TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI
Are the following all the same?
  • 2010 Golf Wagon (CAN)
  • 2010 Jetta Sportswagen (USA/Mexico)
  • 2010 Golf Variant (EU/AUS/NZ ect.)
  • 2010 Golf Estate (UK)
Canada New Zealand Germany USA UK

Interesting how there are slight variations depending on which part of the world you are from.

Last edited:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Yup. :) Essentially the same vehicle, but with different trims/packages.

Someone in Illinois got a Jetta Sportwagen with a 'Golf' badge on the rear. Little goof-up after siesta time at the factory. :D

homac

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI
Yes it is a little funny actually.

Not exactly sure why there are different names, however when I check the detailed specifications they are all the same. Only differences I can see is the options offered within each package (Comfortline/Highline).

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
homac said:
Not exactly sure why there are different names,....
It's all marketing and perception. In Europe and Canada, the Golf name has more respect. 'Street cred.' :) The 2010 Golf got the 'World Car of the Year' award, and is a top-selling car. But in the U.S., the Golf is viewed as a modern Dodge Omni, and is one of VW's lowest sellers. The Jetta sedan, however, does well. Others have stated here that in Germany, the Jetta is seen as an 'old man's car', like we see a Park Avenue or Crown Vic. So in the U.S., where 'Golf' = 'cheap' and 'Jetta' = 'cool', we get a Jetta Sportwagen rather than a Golf Wagon.

The U.S. is just backwards, that's all. :)

homac

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI
So that just leaves us with the UK name.. :rolleyes:

frugality said:
It's all marketing and perception. In Europe and Canada, the Golf name has more respect. 'Street cred.' :) The 2010 Golf got the 'World Car of the Year' award, and is a top-selling car. But in the U.S., the Golf is viewed as a modern Dodge Omni, and is one of VW's lowest sellers. The Jetta sedan, however, does well. Others have stated here that in Germany, the Jetta is seen as an 'old man's car', like we see a Park Avenue or Crown Vic. So in the U.S., where 'Golf' = 'cheap' and 'Jetta' = 'cool', we get a Jetta Sportwagen rather than a Golf Wagon.

The U.S. is just backwards, that's all. :)

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
meh, I find my golf cool and have already gotten some compliments from complete strangers (in a parking lot, in a drive through, at a stoplight)..

...go figure

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Don't get me wrong, I love my Golf. It's just that in general, people tend to like Jettas better -- they're 'normal' cars, and the hatchbacks are the 'cheap' cars. I've had folks ask inquisitively what my car was. They could see it was a VW, but didn't know what model. "Golf", I say. They react as if they've never heard of it before. :rolleyes:

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
Someone in Illinois got a Jetta Sportwagen with a 'Golf' badge on the rear. Little goof-up after siesta time at the factory.
I had an '83 Buick with an Oldsmobile badge on the trunk. We never let the dealer change it. We thought it kind of collectible.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I got the VW rubber floor mats from my dealer when I got my Golf 10 years ago, and they have a New Beetle pattern in the ribbing, though they are made for the Jetta/Golf. :confused: I've dealt with it for 10 years. ;)

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
It is funny because people never knew what my R32 was either.. I ended up just calling it a Golf most of the time because 99.9% of people had no clue but they seemed to know what a golf was. (talking co-workers, people I was meeting for a date, 'I'll me in the blue golf'. stuff like that...

what's ironic is I'm the girl but guys had no clue what an R32 was... obviously those dates didn't go very far.... haha