Anyone with a S7 turbo?

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
KERMA is still avoiding my calls and emails.

I still do not have a replacement turbo nor do I have any solid reasoning as to why he has not sent me a replacement or repaired turbo.

The last conversation (several weeks ago) was just to try and up sell me different tuning and a discounted new turbo.
He just keeps avoiding me I guess in hopes I will go away.
Terrible way to run a business.

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Kerma took care of things in the post below that I agree with completely.

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
sorry about the delayed response. I had the flu last week and this was the last thing on my mind.

We take our customer service very seriously. We want to do the right thing by all our customers, but if there's something wrong with the car that's caused a brand new, genuine OEM turbo to fail so quickly, then why would we send out another without asking a few questions first? We have hundreds of these turbo's out in the field working to their full potential.

When we tried to delve further to find the potential cause for the failure we were greeted with the following response: "I'm an engineer, I know what I'm doing, just send me a turbo or else" and escalating threats. We try to go out of our way to take care of our customers, but if they can't supply us with the information we need to make an educated decision on the cause the the failure it becomes difficult for us to take the added measures of insuring the best possible customer experience. I never spoke with him or e-mailed him personally, but the way it all happened was very uncomfortable from the start.

As far as a correct recommendation at the time of the sale, we have to rely on our customers knowledge of their vehicle to make an informed recommendation. We can only go with what we are told.

First it's RC3 with stock map sensor. That's normally 18 psi, no problem. But we say the turbo won't be able to use it's full potential unless there's a 3bar AND MATCHING TUNE (this tune is something we emphasize but somehow got disregarded by the customer, but it is a very key point). He gets the 3 bar, and later we learn (in a forum post) he decided to ditch the boost valve for some reason (which we didn't know about or we would have said to keep it if he had a RC tune). And no matching update to the tune.

Then when I reminded him of this error on the forums, all of a sudden it's RC5, not RC3 after all. With a stock map sensor that would also be ~18 psi, but apparently the vnt17 was pushing 23 psi (boost valve limited) which would DEFINITELY be overboosting for that tune and map sensor combo. So something's not right there's either.

We can only work with the info we are given. Second-guessing on the forums and retroactive info doesn't help.

So there's some miscommunication there, and at least missed opportunity to identify a preexisting problem. Maybe if we had better info we would have made a different recommendation, or even had an opportunity to make a stronger caution to "fix what's wrong with the car first". Maybe some of this could have been communicated to us before the sale, and not only on the forums much later?

I don't know if this was brought up when he spoke to Chris initially, but also consider the old turbo is pushing oil past the blown piston ring seal at an alarming rate- this does not "just happen". The normal "wearing out" mode for those turbos is the thrust bearing wearing to the point where the compressor makes contact with the housing. It grinds away to where it's just not efficient anymore because of excessive compressor/housing clearance. Then it spins faster and faster trying to keep up with requested boost and eventually bang. (or sometimes they just howl louder and louder until the just stop making boost in a less dramatic demise)

My point being, the usual failure mode on a vnt17 is not the oil seals. From what I've seen, when oils seals fail on those, it's from high crankcase pressure, which impedes oil return flow. They can also fail from high oil supply pressure or some other cause like a kinked oil return line or an incorrectly oriented return line (seen in some uh, "custom" installations.) So in other words, this car has an oiling problem. The failure diagnosis (performed by an independent third party individual with 40 years of experience building custom turbos) did say it was a problem with the oil, along with overspeed (tuning/installation issue).

So what causes high crankcase pressure? blocked puck on top of the cam cover obviously, or else worn/sticking rings creating excessive blowby. Rings can stick like that when a car sits for a while without running (like this car did). If you are an old timer you may recall some of the forum discussions back in the day about "higher stage" tunes and crankcase pressure, dual puck setups, and so forth.

Then we see posted (first time I heard of it was a post) that it's not responding as quickly as the old vnt17? That's contrary to everything we know from our personal experience with the S7. It responds lighting fast, faster than any other turbo we've seen for those cars, even faster than the stock turbos. This tells me there was a problem with the installation like a boost leak or something like that. Even it's detractors (buzzken for example) claim "it's a spiky little b*tch". Not slow response. Never ever a "slow response" complaint. So that alone tells me something was not right with the installation. (removing the boost valve would only make it respond faster, not slower as Viesel guesses).

So is the problem that it's just an "inherently fragile" turbo? (as the detractors would like you to believe). I don't think so.

At one extreme. we have one customer in WI running this turbo at 45 psi with nitrous running 12 sec 1/4 miles in his Mk4 ALH. Not an exaggeration. (Not my recommendation, either) And when he's not at the track with slicks, he drives it every day AFAIK, for nearly a year now. The salesman who sold him this turbo has one in his own car and beats on it regularly. It works so well in our experience for many ALH/BEW applications that it will remain our "go-to" turbo in many cases. There are well over a hundred of them sold this year alone, so why is this one "not so lucky?" I would sure like to know for certain. We have a credible evaluation from an experienced expert that says this is not a manufacturing defect, so it's not a warranty issue as far as we are concerned.

It's not fair to us to be expected to just eat it, especially without any questions asked at all. At the tight margins these things get we aren't going to just keep throwing free turbos at it until someone figures out what's wrong with the car. We already offered various options that did not include a completely free new turbo. We came up with so more that included free tunes and so forth (with contingencies to help fix the car) but did not have a chance to present them before the latest damning post. Hope it gets sorted, but we are pretty much done with this one at this point.

fostertdi

TDI
MKIV Jetta TDI '03
sorry about the delayed response. I had the flu last week and this was the last thing on my mind.

We take our customer service very seriously. We want to do the right thing by all our customers, but if there's something wrong with the car that's caused a brand new, genuine OEM turbo to fail so quickly, then why would we send out another without asking a few questions first? We have hundreds of these turbo's out in the field working to their full potential.

When we tried to delve further to find the potential cause for the failure we were greeted with the following response: "I'm an engineer, I know what I'm doing, just send me a turbo or else" and escalating threats. We try to go out of our way to take care of our customers, but if they can't supply us with the information we need to make an educated decision on the cause the the failure it becomes difficult for us to take the added measures of insuring the best possible customer experience. I never spoke with him or e-mailed him personally, but the way it all happened was very uncomfortable from the start.

As far as a correct recommendation at the time of the sale, we have to rely on our customers knowledge of their vehicle to make an informed recommendation. We can only go with what we are told.

First it's RC3 with stock map sensor. That's normally 18 psi, no problem. But we say the turbo won't be able to use it's full potential unless there's a 3bar AND MATCHING TUNE (this tune is something we emphasize but somehow got disregarded by the customer, but it is a very key point). He gets the 3 bar, and later we learn (in a forum post) he decided to ditch the boost valve for some reason (which we didn't know about or we would have said to keep it if he had a RC tune). And no matching update to the tune.

Then when I reminded him of this error on the forums, all of a sudden it's RC5, not RC3 after all. With a stock map sensor that would also be ~18 psi, but apparently the vnt17 was pushing 23 psi (boost valve limited) which would DEFINITELY be overboosting for that tune and map sensor combo. So something's not right there's either.

We can only work with the info we are given. Second-guessing on the forums and retroactive info doesn't help.

So there's some miscommunication there, and at least missed opportunity to identify a preexisting problem. Maybe if we had better info we would have made a different recommendation, or even had an opportunity to make a stronger caution to "fix what's wrong with the car first". Maybe some of this could have been communicated to us before the sale, and not only on the forums much later?

I don't know if this was brought up when he spoke to Chris initially, but also consider the old turbo is pushing oil past the blown piston ring seal at an alarming rate- this does not "just happen". The normal "wearing out" mode for those turbos is the thrust bearing wearing to the point where the compressor makes contact with the housing. It grinds away to where it's just not efficient anymore because of excessive compressor/housing clearance. Then it spins faster and faster trying to keep up with requested boost and eventually bang. (or sometimes they just howl louder and louder until the just stop making boost in a less dramatic demise)

My point being, the usual failure mode on a vnt17 is not the oil seals. From what I've seen, when oils seals fail on those, it's from high crankcase pressure, which impedes oil return flow. They can also fail from high oil supply pressure or some other cause like a kinked oil return line or an incorrectly oriented return line (seen in some uh, "custom" installations.) So in other words, this car has an oiling problem. The failure diagnosis (performed by an independent third party individual with 40 years of experience building custom turbos) did say it was a problem with the oil, along with overspeed (tuning/installation issue).

So what causes high crankcase pressure? blocked puck on top of the cam cover obviously, or else worn/sticking rings creating excessive blowby. Rings can stick like that when a car sits for a while without running (like this car did). If you are an old timer you may recall some of the forum discussions back in the day about "higher stage" tunes and crankcase pressure, dual puck setups, and so forth.

Then we see posted (first time I heard of it was a post) that it's not responding as quickly as the old vnt17? That's contrary to everything we know from our personal experience with the S7. It responds lighting fast, faster than any other turbo we've seen for those cars, even faster than the stock turbos. This tells me there was a problem with the installation like a boost leak or something like that. Even it's detractors (buzzken for example) claim "it's a spiky little b*tch". Not slow response. Never ever a "slow response" complaint. So that alone tells me something was not right with the installation. (removing the boost valve would only make it respond faster, not slower as Viesel guesses).

So is the problem that it's just an "inherently fragile" turbo? (as the detractors would like you to believe). I don't think so.

At one extreme. we have one customer in WI running this turbo at 45 psi with nitrous running 12 sec 1/4 miles in his Mk4 ALH. Not an exaggeration. (Not my recommendation, either) And when he's not at the track with slicks, he drives it every day AFAIK, for nearly a year now. The salesman who sold him this turbo has one in his own car and beats on it regularly. It works so well in our experience for many ALH/BEW applications that it will remain our "go-to" turbo in many cases. There are well over a hundred of them sold this year alone, so why is this one "not so lucky?" I would sure like to know for certain. We have a credible evaluation from an experienced expert that says this is not a manufacturing defect, so it's not a warranty issue as far as we are concerned.

It's not fair to us to be expected to just eat it, especially without any questions asked at all. At the tight margins these things get we aren't going to just keep throwing free turbos at it until someone figures out what's wrong with the car. We already offered various options that did not include a completely free new turbo. We came up with so more that included free tunes and so forth (with contingencies to help fix the car) but did not have a chance to present them before the latest damning post. Hope it gets sorted, but we are pretty much done with this one at this point.

Sounds like there are two sides to every story! My S7 pulls like a champ! I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to create the perfect daily driver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TorqueisKing

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
I just ordered the S7 Turbo from Kerma for my 02 ALH and they are starting me off at 22 psi sustained which i am really looking forward to after running a VNT15 for 200K. Is anyone else getting dependable higher boost out of it(with what other mods) and thoughts on upper limits anyone might have insight into. FYI I read the entire thread and have read the TruckTrend article where they got 156hp and 328ft-lbs. Just curious if anyone has additional data points. Thanks.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
The S7 is a BV39, it's smaller than a Garrett VNT17 and not suitable for over 22 PSI, even that is pushing it.

34.4/47.4 on the compressor, 37.5 and 34 on the turbine
(http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/project-trucks/1408-2002-volkswagen-jetta-tdi-jetta-fever-part-2/)
VS
36/49 compressor, 43/38.3 turbine on a VNT17.

150+WHP at 22 PSI would be pretty optimistic considering VNT17s at 24-25 make around that on a good day.

Note the part where they said 30 PSI of boost to make that power https://i.gyazo.com/22068f6ef179056a3819db74ffa2eae7.png That is not safe.

Last edited:

TorqueisKing

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
Thanks for the feedback OWain.
Sounds like it is already maxed out with my current tune then.

I did notice the "30psi" in that article but i figured that was not steady state boost, rather transient spikes with an unspecified sustained number.... like 24,25,26...

Kerma's website states the turbo is good for 180hp and unspecified torque but does not have any details on a full package needed to get to that level. I asked them but got no response. If what you say is true then the S7's ability might have been exaggerated.

That being said, I did pick the S7 becasue of it's low-rev-torque nature so I still expect to be very happy with it. But wanted to know if anyone else had achieve higher safe performance since Kerma's tunes tend to be conservative(which is not a bad thing).

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
Here is a Dyno run I pulled this summer 2016 with the Kerma 150+ HP kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzrzOYfGS1A

I have been very happy with this set up, the S7 spools very quick and smooth right from the low end with like no turbo leg. I am pushing 27psi peak and 25psi steady with no issues.
I have been able to get the Jetta to 228km/h (needle is buried but GPS signal said the speed), she was up around 6G RPM.
This is my daily driver and I am not easy on her. I am always driving it like I stole it.

I also load her up all the time, who needs a truck right =P I had it loaded on the rack plus 10 bags of cement in the trunk, she didn't even notice it.

Volkswagen:

MK4 2003 Jetta TDI, ALH Engine, 5 Speed Transmission
Fully Loaded with Leather Heated Interior, Sunroof, Steering Wheel Controls & VW Seat Belt Protectors
3200lbs
Over 420,000 Km

Dyno: 06/25/16 180.9 WHP 324.2 Ft-lbs/TQ MAX

Engine/Performance Upgrades:

ProSport Evo Gauges (BOOST, EGT, VOLT)
Custom Chip/ECU Kerma Calibration Tuning
Series 7 Borg Warner Turbocharger
Kerma “OMI” Intake
3Bar Map Sensor
Darkside EGR Delete/Race Pipe & EGR Cooler Delete
Bosio DLC 764 Nozzles
11mm Fuel Injection Pump
PD Lift Pump & Wiring Kit
2.5" Custom Stainless Exhaust, De-Cat & MagnaFlow
Kerma CCV Oil Separator & Mann+Hummel ProVent 200
Kerma Braided Stainless Steel Turbo Oil Supply Lines
South Bend Stage II Endurance Clutch & G60 Single Mass Flywheel
Wavetrac LSD Differential
Sigma 5 Speed Short Shifter
034 Motorsport Street Density Motor & Transmission Mounts
R32 LCA Bushings

They didn't print the data for the 181WHP =(

Last edited:

TorqueisKing

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
D-cappz, thanks for all the great info- this is exactly the type of example i was looking for- I remember seeing your setup somewhere but did not know you had an S7.

Now that I know what the turbo can handle, I can start working on the other supporting mods to get there.

I wonder what the next weakest link is in my setup that is causing Kerma to keep me down at 22psi sustained??? I'll try asking them again.

My only mods right now are 216 off-brand injectors, S7, and stage 2 endurance clutch.

Clayslayer

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta and a 1977 Ford F-150 with a 4BT Cummins
I've been ordering from Kerma for years now and have had nothing but good luck with them. They're fast, friendly, and honest. You can't say that about too many companies anymore.

Curious tho...I have a Borg Warner Triple K turbo (BV39) on my MKIV. Wonder if that's the same (or similar to) the "S7"

TorqueisKing

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
The housing says BV-39 on the ID plate but i think the compressor and/or turbine wheel is upgraded from a stock BV-39. but don't quote me on that.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
They state it's brand new from BW on their site, and the dimensions listed by a sponsor match that of the stock BV39 found on European PD140s. It's a great turbo and provides better bottom end torque than a VNT17, but also flows well due to extended tip technology, getting that big of a bump in performance from a 1.4mm increase in compressor inducer size is impressive. It does not flow as much as a VNT17 and should be set to 22 PSI.

Last edited:

TorqueisKing

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH
They state it's brand new from BW on their site, and the dimensions listed by a sponsor match that of the stock BV39 found on European PD140s. It's a great turbo and provides better bottom end torque than a VNT17, but also flows well due to extended tip technology, getting that big of a bump in performance from a 1.4mm increase in compressor inducer size is impressive. It does not flow as much as a VNT17 and should be set to 22 PSI.
D-cappz further up on this thread says he's running Kerma tune 25psi sustained 27 spike everyday with the S7 and has the dyno graphs to go with it. I doubt Charlie would give him a tune destined to grenade a turbo. If anything Charlie seems to like alot of safety factor.

Last edited:

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Well, I want a turbo that spools comparably to a BV39, and is durable enough to do some slightly higher boost pressures. Without breaking. Without having me back under the hood to replace the broken bits. No need for anything nutty, but I'd probably pay nutty for the right thing...:)

So far the Not-Plug-n-Play GTD1752VRK looks like the best option. A big, little turbo.
cheers,
Douglas

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A VNT-17 with the right tune will spool fast and be bulletproof. And it's plug and play.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
A VNT-17 with the right tune will spool fast and be bulletproof. And it's plug and play.
Curious what the boost response of a VNT17 is like to the stock 15. Been thinking of swapping out to a 17 but I love the quick spool and near full boost at 2000RPM is really nice.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Personal experience since I've experienced mine, I can't tell a difference on spool time on the 17 vs 15,and it builds to 22psi instantly at 1800rpms. Probably shouldn't lug it so much.... :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've always thought the VNT-17 with a tune works great in a BEW, but it does spool slower in an ALH, even with a good tune. In the ALH for most driving I prefer the VNT-15. But the VNT-15 has its limits, and it also spikes much more readily than the 17. I'm running RC3+ on my wagon with a Mahle VNT-15 that's approaching 100K miles of service. Works great, but I don't beat on it.

I've come to realize I drive my car with a lot of respect for the turbo. Alway roll into the accelerator, don't stab it, don't ask for high boost at low revs, keep an eye on EGTs. It's all habit now after years of driving these cars. But if you push the car hard the VNT-17 is hard to beat.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Oooops...I got my alphabet soup mixed up earlier...:) I want something that spools like the KP39, as found OE on my 2004 BEW. Wee bit more pressure and less worry about breaking it whilst making some power.

Still really liking that GTD1752VRK but there is a bit more work and $$ involved there.
cheers,
Douglas

JettaTDI

TDI
I need to replace my original turbo on my '02 Jetta with 350,000 miles. I'm not looking for a tune at this point, just a turbo. I drive this car 150 miles daily. I would just install another stock (VNT-15?) turbo, but I'd like to have something a little bigger if I decide to get a tune for it in the future. I'm looking for a little extra power with MPG. Generally, I drive around 80-85 mph at 2800 rpm. I shift around 2400.

My question is: Can I install a new s7 or VNT-17 out of the box and run it on an unmodified/stock engine?

I'm also considering the ECO TDI kit that Kerma sells.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Sure you can. But if your plans are limited to a possible tune in the future, I'd stick with a stock VNT-15. FWIW, my son's '02 Golf has its original turbo at 380K miles.

VWdrummer

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi Wagon
Just to put my .02 in... I have put almost 18k on my S7 with the tune from Kerma. Charlie and I went back and forth a few times and fine-tuned the tune for it until I was happy. Their customer service has been, by far, the best I've ever experienced. I drive my car hard and never "lug" the engine around which I believe is the key to making our turbos last the longest. I regularly see 700-800 mile tanks on the interstate. This turbo is so much smoother than the 1749vb I had that snapped its shaft sitting in the driveway. I have had a few tunes in my car, but the best by far has been the one Charlie at Kerma sent me.

My tune usually gives me a little spike to 24psi then settles to 22psi under WOT. I always roll into the throttle and never go WOT under 1800rpm.

Have fun and be safe out there...