Are all years effected by bad dual mass flywheels (DSG)?

Sugarkryptonite

TDI
None
Basically question in my title. I always thought that 06's were the only ones with DMF problems, but I'm seeing videos online of 2011's as well. Did VW ever fix the problem or what?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
The dmf is a wear part being it's sprung. It's not if it's when it'll fail. The earlier ones failed faster. But the later ones still fail. Mines starting to rattle. 160k.
Town driving will kill it faster, as well as driving really hard. Hwy driving makes them last longer. But my dad had his replaced under 120k. He's got the dieselgate tune and I'm malone tuned.... And he doesn't drive hard while I do... So it's all a handtoss.

Sugarkryptonite

TDI
None
The dmf is a wear part being it's sprung. It's not if it's when it'll fail. The earlier ones failed faster. But the later ones still fail. Mines starting to rattle. 160k.
Town driving will kill it faster, as well as driving really hard. Hwy driving makes them last longer. But my dad had his replaced under 120k. He's got the dieselgate tune and I'm malone tuned.... And he doesn't drive hard while I do... So it's all a handtoss.
Thanks. So basically any DSG will have it fall eventually. Is the fix a single mass or can’t use that on a DSG?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Not a good idea. There are more than one VW transmission designed for a DMF where and smf will cause internal damage to the transmiaaion over time.
The DMF is there to absorb vibrations from the 4 cyl diesel. SMFs allow more of those vibrations, and the transmission can suffer as a result.
However, there are aome vw transmissions which are just fine with an SMF, but to try it you would be in uncharted territory.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks. So basically any DSG will have it fall eventually. Is the fix a single mass or can’t use that on a DSG?
Yeah even the older manuals had a dmf. While you could put a smf on. It would kill the trans eventually. Even a smf on a manual takes a gear out eventually. So on a DSG, only a dmf should be used. Just something you have to budget for. I should have mine done now that I'm laid off. It's not sounding bad so I'll wait.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Several items to correct here:
  1. Early DMFs weren't "bad." As posted above, they have a service life. The life of early ones wasn't as long as it should have been, but they weren't necessarily faulty.
  2. The first TDIs in NA did not have DMFs. A3 Jettas and B4 Passats had SMFs.
  3. An SMF swap will not "kill" an 02J transmission. Many people here have driven hundreds of thousands of miles in TDIs with SMFs swapped in. They've lasted fine. And it's rare that any A3 or B4 ever had a DMF, and those transmissions last a long time. The 02Q six-speed? That's another story.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
As one who retrofitted a DMF into their B4, I would not put an SMF back into it. Drive-throughs are much more workable when you can hear the person on the other end of the speaker.

Gears in the transmission rattled rather loudly until I switched it over to a DMF.

That said, There are some transmissions which (like the O2J and O2A) are fine with an SMF. Others are not and have broken synchro rings from the vibrations.

I would not risk it personally.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Gears (or the output shaft) did rattle with the G60 clutch because it didn't have a dampener in the center of the disc. The OE Sachs replacement SMF clutch kit is quiet. South Bend Clutch has for years not build their performance clutches from the Sachs OE replacement, and they're quiet.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think the OP was talking about the DSGs.... which are all DMFs, and have no conversion available because the DMF is by default an integral and necessary part of how the DSG works.

The CR TDIs run smoother, so they seem to be easier on DMFs with the 02E DSG transmission.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I think the OP was talking about the DSGs.... which are all DMFs, and have no conversion available because the DMF is by default an integral and necessary part of how the DSG works.

The CR TDIs run smoother, so they seem to be easier on DMFs with the 02E DSG transmission.
Yeah they got on a tangent. Lol. It happens.

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
Basically question in my title. I always thought that 06's were the only ones with DMF problems, but I'm seeing videos online of 2011's as well. Did VW ever fix the problem or what?
My 2011 started to rattle on cold start up at about 70k miles and I had it replaced last year at around 82k miles.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
they arent forever ive got 2 in line to change interested to see how much time i save on #2.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
wow! that explains why my old 2011 JSW I personally bought brand new and racked to 300k miles and she still sported her original DMF due to 99 percent highway driving. when I turned her in for the buyback program with rear ended damage, if not for that I would have kept her.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
wow! that explains why my old 2011 JSW I personally bought brand new and racked to 300k miles and she still sported her original DMF due to 99 percent highway driving. when I turned her in for the buyback program with rear ended damage, if not for that I would have kept her.
That and if you grandma drive, have no tune, drive all hwy. Etc. Mine lasted longer than normal. I have 180mi trip m-f. About 15mi of it is city.