Article and video about shipments starting; some points of commentary

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
I'm starting a new thread because I can't find the one that had a link to this article about the start of major shipments:
http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/aug/31/vw-shipping-passats-to-dealers-as-market-launch/?print
which also contained a link to an interesting video:
http://timesfreepress.com/videos/2011/aug/31/5754/

Some notes:
Manufacturing 1000 cars a week according to the article, shipping 350-400 a day right now.

0:36 "cornerstone" :p

0:48-0:55 is he saying there's a phase of on-the-lot-for-sale cars before pre-ordered cars going "from here on out", or is it just a poor choice of words, and all he's saying is that this is the first phase (delimited from the second by what?) of production-for-sale, after the initial demo-only shipping of test-production cars?

Right after that, it's rare to hear a German accent so strong I can't fully figure what he's trying to say: "series" production (i.e. literal mistranslation of German for regular mass production), or "serious"?

Trunk lid misaligned at on left at 1:26?
Badges back on top of the trunk, dangit.

Looks like the same crap large-flake paint quality I saw at the dealer at 1:28 :(

rhpot1991

TDI
2012 Passat
I'm pretty annoyed at my dealer right now, I asked if they have any updated delivery information and they fed me some line about orders taking up to 90 days. When I asked when my pre-order became a regular order they told me that there were no Midnight Blue SEL TDI Models available at launch.
Thanks for waiting until 2 weeks before launch and only telling me after I asked...
Anyone else have this issue, or can anyone contradict that the color choices are an issue?

Delegator

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
My dealer told me last week that my Opera Red TDI SEL was "accepted for production" but that they do not yet have a delivery date.

I suspect they are building a bunch of black, white, and silver ones first because those will comprise 70+% of demand. But at least the special orders are in the production queue.