Appointment set for my 2.0L TDI Engine (GEN 3) Emissions Control Software - Stg 1 Mod

jfc2697

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6Speed
My appointment got cancelled at the last minut with dealer claiming there waiting on something from VW. Pissed at dealer as they claimed they new this since Friday but got no call just a email at 7:10am this mornin.
Update on mine the dealer is going to get back to me and they said they should have everything from vw to do the fix this week. Still don't understand how they cannot have everything they need to do it since it's just software. I also called few dealers in my area to see if they had any info and they knew nothing..... :confused:

jjm

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE; 2017 Golf TSI Wolfsburg (replaced 2012 Golf Hatch (Bought back by VW)
Bear in mind that once you get the stage 1 mod done, you are committed to that course of action. No more buyback.

Is this documented somewhere? A while back somewhere on the forum it was said that a buyback could be done until the fix was complete (perhaps when initiating stage 2?). I would think the software adjustment is no big deal in terms of changing to a buyback afterwards, considering there may be some dissatisfaction with the results of stage 1. Certainly the payment could be adjusted at buyback time to deduct the 2/3 payment from the buyback figure. Has anyone seen any clarification from VW about this?

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
From the pdf and the mailer I got today:
Sport Mode Changes – While driving in sport mode the automatic
transmission will shift earlier at low accelerator positions for
improved driving comfort, resulting in lower engine speeds at
constant driving

High Altitude Shift Patterns - For Golf Automatic Transmission
vehicles, the shifting behavior has been adapted to run with slightly
higher engine speeds at high altitudes.

Seemed someone expressed slow off the line and the other expressed faster off the line.

I'm confused...

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There is no provision for changing course mid-stream of the two-phase fix, and VW isn't doing anything that the courts aren't telling them to do. Bear in mind that the lemon-law-like provisions of escaping from the "fix" ARE outlined. There are no other avenues of escaping from the "fix" once the process has started. If it's not written into the agreement then VW is not doing it.

I'm quite sure that someone will try, and hopefully will tell us what happens if they try to file for a buyback after they've already had the phase-1 fix done ...

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
From the pdf and the mailer I got today:
Sport Mode Changes – While driving in sport mode the automatic
transmission will shift earlier at low accelerator positions for
improved driving comfort, resulting in lower engine speeds at
constant driving

High Altitude Shift Patterns - For Golf Automatic Transmission
vehicles, the shifting behavior has been adapted to run with slightly
higher engine speeds at high altitudes.

Seemed someone expressed slow off the line and the other expressed faster off the line.

I'm confused...
Mine felt faster off the line in drive mode though, not sport mode, and I don't think it actually is faster, it just feels that way because the hesitation I used to have is gone. It used to hesitate when you pressed the gas, and then kick in and pull hard. Now it just shifts smoothly and quickly. The other guy has a Passat also, so maybe changes were different? I don't know.

Sport mode does seem to shift through the lower gears a little sooner, now that I've had another day to drive it.

Were they all DSG transmissions in the TDIs, or do some have regular automatics?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
All of the it-shifts-for-you 4-cyl common-rail TDI models are DSG (and it actually started before that, around 2006 with the Mk5).

edit: It isn't accurate to say "all TDIs have DSG" because obviously the manuals don't, and the Mk4 TDI automatics used a torque-converter automatic, but this was long before the common-rail models affected by the emissions scandal. And the V6 TDI in the various Audi and Touareg etc use a torque-converter automatic.

Last edited:

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
All of the it-shifts-for-you 4-cyl common-rail TDI models are DSG (and it actually started before that, around 2006 with the Mk5).

edit: It isn't accurate to say "all TDIs have DSG" because obviously the manuals don't, and the Mk4 TDI automatics used a torque-converter automatic, but this was long before the common-rail models affected by the emissions scandal. And the V6 TDI in the various Audi and Touareg etc use a torque-converter automatic.
I stand to be corrected, thanks GoFaster.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Just received my Offer Letter Complete email. Should be a couple days (?) for appointment offers, I would expect.

allenazali

TDI
2015 Golf manual
Emissions Modification Notification Gen 3 Engine

Hello All and thank you for the ones who volunteered to go with the Phase 1. I just wanted to start some dialog on the facts and perhaps get some advice. I love my TDI and I want to keep it the way it is. The issue is I don't know how the modifications will affect my car. From what I read, the real fix doesn't happen until early 2018. This is Phase 2. This is when they give you new hardware: DPF, Catalyst and Reduction Converter. Furthermore, if your car is low mileage you'll need to replace the DPF again before it reaches 150,000 miles. Thats a lot of work. They're pretty much rebuilding the emissions hardware. Phase 2 has got me worried.

Not sure if the modification is worth it. Any diesel experts know what this means? I am curious if there are any diesel truck owners that know anything about the emissions hardware they are talking about and the longevity of the engine when it is strapped on to a breathing machine.

My TDI is at 38,000 and is barely broken in. The MPG have gone up to a steady 45 and I am loving it. I sure hate to trade it for another car.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
Payment

For those of you wondering about payment...

I got the phase 1 fix on Monday, and got the email to receive the Chase payment Tuesday night at 11pm. I submitted my account information to Chase this morning, and it says the funds will be there in 1-2 banking days. Will let you know when it goes through.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
For those of you wondering about payment...
I got the phase 1 fix on Monday, and got the email to receive the Chase payment Tuesday night at 11pm. I submitted my account information to Chase this morning, and it says the funds will be there in 1-2 banking days. Will let you know when it goes through.
That is fast, can you share how much is the first payment?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
That is fast, can you share how much is the first payment?
Though @bluebus gave the amount of his payment, the general answer is that it will be 2/3 of the total "fix" restitution payment. You receive the other 1/3 when you have phase 2 done.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
The DSG shifting improvements you may be experiencing could be due to the gearbox re-calibrating. I noticed that my car shifts a LOT better immediately following a basic setting recalibration/adaptation, but goes back to its old ways shortly thereafter.

Please keep us posted on this.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
Though @bluebus gave the amount of his payment, the general answer is that it will be 2/3 of the total "fix" restitution payment. You receive the other 1/3 when you have phase 2 done.
Correct. The amount I got is 2/3 of my total restitution amount for my particular car and mileage. Your results may(will) vary.

bluebus

TDI
15 Golf TDI SE
The DSG shifting improvements you may be experiencing could be due to the gearbox re-calibrating. I noticed that my car shifts a LOT better immediately following a basic setting recalibration/adaptation, but goes back to its old ways shortly thereafter.
Please keep us posted on this.
That's good to know, thanks. I'll definitely try to pay close attention.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Thanks bluebus and others, I would really like to see my DSG shifting improved, I can feel few times where there is some hesitations.

Edit, here is my numbers for the fix
Initial Modification
$
Subsequent Modification
$

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just received my Offer Letter Complete email. Should be a couple days (?) for appointment offers, I would expect.
Once you have everything accepted by VW, then you should be able to schedule your appointment on the settlement website.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
The next step in the process is to schedule your appointment to complete the Approved Emissions Modification. All scheduling must take place with the dealer directly.
The preferred dealership location you provided previously is below. Is this the location where you would like to schedule your appointment? If so, you will be presented with a link to the dealership’s website to schedule your appointment or the dealership’s phone number to contact them directly for scheduling.
Once the dealer completes the Approved Emissions Modification, you will be issued a receipt. If you chose to receive payment by check, a check will be mailed to you within 3 banking days. If you chose to receive payment by electronic funds transfer (EFT), funds will be submitted for payment within 3 banking days.
The preferred dealership location you provided previously is below. Is this the location where you would like to schedule your appointment? If so, you’ll be presented with available appointment times in the next step.

I never received an email from VW, but this is what I see when I log into the claims portal.
I am going to give it a few weeks and maybe call the dealer and see if they have performed any "fixes" yet. I'd prefer not to be the first at the dealer, but at the same time I'm ready to get phase one done.

H3toTHIS

TDI
15 GSW
Had my car updated yesterday and here's what I've noticed in that short time. First though some background.
Mileage: 36,804
2/3 restitution payment: $5218

Took about 90 minutes to complete. Was told the engine may be louder, but have not noticed a difference.

I have driven about 150 miles since the update. No discernible difference in mileage.
However, I do notice some performance issues. The car appears to be sluggish on the start. It also appears sluggish when going from 4th to 5th gear and from 5th to 6th. The pickup just didn't seem to be the same to me.
On the start I have used the sport mode and that seemed relatively close to what it was before. Without the sport it definitely feels like like I'm hauling something.

So for now I'll continue to monitor it and report back to my dealer late next week. If the car continues to perform less than before that would be disappointing but if the mileage continue to be what it was I can live with it.
Thank you for this! I just got my notice that the fix was ready today. Can you confirm if you have a manual transmission or an automatic?

T

throwaway

Had the Phase 1 fix performed on our DSG Sportwagen yesterday. What follows are my observations so far, hopefully someone will find them useful. Generally the process was painless.
The actual software modification to the car takes all of 10 minutes for the tech to perform. The other 50-80 minutes are spent by the tech and service manager taking pictures of the car, vin, updated emissions stickers, completing paperwork (electronically), uploading all documentation to VW, printing new MPG page and restitution receipt (or I would imagine check for those not choosing the ETF). I left with that new MPG page (unchanged from original window sticker) and restitution receipt. The car left with updated software and two updated emissions stickers under the hood.
The car drives slightly different in D and almost imperceptibly different in S. By different I mean the car accelerates more smoothly, albeit slightly more slowly in D, simply more smoothly in S, and will auto-up-shift in M before the redline. These are just seat of the pants opinions but it feels as though the three main software modifications made to get it under the negotiated Gen 3 emissions standard were to the throttle response, the transmission shift-points, and the red line auto **** when the transmission is in M.
Throttle response: It feels like the ratio between accelerator pedal travel and throttle body opening has been increased. Whereas now more pedal travel is required than before to obtain a given amount of throttle body movement. So for purposes of example, imagine pre-software mod the ratio between pedal and throttle body was 2:1 now it is 3:1. This may explain the “sluggishness” and/or “smoothing” of acceleration that has been reported especially coming off a stop or when accelerating to change lanes or merge. The power still feels like it is in the engine, it just takes slightly longer to get it to the wheels. This change is most noticeable in D and somewhat noticeable in S.
Transmission shift-points: It feels like the transmission is shifting sooner and not allowing the engine to linger in higher RPMs. By sooner I’m guessing under 200 RPM sooner. So the change is not huge but it does seem to be there. Again, this also may contribute to the “sluggishness” and/or “smoothing” of acceleration since the engine does not have to dump as much energy between shifts. So the top end speed still seems to be there for all practical purposes on the highway it just takes slightly more time to get there. This difference is most noticeable in D and not really all that noticeable in S.
Red line: In M it automatically upshifts about 500 RPM before the red line. Honestly, it may have been doing this before and I just now noticed it but just in case this is a change, I’m mentioning it here. Really though, I hope I don’t need to point this out but if you’re driving the car so hard that you’re regularly hammering off of the redline in the DSG’s M mode you probably should have just learned how to drive a stick and bought a manual TDI. So, assuming this is a change I see this as having about zero practical impact.
Overall assessment: Assuming these three perceived changes are real, perhaps what they did to get the gen 3’s to the negotiated emissions standards was effectively detune the throttle and transmission to keep the engine loads lower in everyday driving, thus reducing emissions. Interesting side note, on the updated emissions sticker under the hood, manual TDI’s are allowed to put out slightly higher emissions than DSG’s. This makes sense if the above is true because no software update will be able to control the shift points of a manual so their only control over engine loads is throttle response.
Anyways, the part I’m sure everyone is curious about:
Does it feel like the same car? In D, 95% yes. In S, 98% yes, in M 99% yes.
Would we have bought it if it came off the lot with the post update performance characteristics? Yes, it still drives like a great car with a great motor. This car is my wife’s daily driver she can notice a slight difference but she’s still completely content with its performance. I drive an R daily and if this happened to my R I’d be super bummed because I use and drive that car differently than our TDI. But, for the reasons I drive the TDI, I’m perfectly happy with the results of the update. The changes are super minor in my untrained, subjective, inexpert, opinion. All in all, we think VW did a great job in putting a fix together for the gen 3s.
Are you worried about longevity, phase 2 mods? Not really, for at least two reasons. One, the extended warranty that you get with the mods is fantastic and two, we’re getting a new free DPF as part of the mods. We’ll need this because based on the changes outlined above, I’m guessing we’re getting new emissions hardware at phase 2 because the lower exhaust temps resulting from the lower engine loads during everyday driving cause the DPF to fill faster than designed due to less efficient regens resulting from the lower exhaust temps. This is seems consistent with the different mileage criteria between the DSGs and manuals (DSGs have a lower mileage criteria than manuals) for the emissions components replacement at phase 2 since manuals will generally have higher exhaust temps than DSGs after phase 1 mods because the update cannot control the shift points of the transmission.
So, that’s all I have, a bunch of personal experience, amateur guesses, and subjective opinions. These forums have been the source of a wealth of information since we bought our TDI. I hope this post contributes something back to the community.
Admittedly, I not an expert in any of this, I just know generally how cars work. I could be completely off base here so feel free to correct any errors you think you see and have fun discussing.
I’m out.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Had the Phase 1 fix performed on our DSG Sportwagen yesterday. What follows are my observations so far, hopefully someone will find them useful. Generally the process was painless.
The actual software modification to the car takes all of 10 minutes for the tech to perform. The other 50-80 minutes are spent by the tech and service manager taking pictures of the car, vin, updated emissions stickers, completing paperwork (electronically), uploading all documentation to VW, printing new MPG page and restitution receipt (or I would imagine check for those not choosing the ETF). I left with that new MPG page (unchanged from original window sticker) and restitution receipt. The car left with updated software and two updated emissions stickers under the hood.
The car drives slightly different in D and almost imperceptibly different in S. By different I mean the car accelerates more smoothly, albeit slightly more slowly in D, simply more smoothly in S, and will auto-up-shift in M before the redline. These are just seat of the pants opinions but it feels as though the three main software modifications made to get it under the negotiated Gen 3 emissions standard were to the throttle response, the transmission shift-points, and the red line auto **** when the transmission is in M.
Throttle response: It feels like the ratio between accelerator pedal travel and throttle body opening has been increased. Whereas now more pedal travel is required than before to obtain a given amount of throttle body movement. So for purposes of example, imagine pre-software mod the ratio between pedal and throttle body was 2:1 now it is 3:1. This may explain the “sluggishness” and/or “smoothing” of acceleration that has been reported especially coming off a stop or when accelerating to change lanes or merge. The power still feels like it is in the engine, it just takes slightly longer to get it to the wheels. This change is most noticeable in D and somewhat noticeable in S.
Transmission shift-points: It feels like the transmission is shifting sooner and not allowing the engine to linger in higher RPMs. By sooner I’m guessing under 200 RPM sooner. So the change is not huge but it does seem to be there. Again, this also may contribute to the “sluggishness” and/or “smoothing” of acceleration since the engine does not have to dump as much energy between shifts. So the top end speed still seems to be there for all practical purposes on the highway it just takes slightly more time to get there. This difference is most noticeable in D and not really all that noticeable in S.
Red line: In M it automatically upshifts about 500 RPM before the red line. Honestly, it may have been doing this before and I just now noticed it but just in case this is a change, I’m mentioning it here. Really though, I hope I don’t need to point this out but if you’re driving the car so hard that you’re regularly hammering off of the redline in the DSG’s M mode you probably should have just learned how to drive a stick and bought a manual TDI. So, assuming this is a change I see this as having about zero practical impact.
Overall assessment: Assuming these three perceived changes are real, perhaps what they did to get the gen 3’s to the negotiated emissions standards was effectively detune the throttle and transmission to keep the engine loads lower in everyday driving, thus reducing emissions. Interesting side note, on the updated emissions sticker under the hood, manual TDI’s are allowed to put out slightly higher emissions than DSG’s. This makes sense if the above is true because no software update will be able to control the shift points of a manual so their only control over engine loads is throttle response.
Anyways, the part I’m sure everyone is curious about:
Does it feel like the same car? In D, 95% yes. In S, 98% yes, in M 99% yes.
Would we have bought it if it came off the lot with the post update performance characteristics? Yes, it still drives like a great car with a great motor. This car is my wife’s daily driver she can notice a slight difference but she’s still completely content with its performance. I drive an R daily and if this happened to my R I’d be super bummed because I use and drive that car differently than our TDI. But, for the reasons I drive the TDI, I’m perfectly happy with the results of the update. The changes are super minor in my untrained, subjective, inexpert, opinion. All in all, we think VW did a great job in putting a fix together for the gen 3s.
Are you worried about longevity, phase 2 mods? Not really, for at least two reasons. One, the extended warranty that you get with the mods is fantastic and two, we’re getting a new free DPF as part of the mods. We’ll need this because based on the changes outlined above, I’m guessing we’re getting new emissions hardware at phase 2 because the lower exhaust temps resulting from the lower engine loads during everyday driving cause the DPF to fill faster than designed due to less efficient regens resulting from the lower exhaust temps. This is seems consistent with the different mileage criteria between the DSGs and manuals (DSGs have a lower mileage criteria than manuals) for the emissions components replacement at phase 2 since manuals will generally have higher exhaust temps than DSGs after phase 1 mods because the update cannot control the shift points of the transmission.
So, that’s all I have, a bunch of personal experience, amateur guesses, and subjective opinions. These forums have been the source of a wealth of information since we bought our TDI. I hope this post contributes something back to the community.
Admittedly, I not an expert in any of this, I just know generally how cars work. I could be completely off base here so feel free to correct any errors you think you see and have fun discussing.
I’m out.
Awesome post!! Thank you in helping me make my decision.

jfc2697

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6Speed
So has any one with a stick car had the fix yet?
I have a stick tdi I'm still waiting on dealer to get back to me to get mine done. They told me that they needed the key part for the update that they should have it this week.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
... I left with that new MPG page (unchanged from original window sticker) ...
Even though the mpg rating is the same, I wonder if it will be more difficult to hit those actual numbers, like in most gassers. I assume that no one will know for sure until summer fuel is back in the car and they can look at mileage over 1000 or more miles.