Appointment set for my 2.0L TDI Engine (GEN 3) Emissions Control Software - Stg 1 Mod

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
2) I have to agree with the automatic posters, there is something different about the shift points. Not so much in 1st thru 3rd, but running in 4th at about 50 mph, I'm still just shy of 2000 RPMs, and not feeling any pressure to go into 5th. Oddly, the idiot indicator (which I consider more annoying than guiding) is telling me to go 4->6. 6th gear at 50, when I'm not even close to 3000RPMs? I can see why the automatic people might be sluggish. And yes, I know, any serious driver ignores the dashboard advice anyway.
That doesn't really sound like the fix at work. My car before a fix is showing these "shift times" on the screen. I can be doing 47mph on a flat road and it will tell me to shift into 6th.

jfc2697

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6Speed
My Fix was done this morning and from what I can tell so far engine little louder but drives the same to me as it did b4. Time well tell and update more as I drive it more.

H3toTHIS

TDI
15 GSW
That doesn't really sound like the fix at work. My car before a fix is showing these "shift times" on the screen. I can be doing 47mph on a flat road and it will tell me to shift into 6th.
I guess I'm just being hypersensitive to possible changes...which maybe is a good thing, since so far, there don't seem to be any of significance (even if the 4->6 is valid, it's a manual, so who cares since I'm the one shifting?!). In trying to be as observant as possible before the fix, I basically came to the conclusion that there were too many variables in play to have a valid control...temperature, traffic, etc. Perhaps the biggest difference is in my bank account and not in my car. If anyone is nearby and wants to road test my fixed vehicle, message me.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
My Fix was done this morning and from what I can tell so far engine little louder but drives the same to me as it did b4. Time well tell and update more as I drive it more.
I'm interested in the MPG aspects

Please keep us up to date

And thank you kindly:)

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
urk! guess i fell into the same situation as mr. bluebus - was first mod to be done at the dealer (mid-Gulf Coast Florida), so i got a loaner and *should* be called tomorrow to pick our wagen up...

fingers crossed!

and thanks to the pioneers here for reporting back on mileage, performance - good job!

willie
on the kickin' back Gulf of Mexico

makattack

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI/S/Manual
Yep, I'm always annoyed by the suggested shift point display. Pre-fix, I would be accelerating up to 6th gear, and while in 4th at about 45/50mph, it would already be suggesting 6th.

4SpeedEra

TDI
2015 Sportwagen SE-6sp
Noise Increase

Some posters have reported an increase in noise with the Phase 1 fix. So, I'm going to take pre-fix decibel readings with my phone. The app store has a number of noise meters available. I'm using dB Meter Pro. My 2015 GSW just recorded a reading of 41 dB inside the car at idle and 44 dB at 2000 RPM. I'll have a passenger take readings at various road speeds and then repeat all this after the test. I'll post the results after the fix, but, as I'm still waiting for my submission to be verified, it may not be anytime soon.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
Some posters have reported an increase in noise with the Phase 1 fix. So, I'm going to take pre-fix decibel readings with my phone. The app store has a number of noise meters available. I'm using dB Meter Pro. My 2015 GSW just recorded a reading of 41 dB inside the car at idle and 44 dB at 2000 RPM. I'll have a passenger take readings at various road speeds and then repeat all this after the test. I'll post the results after the fix, but, as I'm still waiting for my submission to be verified, it may not be anytime soon.
This is going to be great, thanks! I haven't really noticed it being any louder, but it will be interesting to see!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Fix done today, Wife's initial impression is no change in driving experiance. She did get a gasser Passat for a loaner (~ 10 mile trip each way to her workplace.) We need to get out on a road trip to really give you a good report.

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE 6MT (sold), 2015 Passat TDI SEL, 1992 Dodge W-250 Cummins, 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
This post is going to be frighteningly long, bear with me... A couple weeks ago, on the 13th of January, I took my 2015 TDI 6 speed in for an oil change, to fix the horn, and identify a popping sound in the front end when turning. At about the middle of the day, I got multiple calls and texts saying I needed to come in right now and talk to VW Corp, in order to finish the diesel recall. I had to explain multiple times to different people that I am probably going to sell it back and had selected the buyback option online, pending approval. I never said anything about the recall when I brought it in and did not authorize them to do it. After 5 minutes on hold, they told me my car was ready. When I picked it up I asked them if they did anything to my car as pertaining to the emissions recall and they told me they did not and just merely tried to start the process through their computer.
I thought no more about it and went about my day. Over the past couple of weeks, since then, I started noticing different unusual things with my car. I can here a little clicking sound under the dash when it does the regen cycle for the def and now it was definitely doing it more often (no wonder they are giving an extended warranty). The cruise control, when I set it, now goes slightly above what I set it before settling back down after 10 seconds or so. My shift points are now different then what they used to be. Mine used to tell me to shift into 5th around 35 mph, and 6th around 45 mph. Now 5th is about 45 mph and 6th is 55mph. Seems like I have to down shift more often to keep up speed to where I used to be able to stay in the same gear. The most alarming thing was I usually average 48 to 51 mpg. Never seen below 46-47 mpg besides when I first bought it. Now I am averaging 43 to 45 mpg...I check my mileage by dividing miles by gallons. I don't trust the computer.
Anyway, I began to suspect they did do the emissions test. Then yesterday, I got multiple calls and texts from the dealer saying they needed to put stickers under my hood and take pictures of the vin and mileage; stating it was required by federal law. They were even going to come to my house if they needed too; because they needed it done that day. I work in another state and can't get it to them until Friday. They also confirmed that they did actually do the emissions recall on it and lied to me. Now idk what to do, just pissed off about the whole situation.
Sorry for the long rant but yes that has been my experience with the emission recall, it was not voluntary on my part. So if you have a 6 speed and drive it conservatively, you will see a drop in mileage. If I do keep it, I definitely would get the rawtek exhaust and tune it with the compensation money. But idk how that is going to work now where my car has had the recall done and never got any compensation for it. The extended warranty would probably be void too.

jfc2697

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6Speed
This post is going to be frighteningly long, bear with me... A couple weeks ago, on the 13th of January, I took my 2015 TDI 6 speed in for an oil change, to fix the horn, and identify a popping sound in the front end when turning. At about the middle of the day, I got multiple calls and texts saying I needed to come in right now and talk to VW Corp, in order to finish the diesel recall. I had to explain multiple times to different people that I am probably going to sell it back and had selected the buyback option online, pending approval. I never said anything about the recall when I brought it in and did not authorize them to do it. After 5 minutes on hold, they told me my car was ready. When I picked it up I asked them if they did anything to my car as pertaining to the emissions recall and they told me they did not and just merely tried to start the process through their computer.
I thought no more about it and went about my day. Over the past couple of weeks, since then, I started noticing different unusual things with my car. I can here a little clicking sound under the dash when it does the regen cycle for the def and now it was definitely doing it more often (no wonder they are giving an extended warranty). The cruise control, when I set it, now goes slightly above what I set it before settling back down after 10 seconds or so. My shift points are now different then what they used to be. Mine used to tell me to shift into 5th around 35 mph, and 6th around 45 mph. Now 5th is about 45 mph and 6th is 55mph. Seems like I have to down shift more often to keep up speed to where I used to be able to stay in the same gear. The most alarming thing was I usually average 48 to 51 mpg. Never seen below 46-47 mpg besides when I first bought it. Now I am averaging 43 to 45 mpg...I check my mileage by dividing miles by gallons. I don't trust the computer.
Anyway, I began to suspect they did do the emissions test. Then yesterday, I got multiple calls and texts from the dealer saying they needed to put stickers under my hood and take pictures of the vin and mileage; stating it was required by federal law. They were even going to come to my house if they needed too; because they needed it done that day. I work in another state and can't get it to them until Friday. They also confirmed that they did actually do the emissions recall on it and lied to me. Now idk what to do, just pissed off about the whole situation.
Sorry for the long rant but yes that has been my experience with the emission recall, it was not voluntary on my part. So if you have a 6 speed and drive it conservatively, you will see a drop in mileage. If I do keep it, I definitely would get the rawtek exhaust and tune it with the compensation money. But idk how that is going to work now where my car has had the recall done and never got any compensation for it. The extended warranty would probably be void too.
That sucks but not surprised i had to use different dealer ship to get my fix done as other one never got back to me. If i was you don't let them touch the car because only reason it's so important is the dealer don't get paid by VW if don't take the pics add sticker ect. Only let them do it after you get everything on your end straight so you get your share $$

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
My 500 mile update. I compared my milage from prefix to postfix and it is within .1 MPG, with no intentional chase to my typical driving habits. I am happy with that. What I am ... indifferent about is, to me, the car seems more sluggish. The shift in gears 1-3 seem short, as if the car is trying to keep my RPMs just above idle. At highway speeds, when I make a sudden acceleration, it does not downshift as it once did, in D. I find myself using the Manualmatic more and more. It is a change from previously. Would I have bought the car if it ran like this when I bought it? YES. I bought it for the MPG and steadier fuel cost. The performance that can be unlocked in the TDI is a bonus. I am still on the fence about a modification. As of right now, Malone or Kerma do not have a DSG tune, and as of right now, this is what I think I need. I will continue to evaluate and report back on this thread, as appropriate.

Drive safe.

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE 6MT (sold), 2015 Passat TDI SEL, 1992 Dodge W-250 Cummins, 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Just curious on how people are comparing mileage figures...are you just going off what the computer says or dividing the miles by how many gallons you use?

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Don't let them near the car. Contact class counsel. They should not have done the emissions modification if you chose the buyback. If everything is as you have said class counsel needs to know about this.

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
Just curious on how people are comparing mileage figures...are you just going off what the computer says or dividing the miles by how many gallons you use?
I am going off the trip display. For me, as long as I am comparing apples to apples, it provides the information I am looking for. I don't have the option of figuring my mileage by hand for two reasons, my MPH is off 3-5% due to my winter tires and I travel so much I don't fill up at the same station/same pump to obtain an accurate reading. Some pumps allow me to fill up the neck to the cap and others are too sensitive and I just have the needle brushing F on the gauge.

Good question for those who are still evaluating the situation.

Drive safe.

TDI
I am going off the trip display. For me, as long as I am comparing apples to apples, it provides the information I am looking for. I don't have the option of figuring my mileage by hand for two reasons, my MPH is off 3-5% due to my winter tires and I travel so much I don't fill up at the same station/same pump to obtain an accurate reading. Some pumps allow me to fill up the neck to the cap and others are too sensitive and I just have the needle brushing F on the gauge.
Drive safe.
Well it might be a bigger difference to what you were getting because it's all computer. I wouldn't put it past vw to change the computer to show it's still getting the same mileage when it is not with this emission update. Because my computer shows I am getting around 50 when I am actually getting 43-45 mpg.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

Drive safe.
I guess I don't understand why you can't calculate mileage. Your speed can effect your mileage but is not part of the calculation. It really makes no difference where and how you fill if you're looking at a monthly average or use something like Fuelly. Sure your tank to tank values will vary but when I talk about mileage, I'm always thinking about the last 5 or 6 tanks or the full average over 100K+ miles.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
On both of my cars, the computer is within reason of pen and paper calculations. My JSW computer is always 1-2 mpg higher while the Golf's is 1-2 mpg lower. I wonder if it has to do with more city driving for the Golf. When I list mileage, it is always hand calculated.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Having worked with engine management programming I think it's down to nozzle condition and other mechanical factors. The ECU knows how much fuel it calls for the injector to deliver, and knows how much torque is produced. It does not know those to within closer than a few percent though, just due to mechanical tolerances. If they wanted that level of accuracy it would require much more expensive calibration and perhaps additional sensors. Since the existing setup is within a couple of percent there's no reason to spend that extra money.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
I had to explain multiple times to different people that I am probably going to sell it back and had selected the buyback option online, pending approval.
They probably put the vehicles VIN in the computer and it had some sort of notice that it was being recalled for an emissions software flash. And like you stated they knew nothing about the issue at hand. When I called to initially schedule my phase I fix (which I now have on hold) the service coordinator had no idea what I was asking for. He had to put me on hold and go ask around. Totally incompetent.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Don't let them near the car. Contact class counsel. They should not have done the emissions modification if you chose the buyback. If everything is as you have said class counsel needs to know about this.
I agree with this advice 100%. This is in direct violation of the court decree and is punishable.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
update: got the car back first thing in the morning (with a complimentary wash)... system info reports (dunno if this is the right screen to show?):

look under the hood, on the door jambs, etc.... there are NO new stickers regarding the emissions modification... but then again we don't have emissions testing?

as others have reported, car seems 99% the same... a tad quicker off the line without the accidental 'thrust' if the pedal is pushed too hard too fast (never got used to that, especially when actually wearing shoes when driving [flip flops are a way of life down here])

did not have a regen while tooling around for 4 hours in 0-50 city driving.. have not punched it to get on the highway as yet...

so far? not disappointed - *except* with the service desk tech who entered our '15 Golf wagen as a 'Jetta' (not worried as VIN was correct)

btw, the loaner Tiguan? it sounded like winding up a squirrel cage when accelerating and i didn't like how the tranny shifted at *all*!!! (CVT-ish?)

now just waiting on the Chase email... oh, and we're getting a bit more than i had calculated for Phase 1 from the offer letter:

offer letter: $6,933.93

Actual Mileage: 10,344
receipt 'Restitution Payment Total': $4,622.62

thanks to all who have posted their experiences - it is appreciated

willie
on the warm and sunny Gulf of Mexico

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
This post is going to be frighteningly long, bear with me...
They also confirmed that they did actually do the emissions recall on it and lied to me.
So the next question is, is there anyway to use VCDS to check if the recall was done? It would be great if we could have a positive check that the update was (or was not) actually done.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
update: got the car back first thing in the morning (with a complimentary wash)... system info reports (dunno if this is the right screen to show?):

look under the hood, on the door jambs, etc.... there are NO new stickers regarding the emissions modification... but then again we don't have emissions testing?
How do you get to that screen?
Wouldn't they still have to put the stickers there regardless of where you live in case you move or sell the car to the new area that does have checks?
So the next question is, is there anyway to use VCDS to check if the recall was done? It would be great if we could have a positive check that the update was (or was not) actually done.
I have one and would love to know the same. I recently reset my Torque App device (S5 with hairline crack you can only see when off). Scrolling through the settings there is Nox Pre and a Nox Post. The post always reads -100 and the pre ranges from low negatives to high -90's. Not sure if they were there and I skipped over them. But it has me thinking...
I had my car in for free oil change not to long ago. Maybe just paranoia.
Anyone else have Torque app or something similar that you can read live data? Do you have the two for Nox?
Anyone post fix do the same?

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Which dealer was it? Enquiring minds want to know.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

Anyway, I began to suspect they did do the emissions test. Then yesterday, I got multiple calls and texts from the dealer saying they needed to put stickers under my hood and take pictures of the vin and mileage; stating it was required by federal law. They were even going to come to my house if they needed too; because they needed it done that day.

I work in another state and can't get it to them until Friday. They also confirmed that they did actually do the emissions recall on it and lied to me. Now idk what to do, just pissed off about the whole situation.
Sorry to say, IMO, you have had the first half of the "FIX." :mad:

Question, What are you going to do?

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
How do you get to that screen?
Wouldn't they still have to put the stickers there regardless of where you live in case you move or sell the car to the new area that does have checks?
i believe it was Car->sys info (not in my car at the moment)...

i don't know about the stickers - i have yet to see any TDI folks post a picture - i *think* they were supposed to be underneath the hood... but my engine compartment is clean and the same from day one

UPDATE: got the email from Chase about the Phase 1 settlement payment, with a link to login, create a password, etc...

Here's a tip for folks going the EFT route... when you register at Chase to do the EFT, you'll see that a mobile number is optional to add to your account... this is *only* useful for getting a login access verification code...

but when you go to transfer the money, you'll be asked for a phone number at the transfer screen... you *must* enter the phone number you registered with VW Claims Portal, *not* the mobile/phone number you entered at the Chase site! i got kinda stressed when i entered the mobile number registered with Chase and kept getting an error message...

so i went for a hour-and-a-half swim, came back to my computer, re-read the transfer screen and then had a 'smack my forehead' moment, entered our home landline number which i had used for the VW Claims Portal, and badabing! the transfer went through...

sometimes it helps me to step back from a problem... (and actually read dialog prompts)

:)

willie
on the warming Gulf of Mexico

Last edited:
TDI
Sorry to say, IMO, you have had the first half of the "FIX." :mad:

Question, What are you going to do?

Yes I have had the fix. I don't know what I want to do yet. After talking to them further, they said I would be able to still collect the compensation money, either for the buyback or the fix, but I am going to need something more then just their word. It makes me mad because when I picked up the car, I explicitly asked them if they molested the cpu in anyway with the update. They told me that they hadn't and merely inquired about it when they saw it had a recall when they pulled the vin. As for the dealer, it was the one in Orem. Who do I contact to tell them about this? Anyone have a number?

Last edited:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
but when you go to transfer the money, you'll be asked for a phone number at the transfer screen... you *must* enter the phone number you registered with VW Claims Portal, *not* the mobile/phone number you entered at the Chase site!
Thanks for this valuable information. Made me log into the claims portal to verify which phone number I had used there.