APR ECU upgrade for 2.0TDI??

undertow999

TDI
2013 Passat SE w/sunoof
OK, I am confused...
I know a while ago, APR pulled out ECU upgrade for US B7 Passat (NSM), but now it is back:
http://www.goapr.com/products/?vehicle=Passat_B7
Does that mean What I wish it is?
I was on their site a few weeks back and this wasn't on it, so it looks like they brought it back. Pretty awesome. Luckily I have a handful of apr dealers local to me. Woohoo!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Can anyone comment on dyno comparison to Malone and APR?
I have only seen dyno numbers for the 2.0L engine in the Jetta/Golf, not for the new Passat. Therefore these comparisons might not be perfect. I found the APR dyno numbers to be disappointing compared to Malone, RocketChip, Revo, etc. It appears to be a relatively mild tune.

Since the NMS (Passat) has a smaller turbocharger, the tunes may behave differently, so the comparison to the Jetta/Golf engine might not be completely accurate. We will have to wait until somebody posts Passat before-and-after dyno runs to know for sure how the different tuner's performance varies. Now that APR has officially released their tune, they will probably post their own dyno results eventually.

Have Fun!

Don

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
They do have a dyno chart on their site comparing APR tune to stock. I called APR and talked with them. My main reason for considering the tune is to decrease hesitation in take off acceleration from a dead stop when pulling into traffic, and responsiveness to throttle across the entire band. They said there is an improvement and suggested I try it as there is no fee for trying and not buying if it doesn't live up to one's expectations.
Very worried about warranty issues with the tune, but with a local APR dealer and there is a problem, I can always have them pull the tune out before taking it in for warranty work. But, I'm concerned about having the APR tune and taking the car in for normal service and having a note put on the car's record that there is an aftermarket tune that would void warranty work down the line. Oh, and the response to my question regarding how the tune affects MPGs, the answer was that it was not negative and some even experienced higher MPGs at freeway speeds.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
They have released it several times, and then when people actually go to get it done it isn't available. There is a post on Vortex where his local dealer(Also an APR Dealer) pulled his ECU per APR tech support, and sent it to APR. They then responded that they don't actually have a tune for the NMS Passat yet. I would Double check before you plan on getting this tune, because my gut feeling says it isn't available. The post on Vortex was recent, within the past few weeks.

gprabhu

TDI
2013 TDI SE
I spoke to APR today. Apparently this is for the B7/NMS TDI. APR has tried the tune on several cars. They have one in their fleet, which is a 2013 6M, and it has the tune.
I asked about the DSG, and they said that they have tried it on a few DSG's. This tune is for the ECM and does not require a DSG tune. I asked about the shift points etc., and he said that their tune doesn't require it.
The tune has 5 semi-dynamic maps. Stock and Performance will be the tunes that are applicable "for the car to move".:)
APR doesn't have any data on adblue consumption, regen freq etc. Their guess is that it will remain the same.
I also spoke to the local dealer, BAR Tuning, in Houston. BAR hasn't done an NMS/B7 yet.
I am curious about Malone's vs APR comparisons.
BTW, price is $599 at local dealer. Plus either $57 or $157, depending on whether the ECM does not have to removed or removed to program.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I spoke to APR today. Apparently this is for the B7/NMS TDI. APR has tried the tune on several cars. They have one in their fleet, which is a 2013 6M, and it has the tune.
I asked about the DSG, and they said that they have tried it on a few DSG's. This tune is for the ECM and does not require a DSG tune. I asked about the shift points etc., and he said that their tune doesn't require it.
The tune has 5 semi-dynamic maps. Stock and Performance will be the tunes that are applicable "for the car to move".:)
APR doesn't have any data on adblue consumption, regen freq etc. Their guess is that it will remain the same.
I also spoke to the local dealer, BAR Tuning, in Houston. BAR hasn't done an NMS/B7 yet.
I am curious about Malone's vs APR comparisons.
BTW, price is $599 at local dealer. Plus either $57 or $157, depending on whether the ECM does not have to removed or removed to program.
ECM has to be removed. No other way to program the ECM in our Passats.

The B7, and the NMS have different motors, and ECM's. Please report back if you get it done.

I still think adding power to these cars without tweaking the DSG is a bad idea, and wastes A LOT of the potential in the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
ECM has to be removed. No other way to program the ECM in our Passats.

The B7, and the NMS have different motors, and ECM's. Please report back if you get it done.

I still think adding power to these cars without tweaking the DSG is a bad idea, and wastes A LOT of the potential in the car.
I agree with all of this and will add that an extra $100 (plus labor) over a Malone tune is very steep (although Malone recommends a DSG tune). Rocketchip is the budget player at under $400 for an engine tune.

I also agree that doing an engine tune without a DSG tune does not take full advantage of what the engine has to offer, as the transmission is programmed to hold gears entirely too long in stock form.

That said, I'd love to see some actual dyno graphs of one of these APR tunes on a Passat. Anyone feel like being a guinnea pig in APR's diesel adventure? ;)

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
All I want is a tune for the manual Passat like I had for my 2006 Jetta. I could care less about speed and power...I want economy!

Come on Green Diesel Engineering!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Talk to the various suppliers and see what can be done. :)

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
All I want is a tune for the manual Passat like I had for my 2006 Jetta. I could care less about speed and power...I want economy!

Come on Green Diesel Engineering!
A power tune is always more economical if you use the go fast pedal less. The car is already tuned for economy minus the DPF. Problem is that it is too much fun to use the power!!!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
A power tune is always more economical if you use the go fast pedal less. The car is already tuned for economy minus the DPF. Problem is that it is too much fun to use the power!!!
Oh I hear ya! I loved the GDE tune on the Jetta, it had an economy and power setting. The power setting still improved economy...if you could keep your foot out of it!
Anyhow, I would be inclined to try a tune (pre warranty expiration) if I could get a 16% MPG gain like I did in the Jetta.

Last edited:

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
I love my Malone tune and looking at the dyno chart and the cars they are comparing ours with is all wrong, different turbos. My tune is awesome, I ran my passat at Dub Deliverance 3 yesterday and I have to say it was awesome, I was able to keep up with my buddies in the turns who had an R32 and an R stage 2+ but yeah they had me on the straight, I don't own a race car, but with the malone tune and my suspension set up I didn't miss my GTI since I kept passing them on the straights :)

KW Street Comfort Coilovers with adjustable damper(rebound set on 2), H&R Sway bars front and rear and the best part a Malone tune made Dub Deliverance 3 unforgettable.
My car is middle third one from the front.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Glad it performed well on the track! Pretty awesome. :D

wild_phil

TDI
None yet
Subscribed. Good info here folks. I am a dealer for a ton of diesel truck part conpanies, might be time to get in to TDI stuff as well.

Learning about TDI's.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
KW Street Comfort Coilovers with adjustable damper(rebound set on 2), H&R Sway bars front and rear and the best part a Malone tune made Dub Deliverance 3 unforgettable.
Definitely not the Summit Point Circuit, looks like the Shenandoah Circuit, but I have only driven on it once. Looks to big to be Jefferson.

Glad you had fun. I would love to feel how your car handles. How much did the coil-overs drop your car? Did you get it on the track before you did the coil-overs? Curious how it felt different wise, or if it actually made a difference in the time.

Some people drop there cars, when in fact a little body roll can sometimes be good if it is predictable.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
Definitely not the Summit Point Circuit, looks like the Shenandoah Circuit, but I have only driven on it once. Looks to big to be Jefferson.

Glad you had fun. I would love to feel how your car handles. How much did the coil-overs drop your car? Did you get it on the track before you did the coil-overs? Curious how it felt different wise, or if it actually made a difference in the time.

Some people drop there cars, when in fact a little body roll can sometimes be good if it is predictable.
Any time you are up in Nova, let me know and I can take you for a ride ;-)

Drop was about 1.5-2 inches all the way around, but since they are coilovers I can drop it a little more but I like the height.

I've had the coilovers for over a year and last year it was only an R event, so nope this was the first time. There was 2 instructors that were amazed at how well it handled and asked what I did to it. One instructor rode in the rental 2.5 passat before riding in mine and commented that it was like night and day the difference and me and the car work well together.

This set up is amazing on daily street and offers the adjustable damper(Rebound) so I was able to tighten it up on the track. I also figured out how to turn off the tractions control, just for the event (It threw a a bunch of lights and warnings, but it was off and fun to drive around the track!)

Totally worth it and wouldn't change one this about the suspension. I need stickier tires, but that is all I would change. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sport + with over 35K miles on them so they are shot. I am replacing them this week or next with Michelin A/S 3's as I am not tracking my car till next year and by then maybe I will have some beater wheels.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I will echo your instructors' comments. The car feels very well balanced and the ride quality is outstanding. I was expecting the coilovers to provide more of a harsh ride, but they didn't. Your setup is dialed in very well - night and day difference, for sure. :cool:

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
Just got APR ECU upgraded today! The car became much more responsive, and powerful. Though, only one program can exist, that means I could not switch back to stock...

Also, there was a check engine light lit at one point. It is gone now some how. Don't know what was going on. Will check back with APR dealer on Monday.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, there was a check engine light lit at one point. It is gone now some how. Don't know what was going on. Will check back with APR dealer on Monday.
If there was a CEL, there is a stored fault code (DTC). It would be helpful to APR to know what the fault was; then they can fix their tune so it doesn't throw codes.

Have Fun!

Don

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
If there was a CEL, there is a stored fault code (DTC). It would be helpful to APR to know what the fault was; then they can fix their tune so it doesn't throw codes.

Have Fun!

Don
Thanks! Will I be able to look for that info using VCDS cable?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks! Will I be able to look for that info using VCDS cable?
That is the best way to do it. VCDS speaks VW's own proprietary language. It will usually give you a lot more info than a generic CAN bus scanner. If you have (or have access to) a VCDS cable, either do an autoscan or just scan the engine controller for faults.

Have Fun!

Don

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
That is the best way to do it. VCDS speaks VW's own proprietary language. It will usually give you a lot more info than a generic CAN bus scanner. If you have (or have access to) a VCDS cable, either do an autoscan or just scan the engine controller for faults.

Have Fun!

Don
Will do tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi

Have Fun!

Don
So I checked. Here are the errors:

Address 01: Engine (J623-CKRA) Labels: 03L-906-012-CKR.clb
Part No SW: 03L 906 012 BP HW: 03L 907 309 S
Component: R4 2,0L EDC H21 2158
Revision: 71H21--- Serial number:
Coding: 001D0012042400008000
Shop #: WSC 09003 957 00200
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI01103L906012BP 004004
ROD: EV_ECM20TDI01103L906012BP.rod
VCID: 73EFECB0DA42D186991-8026

3 Faults Found:
8848 - Torque Difference Cylinder 3
P1006 00 [032] - Limit Value Exceeded
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 34
Reset counter: 44
Mileage: 5523 km
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 00:00:00

8849 - Torque Difference Cylinder 4
P1007 00 [044] - Limit Value Exceeded
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 3
Mileage: 33921 km
Date: 2018.14.21
Time: 07:08:57

5523 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 00 [032] - -
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Frequency: 3
Mileage: 33921 km
Time: 07:08:57

Readiness: 0 1 0 0 0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 BL HW: 1K0 907 379 BL
Component: ESP MK60EC1 H31 0152
Revision: 00H31001
Coding: C54BC0F5492700FEA30B03E7921F0042A71000
Shop #: WSC 09003 957 00200
VCID: 7DFBCA88E40697F6FF5-8028

1 Fault Found:
01325 - Control Module for Tire Pressure Monitoring (J502)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100100
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 230
Mileage: 33851 km
Time Indication: 0
Time: 00:00:57

Freeze Frame:
Count: 16386