Appointment scheduled, but what about the car payment that month?

whitegerbera

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
My apologies if this was addressed somewhere earlier, I haven't had the chance to keep up with the threads lately.

I finally was able to schedule my appointment to turn in my Jetta -- this will take place on Friday, January 13th. However, my January car payment is due on the 12th; I typically send it in on the 6th. I know we're supposed to continue making payments, but I really want to be DONE with the whole thing the day I turn in my car (rather than wait for VW Credit to reimburse me for the extra payment).

I see two options: 1) pay it early enough so that is reflected in my VW Credit account by the time I go to my appointment or 2) pay it on its due date and then likely get a reimbursement check for the extra payment.

Anyone have suggestions or alternatives?

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
My apologies if this was addressed somewhere earlier, I haven't had the chance to keep up with the threads lately.

I finally was able to schedule my appointment to turn in my Jetta -- this will take place on Friday, January 13th. However, my January car payment is due on the 12th; I typically send it in on the 6th. I know we're supposed to continue making payments, but I really want to be DONE with the whole thing the day I turn in my car (rather than wait for VW Credit to reimburse me for the extra payment).

I see two options: 1) pay it early enough so that is reflected in my VW Credit account by the time I go to my appointment or 2) pay it on its due date and then likely get a reimbursement check for the extra payment.

If it were me, I would run it past the lender and explain the situation. Late payments can screw up your credit rating, and that's probably not what you want.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Late payments can mess up your credit, but they don't typically get reported until they're over 30 days late. But you don't want to get hit with a late fee. I'd concur with asking them about delaying the payment--they should get their money within a week after your appointment.

whitegerbera

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
That's exactly what I thought. I didn't even include not paying it as an option because I just don't want to mess with anything stupid like this hitting my credit.

Great ideas to contact VW Credit -- I'll do that!

Another fact -- I compared my offer letter (received earlier this week) to my current pay-off quote today and it's already a full payment off (because the quote includes December's payment). This should be interesting!

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
You can always make the payment early or on-time. Any overpayments will be refunded to you. Most lenders have a 10-day grace period after the scheduled payment date before it is considered "late".

I would probably just skip it.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
Easiest way forward is to pay it, then get a refund. Unless it's a significant burden to you otherwise, that is.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat

I can tell you what just happened to me at my turn in. The offer was off by the exact amount that VW took as a payment a few weeks ago. The mileage calculator was correct, and every figure but the payoff amount was correct.

I brought an official payoff statement from VW, which showed the amount that was owed versus what his documents showed, and he said that he couldn't adjust it, and that the EFT will reflect the correct amount because VW will verify one last time before depositing the money.

I asked if he could provide that in writing and he declined, and suggested I contact the claims number. If the amount off was based off of the mileage calculator, I would have left with the car, but since this is a VW credit issue, I THINK it should be easily resolved.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Yes, it would be very easily resolved indeed. They'll pay what they think they need to pay, and VW credit will refund you any overpayment. Couldn't be simpler. There was no need for you to reschedule your turn-in for this.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Yes, it would be very easily resolved indeed. They'll pay what they think they need to pay, and VW credit will refund you any overpayment. Couldn't be simpler. There was no need for you to reschedule your turn-in for this.

I didn't. Like I said because all other numbers were correct and this was an over payment issue, I'm going to call VW credit on Monday morning to verify that I'll be receiving that amount. Very happy with the return too, everyone was very friendly. :)

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
I have a VW loan and they take auto payments the 24th of each month. I turn my car in this Tuesday on the 20th. Earlier in the month I canceled the auto payment and confirmed a late payment won't be applied until 10 days after that date. Any over payments will the returned to me. From the time I received my offer to the time my actual buyback date VW took another auto payment on me. Not any more.......