Appointment set for my 2.0L TDI Engine (GEN 3) Emissions Control Software - Stg 1 Mod

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
update:

back from dealer, sticker affixed, so now we wait until Phase 2!

car CPU reports 36.1mpg in city driving for the 1st 100 miles following the reflash (will do paper and pencil calcs upon next fill-up)

willie
on the 'relax and drive' Gulf of Mexico

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Nutty shrink your pictures for us yeah? It's ginormous. I've never seen my signature exist on one line before.

troms

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S
Got my 2015 GSW M6 done a week ago. I DO notice slightly less turbo lag off the line. Mine seemed to go into regen at some point daily, regardless of miles driven, for the first 3 or 4 days. I believe I had plenty of time on the road for the cycle to complete, so maybe this is a difference. I'm very happy to be keeping my wagon. After warranty/performance/restitution info came together, it seems the obvious choice for a 2015 owner, unless you don't like the car or you choose not to own a VW for awhile.
One thing I will say is that people saying things like, "I filled up the same day of the week", or "It took the usual amount of fuel", or "I got 500 miles on a full tank like usual" etc... PLEASE KNOW THAT NONE OF THAT IS AN INDICATION OF ANYTHING. YOUR THINKING IS COMPLETELY INVALID, AND YOUR ASSUMPTIONS AS TO THE MARGIN OF ERROR ARE ARBITRARY AT BEST. You might as well blindly throw darts at mpg numbers on a board. Seriously friends, it's a two-second grade school calculation. You could also pay $0 for any number of very simple car-related apps that will calculate for you and keep ALL THE VALUABLE AND NECESSARY INFORMATION that you WILL need to keep your car running properly. Instead of a mechanic ripping your car apart to evaluate it's condition, you can have all the answers in your pocket. It's tough for me to understand someone buying a new car and not keeping an accurate log of all fueling and maintenance.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm still old fashioned enough that I keep a notebook in each car and record each fill and maintenance interval. I may not calculate mileage on every fill but I can tell in a glance if something doesn't look right.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I used to do the car notes myself, but I finally gave it up for fuelly and my own spreadsheet. I've got 13-14 years of history on my Beetle in that spreadsheet - each vehicle gets it's own sheet. Locally - I just take the receipts (which I've added odometer and tripmeter readings) and add it to the pertinent worksheet.

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
Just a quick update. I have right at 1250 miles on my Stage 1 right now and opted to see how much AdBlue it would take to top off my tank. (I filled it just before driving 20 miles for the update.) My car took right at 30 oz. I failed to measure exactly how much I used to use but I vaguely recall about 64 oz for around 5,000 miles. This seems to be twice as much as previously. I would be interested in hearing how much others are using.

Drive safe.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Just a quick update. I have right at 1250 miles on my Stage 1 right now and opted to see how much AdBlue it would take to top off my tank. (I filled it just before driving 20 miles for the update.) My car took right at 30 oz. I failed to measure exactly how much I used to use but I vaguely recall about 64 oz for around 5,000 miles. This seems to be twice as much as previously. I would be interested in hearing how much others are using.

Drive safe.
Let us know about your MPG,, please

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Consistently 40 MPG +/- 0.1 MPG, the same I was getting with similar driving habits, prior to the flash. Please note, this is based on the computer display readout. I do not calculate my MPG by hand.

Drive safe.
VERY thank you:D

I too mostly only do the computer display

I have found on my car it is 'bout 1.5 % differant than the pencil reading.

and as far as that goes, the (1.5 %) difference MIGHT be in the "fill up" cut off point of the automatic pump. I do the same QT pump, and set it at the same speed of "FLOW" until it automatically stops

Thanks again - Please keep us up to date

makattack

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI/S/Manual
It's tough for me to understand someone buying a new car and not keeping an accurate log of all fueling and maintenance.
With my history of having an enlisted military experience in the 90's, as a armored vehicle crewman (19D Cavalry Scout) where I was primarily the driver for M113's, M551's, HMMWV's, and M2/M3's, I had to chuckle at this comment. When I left the military, I found myself performing a way too detailed vehicle POM/PM (Preventive Operator Maintenance) and vehicle checklist with every fuelup (as opposed to everytime I started the vehicle, which I acknowledged was too extreme). It consisted of checking all fluid levels, tire pressures, belts, hoses, and battery charge level.

I've fallen way off that in the decades since leaving the military. Now, while I still log my fuel usage, I'm really only checking oil and tires about every other fill up.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got my 2015 GSW M6 done a week ago. I DO notice slightly less turbo lag off the line. Mine seemed to go into regen at some point daily, regardless of miles driven, for the first 3 or 4 days. I believe I had plenty of time on the road for the cycle to complete, so maybe this is a difference. I'm very happy to be keeping my wagon. After warranty/performance/restitution info came together, it seems the obvious choice for a 2015 owner, unless you don't like the car or you choose not to own a VW for awhile.
One thing I will say is that people saying things like, "I filled up the same day of the week", or "It took the usual amount of fuel", or "I got 500 miles on a full tank like usual" etc... PLEASE KNOW THAT NONE OF THAT IS AN INDICATION OF ANYTHING. YOUR THINKING IS COMPLETELY INVALID, AND YOUR ASSUMPTIONS AS TO THE MARGIN OF ERROR ARE ARBITRARY AT BEST. You might as well blindly throw darts at mpg numbers on a board. Seriously friends, it's a two-second grade school calculation. You could also pay $0 for any number of very simple car-related apps that will calculate for you and keep ALL THE VALUABLE AND NECESSARY INFORMATION that you WILL need to keep your car running properly. Instead of a mechanic ripping your car apart to evaluate it's condition, you can have all the answers in your pocket. It's tough for me to understand someone buying a new car and not keeping an accurate log of all fueling and maintenance.
Your post reminds me (a little) of Howard Hughs ~ did I spell his name right?

As for my self, the on board computer is good enough for goverment use

Tested against the "PENCIL" my runs about 1.5 % off

Way less than one MPG

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
Now, while I still log my fuel usage, I'm really only checking oil and tires about every other fill up.
well, with the remote tire pressure sensing life is a little easier... i do carry a 12V compressor in the spare well...

but if i had to rely on oil pressure readings at the dash i think it might be too late if i'd see low psi while underway

:eek:

willie (cwo3[ret])
on the steady-as-she-goes Gulf of Mexico

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The only cars that currently have a (partial) fix available are the MY2015 2-liter TDIs.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
thank you for the response. So i take it that the cars that can be software fixed are the ones' that use Adblue? my A3 doesn't have that system.
There has been mention of lessening the NOx regulations to enable some of these cars to be tweaked but nothing official. My guess is that nothing will be announced for at least another 12 months. CARB and EPA will want to see how effective the buyback program was before they approve any thing. If VW has hit the 85% target, then no fix.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There has been mention of lessening the NOx regulations to enable some of these cars to be tweaked but nothing official. My guess is that nothing will be announced for at least another 12 months. CARB and EPA will want to see how effective the buyback program was before they approve any thing. If VW has hit the 85% target, then no fix.
Strange how the "REG" elitist just up and change "stuff"

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
There has been mention of lessening the NOx regulations to enable some of these cars to be tweaked but nothing official.
Well, no. The settlement documents (specifically, the DOJ settlement documents--Appendix B, I think it is) specify the emissions standards the fix will need to meet, and those standards are less than full compliance with the initial certification. That's perfectly "official", not merely some folks on the Internet speculating. That's why there's a fix already out there for the Gen 3 cars--it doesn't meet the original standards, but it does meet the requirements of the settlement.

This is a completely separate question from what might happen to the NOx or other emissions regulations in the future.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks Dan. I just read through BB thread talking about the fix kit that is supposed to be coming for the Gen 1 cars. One of the earlier posts links back to the court document that gives the actual statement. I was going by the very dark and very windy paths through my brain.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=473780

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
mr. fish, here's a pic of the same spot under our S wagen's hood - looks same?

it does look weird, but hey, i'm no rocket scientist automotive engineer...

willie
on the don't-have-a-clue Gulf of Mexico
Your new NOx sensor that's supposed to be part of Phase I?

-- Nicole

Save

nikdfish

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Sportwagon SEL
Just popping back in to say I'm still getting weird fan operations. It sometimes starts up as soon as a door is opened.

Regarding the part 1 payment, our check was Fedex'd to us.

Just noticed a new weirdness, it was warm today & had the cabin temp set for about 5 degrees below ambient but the AC never got cold. Cranked it down to the minimum & still only got un-conditioned outside air coming in.

I'll be taking it in to the service dept. next week to get some answers after they have some hands-on time.

Nick

nikdfish

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Sportwagon SEL
Turns out both fan and AC issues had the same cause. A squirrel (or other rodent) chewed through a wire going to a fan control module plug. No on dash codes were showing, but AC doesn't run if there isn't positive fan control. The loose looking cable at the rear left is apparently a heat shield for a small wire & no big deal if not directly attached to the component the wire is attached to.

Nick

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Approved Settlement, Now what?

So my settlement option (fix) was uploaded and approved within two hours.

Will VW reach out to me to make the appointment or am I supposed to contact the dealer?

makattack

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI/S/Manual
So my settlement option (fix) was uploaded and approved within two hours.
Will VW reach out to me to make the appointment or am I supposed to contact the dealer?
You'll need to make the appointment yourself unless your dealer is particularly proactive.

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
Finally approved after many e-mails and a phone call. appointment on the 20th.