Are there any big differences besides looks to the 2015 Golf TDi?

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I really like the looks of the 2015 Golf. For my driving, a TDi model will work best. What are the differences besides the looks to the 2015 model? Did they fix the HPFP failure from the previous years? Any significant changes past looks in the new 2015 model would be much appreciated.

My local VW dealer won't be getting any in for about another month. I have however drove the 2015 Golf GTI and it was a lot of fun, and loved the car. Just really need the fuel economy and durability for all the highway driving I do, so the TDi would do me best.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Soooo, I didn't read anything about the HPFP failure. I guess that was my biggest concern given the MK6 issues with them.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Soooo, I didn't read anything about the HPFP failure. I guess that was my biggest concern given the MK6 issues with them.
My theory is HPFP went away since NMS Passat and HPFP will not carry over to EA288. My question though is will the NMS Passat turbo issue carry over to EA288. A non-conclusive hint (turbo size) seems to point to yes. Miles on EA288 (especially in the bigger models) will tell.

Of course no one but VW knows. But I'm pretty sure VW knows by now, and gives us for you to find out part.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
One substantial improvement is the frontal small offset crash results went from 5 coffins to 5 stars.

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
I think id rather have turbo issue than fuel. I wonder if it is cooling issue or overboost or oil on the Passat ones. Any where to read up on that issue in case this has the same turbo? We just got our 2015 golf.

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
I think we are too early in this model to know that... I'm sure VW made changes and design improvements. However, we will only know when folks start getting some miles on their EA288 engines. There will still be the occasional misfuel and subsequent failure, but don't let that scare you. I have 151K on my 2010 CR TDI with no failures. As always, make sure you buy quality fuel from a well-maintained station with high turnover. Use a lubricity additive for extra insurance. Then, Drive More and Worry Less!

At least the 2015 Golf TDI owners will have 10 or 15K miles of testing in for me by the time I'm in the market for the forthcoming Golf Sportwagen!;)