Argh! Lost it again!

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
Help! I have found and lost at least twice now the thread that lists the coding for "relaxing" the EGR activation to an off-highway configuration. I have searched EGR delete, EGR coding, and still no love. I thought I had bookmarked or printed to PDF or something, but alas, it is gone.

Does anyone have a link? Or a better search phrase?

Thx
T

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It doesn't do what you think it does, and is not necessary anyway.

ULSD helped with that, and not driving like a granny.

But if you must know:

"EGR mod" was where you log in (12233) and go to Adaptation and go to channel 2, change the default 32768 to 33768 or something. Been a while, I'd have to look at one again. It is useless, though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Here, first hit on google:

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Help! I have found and lost at least twice now the thread that lists the coding for "relaxing" the EGR activation to an off-highway configuration. I have searched EGR delete, EGR coding, and still no love. I thought I had bookmarked or printed to PDF or something, but alas, it is gone.

Does anyone have a link? Or a better search phrase?

Thx
T

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
Here, first hit on google:

Guess I should have googled instead of searching the forum. Maybe that's how I found it before?!

So no benefit whatsoever? I just made all my EGR and intake parts nice and clean, I'd like them to stay that way for as long as possible.

My commute is 7 miles of country roads with one decent hill (each way, in and out of the river valley) and many curves and lots of agricultural workers and old people (most of them younger than me) who don't like to drive over 35 even though the signs say 55 -- curves, they're deadly! I'm gonna be poking along behind Picker and Pruner and Granny, I don't want to be spinning 4,000 RPM the whole time. I wanted a diesel for low RPM torque and economy. Otherwise I could have dumped money in the Volvo and continued to enjoy road hugging weight, AWD and 17 mpg.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Guess I should have googled instead of searching the forum. Maybe that's how I found it before?!
Or - do both: In Google, "EGR mod site:tdiclub.com" (minus the quotes) will get you a Google search of only tdiclub.com.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
you need an egr delete. thats how you keep it clean. the amount of adaptation you can do with vcds on a stock tune is extremely minimal it really does nothing except make you feel better.... but egr delete really needs to be accompanied with other adjustments to be optimal. if you think about it, it makes sense... kinda changes the whole dynamic of AFR and intake air temps etc ;) also, egr delete doesn't need to equate to lower warmup times. it's all how you do it...

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
Like I said, with ULSD it isn't nearly the issue it once was. I'd not lose any sleep over it.
I've been driving the car for a couple days, and unexpectedly the pokey people actually force me to use 2nd and 3rd and rev higher. At 45-50 the car will pull the hills in 5th or 4th gear, but when the cars ahead are plodding along at 35, it's 2nd and 3rd territory to get the oomph needed to climb. I haven't checked my injection timing yet, and I still am getting a little air in the fuel line, so the engine probably has more to give even though it's totally stock. But I don't see much loping along at 1500 rpm on my commute like I imagined.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
I've been driving the car for a couple days, and unexpectedly the pokey people actually force me to use 2nd and 3rd and rev higher. At 45-50 the car will pull the hills in 5th or 4th gear, but when the cars ahead are plodding along at 35, it's 2nd and 3rd territory to get the oomph needed to climb. I haven't checked my injection timing yet, and I still am getting a little air in the fuel line, so the engine probably has more to give even though it's totally stock. But I don't see much loping along at 1500 rpm on my commute like I imagined.
you really should never need to downshift that much. but i guess it depends if you have issues or what tun.

the timing per vcds graph. you should be fine if your at the blue line, or go a bit above that. going higher than that doesn' tdo what you may think it does... its rally just the available window. if you log 004 you can see

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
They're pretty steep climbs, no way the engine is going to pull in 4th or 5th at barely 1,000 rpm. This is in the Cascades, our hills are what easterners call mountains... And as noted, I haven't checked IP timing since getting the engine back in one piece. That's a task for this weekend.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
They're pretty steep climbs, no way the engine is going to pull in 4th or 5th at barely 1,000 rpm. This is in the Cascades, our hills are what easterners call mountains... And as noted, I haven't checked IP timing since getting the engine back in one piece. That's a task for this weekend.
1000rpm? well i didn't think you were talking that low lol. i've driven all over the country. i know what big mountains are ;)

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
I joke that I live in Tenunda -- because the fastest the locals ever go is ten unda the posted limit. And they corner like there's an open cup of coffee sitting on the dashboard, although the likely reason is their nose is buried in their phone. When I'm on the bike I just pass everyone to stay out of harm's way.

To be honest, much of this is just getting used to the car and to driving a light car with a manual again. In the last 10 years I've had a manual car for 6 months -- the Saab 9-5 wagon, which was definitely biased to higher RPM driving (and raucous wheelspin). Prior to that was an Audi A6 with a V6 and auto, and way back, a Toyota FJ60 with a 4 speed -- heavy, all torque, no revs. The Volvo I am leaving (a V70 XC wagon) is tuned for the torque needed to push around its bulk, so it's happy plodding along, and it drinks fuel like the pseudo-Suburban it is.

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
Finally got around to adjusting the IP timing today. It was below the lower limit of the graph when I plugged in. After a few attempts it landed at about 2/3 of the way between the middle and top of the range, good enough. Didn't drive it home tonight but I am betting that will make it feel a bit stronger.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
When I bought my ALH, I was time constrained (moving and working) and intimidated by German vehicles.

Anuthee brought it up to snuff, and Kerma tuned it. S7, PP520’s and accompaniments. They said don’t delete the EGR, I followed their advice. That was 273k miles on the car.

Just did the timing belt for the gal I sold the car too. 365k miles. EGR was spick-n-span like it was newly installed.

Non of my TDI’s like to lug down and pull like my 24v. Up over our “hill” my tuned ones happily pull it in high gear at 2200. My stock ALH liked 4th and 2700-ish. (All standards)

Why do you want to run it at 1500 rpms? Your out of boost and I’m not sure your doing the engine any favors for the small mpg gain....especially stock. heck these things spin 2800+ on the interstate for hours and still return upper 40’s.

Our short passing zones sucked with a stock ALH and still suck with my unknown tuned B5.5. Tune it and maybe you’ll be happier. Hope the timing bump helps.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Our short passing zones sucked with a stock ALH and still suck with my unknown tuned B5.5.
This is my only real complaint with my stock 2003. In most all driving situations, I completely forget about the 90 hrsprs rating because of the torque (I guess). But when I'm on the highway and put the hammer down to pass someone, barely anything happens.