getting at is that this stuff should be sucked out every time. If not, then you'll have the sludge that Pogo speaks of. I'll tell you what, I'm going to check the next time I change my oil! :eek:

Cabrales

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon 2003, green
If I understand correctly, after you removed the filter element, and sucked out the oil at the bottom of the filter "canister" there was sludge there. I have done 3 oil changes to my Jetta so far (all using the Pela to get the oil from the top), and I have never found anything remotely resembling sludge.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if you run any oil 10k you want to make a complete change. If you use a pella everytime you will probably have a layer. You would have one draining but it would be less. I am not sure how well a pella will clean the bottom. But I think draining your cooler would be standard with a filter. Keep spare O rings in supply. They are the same size as the filter O ring, I think. :).

pogo

Veteran Member
TDI
I always suction out the below the oil filter. Is that an oil cooler below the oil filter? That might explain what I saw. Maybe it was thicker because it was colder? It wasn't so much sludge, as thicker, stickier, oil. Maybe. I don't remember. Elf's in there now.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
depends how much you get not sure if you can get to the cooler or not from looking at the book

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
turkeyssr said:
So what you're getting at is that this stuff should be sucked out every time. If not, then you'll have the sludge that Pogo speaks of. I'll tell you what, I'm going to check the next time I change my oil! :eek:
the heaviest sediments settle over time in low places. soot is heavy.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Change oil when warm, not hot or cold.....How hot is up to you.

Too hot may damage a pela.....

I think it was just colder oil.

Bill