Appears to be a Fix for Gen 1 cars! Gen 2-3 are Software.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Somewhere in the bowels of this thread I speculated that the used cars would be mostly 14s and 15s with a smattering of ultra low mileage 13s. I'm leaning towards changing that speculation to only 15s since we have yet to hear anything on the Gen 1 and 2 fixes.

I'm probably going to have a harder time convicing the wife to purchaes a used 15 than I have of convicing her to purchase a new 15. Nothing different in my drive today. I'm guessing by this time next year, we are VW free and driving someone's midsized SUV.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
higher mileage cars are not worth fixing, $$$-wise. Simply no money in selling a 6YO "CPO" with 50K+ on it.
Clearly EPA was more concerned about making record $$$ for the govt than really protecting the env.
"extorted $20B out of world's #1 car maker" looks mighty good on your resume
Yup, just like the state of NJ 'extorts' the fine from you when you speed or run a stop sign...:rolleyes:

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Without an approved fix it appears most bought back Gen 1 cars, if not all, will be crushed. There are companies with contracts to crush hundreds of thousands of vehicles if the fix is not approved.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Yup, just like the state of NJ 'extorts' the fine from you when you speed or run a stop sign...:rolleyes:
However, the state of NJ doesn't stand in front of your car saying, "if you admit that you ran that stop sign, we will let you go about your business." Oh, and we will let you know what your fine is in about 12 months.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
However, the state of NJ doesn't stand in front of your car saying, "if you admit that you ran that stop sign, we will let you go about your business." Oh, and we will let you know what your fine is in about 12 months.
They may have back in 1905 before they had a standardized response in place.
Not that your point is relevant to what I was commenting on.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
Please close this thread. Every time it is pumped I get excited and then let down.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Can I get a free exhaust system before August?!?

No don't close the thread yet! I'm still hoping....for.....closure? :D

What I really want to know is:

Can I get a free exhaust system for my 2011 before August?!? :eek:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
No don't close the thread yet! I'm still hoping....for.....closure? :D

What I really want to know is:

Can I get a free exhaust system for my 2011 before August?!? :eek:

According to the Reuters article I just read, I would say yes, a fix should be available by August. As well as gen1/2 buyback cars for resale.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
For those who don't want to open the link.

From: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKBN17Z2ET?utm_source=applenews Published on May 3rd

In January, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board approved a fix for 67,000 of the 475,000 2015 VW 2.0-liter diesel models known as "Generation Three." EPA and California are expected to approve additional diesel fixes in the coming weeks, three people briefed on the matter said. They requested anonymity because the approval has not been finalized.
Your definition of 'coming weeks' may be different....

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Plenty of nattering nabobs around here. I choose to see the glass as half full- and I for one, actually want to see a fix approved.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I'm still planning on BB in Sept 2018. I might change my mind if there's significant and reliable real world data by then on a Gen 1 fix, but I probably won't change my mind even if the data is good. By Sept 2018, I'll have nearly 100k miles on mine.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
If I owned a 2014 or 13, I would be insanely pissed. And im trying to buy a new 2014 right now... of course I cant.

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
Plenty of nattering nabobs around here. I choose to see the glass as half full- and I for one, actually want to see a fix approved.
What is interesting about reality is that it cares little how you "choose" to see things or "want" to see. ;)

We each have different input variables into the decision. I for one can see how my particular vehicle 2009 Jetta with 61K miles, parked in the shade M-F, always with windshield sun shades on, and dark tints, is falling apart in the South Florida weather.
-Roof liner falling off
-Door trim falling off
-roof buttons blistering
-various plastic disintegrating (fuel cap string, trunk grommet, clutch pedal rubber)
-latest issue, rear door locks failing to engage. works for a while then not.

+plus the other issues i had had over the years. some listed on my signature.

I can't rationally keep this car if I'm going to get $16K+ in 2018 for it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What is interesting about reality is that it cares little how you "choose" to see things or "want" to see. ;)

We each have different input variables into the decision. I for one can see how my particular vehicle 2009 Jetta with 61K miles, parked in the shade M-F, always with windshield sun shades on, and dark tints, is falling apart in the South Florida weather.
-Roof liner falling off
-Door trim falling off
-roof buttons blistering
-various plastic disintegrating (fuel cap string, trunk grommet, clutch pedal rubber)
-latest issue, rear door locks failing to engage. works for a while then not.

+plus the other issues i had had over the years. some listed on my signature.

That's nice. Your car is in terrible condition- by all means, take the buyback. My comment was directed at the folks who seem to relish the prospect of no fix being approved for the gen1/gen2 cars. Most of the gen2 cars have an approved fix as of yesterday.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>

I agree with you to the tune of $27K, and we basically haven't had any trouble with our 2013 Passat. It's going at the last turn-in date I can schedule in 2018.

srow

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI w/VNT17/22, Injectors, 15lbs SMF, full stainless exhaust (Gone) 2002 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2003 Golf TDI (Gone) 2006 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2005 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2011 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew (current)
That's nice. Your car is in terrible condition- by all means, take the buyback. My comment was directed at the folks who seem to relish the prospect of no fix being approved for the gen1/gen2 cars. Most of the gen2 cars have an approved fix as of yesterday.
If you want to give me $13k for my gen 1 car as is, I'll start rooting for a gen 1 fix! Otherwise I'm looking after numero uno and am 100% anti-fix.

The Canadian Settlement excluded vehicles purchased after Sept 2015 from the buyback (probably thanks to all the little entrepreneurial geniuses buying up discounted cars in the States to make a profit).

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
If you want to give me $13k for my gen 1 car as is, I'll start rooting for a gen 1 fix! Otherwise I'm looking after numero uno and am 100% anti-fix.

The Canadian Settlement excluded vehicles purchased after Sept 2015 from the buyback (probably thanks to all the little entrepreneurial geniuses buying up discounted cars in the States to make a profit).
You don't have to get a fix. It's your car and you can completely opt out of it all and walk away with your car in its original configuration.

Regards

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry newb, I don't want your car. I don't understand why you are 100% anti-fix, it's not like an approved fix would somehow take money out of your pocket.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Sorry newb, I don't want your car. I don't understand why you are 100% anti-fix, it's not like an approved fix would somehow take money out of your pocket.
Ah, but in Canada it does. Cars bought after Sept 2015 do not qualify for a buyback, unless VW does not have an approved fix by some date in 2018 (June I think). If no fix by then you become eligible for the buy back.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, but in Canada it does. Cars bought after Sept 2015 do not qualify for a buyback, unless VW does not have an approved fix by some date in 2018 (June I think). If no fix by then you become eligible for the buy back.

Oh, interesting. Sounds like you guys are getting the short end of the stick. Though anyone who bought after 9-15 should have known what they were getting into (a dieselgate vehicle). I hope the fix at least comes with the compensation money up there.

Last edited:

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
I for one am rooting hard for a fix... There is a brand new 2014 JSW I am just itching to buy... It will be the fastest new car transaction I have ever done.. Walk in, pay for car and drive out. GO FiX!!

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
Agreed... We'll get 17.5k in August, and it's too much for us to turn down... We take good care of the car, but still have some issues that help ease the pain of losing the car. This list is non exhaustive, but some gripes...

-the screen cuts out in the summer when the car sits in the sun, takes a long time to come back.
-high pitched (non-mechanical) squeal at 70+mph; might be coming from the ECU?
-even buying new wipers they just seem to suck on this car, maybe some aspect of the design, or back luck, keeping the blades clean does not seem to help.
-HVAC; we had a bad moldy odor from AC; after having it serviced the smell was not as bad, but it still gives my wife headaches and I wonder if the design is flawed, because the car never sat for any length of time and the AC was run routinely... We're not fans of mold (well antibiotics can be nice...)!

I can daily drive the car to work about half the time and not lose any value, so I am having a little fun and then will go through the same pain I had after selling my tricked out little Prelude... but the payoff will be better!

myself on closed thread... didn't see this one!!! :D said:
Updates? I had an email a while back, from ID Parts, that said something along the lines of, "VW is buying back 2010+ TDIs to fix and resale".... I thought I was seeing things, but it was there... Searched for any such remedy, have multiple more times since that email, and finally landed here... I am beginning to put all my info in and schedule a buyback for mid August... was holding out for a "fix," but we have the 2dr and a baby on the way, so long little red devil!
Found the email from ID, my bold:

"We just got word from our local dealer that NEW unsold 2015 TDIs have been approved for sale and carry a great incentive package! Plus, FIXED 2010-2014 models will be available soon as well! We're thrilled, and we reserved a few 2015s for ourselves! :)"

Thanks!

Last edited: