Appointment set for my 2.0L TDI Engine (GEN 3) Emissions Control Software - Stg 1 Mod

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
A squirrel (or other rodent) chewed through a wire going to a fan control module plug. No on dash codes were showing, but AC doesn't run if there isn't positive fan control. The loose looking cable at the rear left is apparently a heat shield for a small wire & no big deal if not directly attached to the component the wire is attached to.

Nick
damn rodentia! glad to read that the problem is fixed - enjoy your ride!

willie
on the fruit rat-infested Gulf of Mexico

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
I'm scheduled for today so I will let you know how it goes.

PS: DO NOT have the fix done "before" VW approves your settlement agreement. You will void your payout.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I had mine done on the 14th and I haven't noticed any difference. Except, it is supposed to use more DEF.

sdroberts97

TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6M
Thanks to all who have already posted on your experiences with the emissions repair. Your reports helped me make my decision to keep my '15 GSW. I completed phase 1 on 2/17. Have driven about 200 miles since then and have not noticed any significant differences in performance. We'll see how the mileage looks at the next fill-up.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE: first fill-up following the Phase 1 Emissions Modification

10333 miles at dealer, filled tank
10736 miles at fill-up today, 10.33 gallon
====
403 miles = 39.01mpg combined city/highway (25-50mph county roads)

with no performance loss - and just today, had first regen since the service

willie
on the 'a smile with every mile' Gulf of Mexico

4SpeedEra

TDI
2015 Sportwagen SE-6sp
Got the Phase 1 fix last week. Using the on-board mpg calculator, the mileage is at least as good, maybe better. (I hope VW has fiddled with the calculator, as maybe that will make me eligible for another $7500!) The performance has not changed noticeably, though I rarely accelerate at full throttle, so what do I know? I took noise measurements under various conditions, and got identical numbers before and after the "fix." Only change I've noticed, is that I'm a lot happier now. It feels like I'm driving a new car again!

saganian1

TDI
2015 MK7 Golf TDI 6MT 5D
hello guys, i chose the buyback option. the letter was submitted and approved, even had the buyback date scheduled.

after reading all of your reports, i think it is sensible to keep the car with it modified by the dealer.

so, what do you guys think? will vw void the buyback and modify the car?

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
From what I have read here is you call the portal and have them either reset and you choose the fix, or maybe they change it for you. But take it from someone has done this.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
yep, you must call... can't do it on-line... the wife unit and i discussed what to do before making the choice (didn't take that long really) - the big unknown was how the Phase 1 Emissions Modification was going to play out...

glad we kept our wagen!

good luck to all who either do a buyback or modification - looks like a win-win for both sides!

willie
on the 'smile with every mile' Gulf of Mexico

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
yep, you must call... can't do it on-line... the wife unit and i discussed what to do before making the choice (didn't take that long really) - the big unknown was how the Phase 1 Emissions Modification was going to play out...

glad we kept our wagen!

good luck to all who either do a buyback or modification - looks like a win-win for both sides!

willie
on the 'smile with every mile' Gulf of Mexico
I see no rain on the Gulf of Mexico today Willie, yeah? :)

So far this thread is very positive, very good news.

Please keep the reports coming.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Decided to keep mine...
Send my copies of registrations and I'd yesterday....
Got my offer letter today!
That was fast....
Seems things must be getting faster.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Decided to keep mine...
Send my copies of registrations and I'd yesterday....
Got my offer letter today!
That was fast....
Seems things must be getting faster.
It appears VW likes it when we choose to keep the car and fix it.
If you originally wanted the fix and decided to change to a buyback, you had to call and wait for them to reset your account, days even weeks. Going from buyback to fix they can reset your account while you are on the phone with them.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
It appears VW likes it when we choose to keep the car and fix it.
If you originally wanted the fix and decided to change to a buyback, you had to call and wait for them to reset your account, days even weeks. Going from buyback to fix they can reset your account while you are on the phone with them.

Dirty pool:mad:

vw is in the tank for less pay out ~~ fast(er) service for the "FIX."

JohnBlutarsky

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
I got the fix done ten days ago and the car ran great with no noticeable change. Got my $4200 a few days later. I then got re-tuned by KermaTDI yesterday and, of course, it's fantastic. Very happy to be keeping the car!

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
Got mine done on Tuesday. Heard from Chase on Thursday, Had my money today, Friday.
No issues at the dealership. They were prepared for this update.
Setting up the Chase account has a hassle.
Any popup blocker and some anti virus programs keep you from either registering for the account, or completing the money transfer. So be prepared to try a different browser and turn off you virus program.
The help desk at Chase was helpful in correcting these issues.

Heading from SC to OK in a couple weeks and will report after that long trip.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got mine done on Tuesday. Heard from Chase on Thursday, Had my money today, Friday.
No issues at the dealership. They were prepared for this update.
Setting up the Chase account has a hassle.
Any popup blocker and some anti virus programs keep you from either registering for the account, or completing the money transfer. So be prepared to try a different browser and turn off you virus program.
The help desk at Chase was helpful in correcting these issues.

Heading from SC to OK in a couple weeks and will report after that long trip.
Wave as you pass Tulsa

We will be interested in your MPG

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
I got the fix done ten days ago and the car ran great with no noticeable change. Got my $4200 a few days later. I then got re-tuned by KermaTDI yesterday and, of course, it's fantastic. Very happy to be keeping the car!
Any idea how the tune might affect getting Phase 2? Are you planning to get Phase 2 when it comes?

JohnBlutarsky

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Any idea how the tune might affect getting Phase 2? Are you planning to get Phase 2 when it comes?
I imagine it should go just as smoothly as this one: flash back to stock, take car in, get the fix, and then have Charlie at Kerma develop the new tune. I don't think there will be anything about Phase 2 that he can't handle. So yeah, I plan on getting Phase 2, unless it turns into something super complicated.

ntwrkd

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd SEL
2015 Jetta 6MT, 36,500 miles. Phase 1 fix Tuesday 2/28/17 8:15 AM.. Dealer couldn't get into site to enter data. Waited 15 minutes for the site to come online. Took about an hour. Haven't used a full tank yet but from my experience (Fuelly and very attentive to my on board computer readings) no discernible difference in mpg, drivability, acceleration, noise. I think the people posting about the increased throttle response are DSG owners and most likely learning mode is engaged still. My manual is exactly the same as before the fix. Email sent Wednesday, money was in my account Thursday. Registering for Chase took maybe 2 minutes on my phone. Very smooth transaction all around. 42 tdi's on the lot with reg stickers peeled off assuming these were buybacks. I will report back after a few tanks but that will probably be in about a month as 1 get 2 weeks on a tank.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
I imagine it should go just as smoothly as this one: flash back to stock, take car in, get the fix, and then have Charlie at Kerma develop the new tune. I don't think there will be anything about Phase 2 that he can't handle. So yeah, I plan on getting Phase 2, unless it turns into something super complicated.
Okay, thanks! I would definitely be interested in a tune at some point. I was thinking it would be wise to wait until I'm out of manufacturer warranty though. That's a little less than a year for me, so maybe I'll get the phase 2 and then tune it.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Having 2nd thoughts after seeing this thread. buyback date is tues. Still not sold on a replacement car except maybe a pre-fixed 2015 "new" tdi.

Anyone know if the extended warranty with the fix covers salvaged title cars?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Having 2nd thoughts after seeing this thread. buyback date is tues. Still not sold on a replacement car except maybe a pre-fixed 2015 "new" tdi. <snip>

"New" TDI before it is fixed?

Are look taking about a new-ish 2015 as in a used 2015?

Private owners who have one CAN sell them

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Having 2nd thoughts after seeing this thread. buyback date is tues. Still not sold on a replacement car except maybe a pre-fixed 2015 "new" tdi.

Anyone know if the extended warranty with the fix covers salvaged title cars?
As pointed out in the other thread, the current fix is for gen 3 cars only. You have a gen 1.

Look on autotrader, there are lots of 2015 TDIs listed from dealers saying they are selling as new. Not sure how unless it's just bait and switch or asking for a deposit on something until they get the green light to fix and sell them. Either way, I would be very surprised if you can find an unfixed 2015 at a VW dealer.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Not sure how unless it's just bait and switch or asking for a deposit on something until they get the green light to fix and sell them.
It's exactly a bait and switch--there are no new TDIs legally for sale in the United States. Dealers (VW and otherwise) are free to sell used TDIs, including MY2015 (and even MY2016 3-liters) though. I bought my A3 last October from an Audi dealer.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The only fix released has been for Gen 3.

allenazali

TDI
2015 Golf manual
campaign fix for 15 Golf TDI

Has anybody noticed a slightly wet tailpipe after the fix? My tailpipe used to be bone dry before the fix. Is it me or does the air/fuel seem to be burning rich?

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
This will be my final update. I now have 5,000 miles on the "fix" and my results are:

My MPG has increased 5%. My MPG is 42-45 with spirited driving (80% highway.) While I use the manualmatic to downshift, as opposed to accelerating and the car downshifting on its own, it gives me the acceleration I am accustomed to. I've adjusted my driving habits to account for this and am no longer bothered by it.

The Adblue consumption is 150% of what it used to be. I'm ok with that as I top off my tank every 5K when I rotate my tires.

I will be going with a tune but have yet to purchase it. I hope this has helped someone make their decision to sell or keep.

Drive safe.