Anyone w/ VCDS cable to share in PA?

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
Hi all,

Anyone with a VCDS cable/software in SE PA willing to share for a case of beer?
I'm looking to implement the headlight voltage bump on our Passat, as the lights are a bit dim at night. Can't find enough other software mods to try to justify the $250 outlay myself.

Thanks and happy motoring.

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
Yea, don't waste 250.00 on the cable just to adjust the headlight voltage. I have it but way to far away or you would be welcome to it.
I adjusted the voltage on mine same day as I turned on the rain feature. Really did not notice any difference. When I gave the adjusting screws 4 full turns raising the lights that really helped out. Difference was day to night. So far no one has give me their high beams when passing by. I think I should be ok.
I did however order 4 brighter bulbs to throw in it. I will post up soon as I get them installed.

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
Thanks. Seems like all you guys are out in the sunny west.
The HID lamps sound tempting, but I'm waiting to see if any bugs need shaking out like the car throwing codes or issues with a starting sequence (lights first, engine second, wait 10 minutes, etc etc). Plus I'm really fussy about keeping the car as OEM as possible. The thought of Dremeling my baby makes me cringe!

So bumping the voltage seems like a quick easy way to squeeze a few more lumens out of the headlights. It may not look much brighter, but a 5% increase in voltage has to generate a 10% increase in lumens (and heat). And it is free (or a case of beer if I'm lucky) ignoring the shorter bulb life.

Look forward to hearing your impressions of the replacement bulbs. Which are they you're trying?

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
This is what I ordered. It is in one of my previous posts.

The only reliable bulbs that will increase light output and are safe for VW

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Even David Stearn approves. The OSRAM Ralleye bulbs are marked as "offroad only" But work fine and no LEO is going cite you for using them. They are brighter, but not amazingly so. They will have about the same life as a stock bulb.

The real solution if you are really displeased with the factory lights is to retrofit factory HID's which are significantly brighter but not cheap. Might be cheaper than the damage that overwatt bulbs could cause.

Evil BAy bulbs use a blue coating on the bulbs to make them look bluer (like HIDs). But the coating reduces actual light output. So they overdrive the bulbs, shortening their life, drawing excess current and overheating the bulb and connector. The result is expensive bulbs that need frequent replacement, don't light the road any better and are likely to damage your electrical system.

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
Yes, I remember that post now. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of them. Not sure if much can be done with the stock reflectors sticking with 55W halogens. The difference between cars in effectiveness of H7 headlights, given different housing design, is surprising and frustrating. Our 2008 SAAB 9-5, with H7's, had suprisingly good headlights. Our new Passat, not so bright though well distributed with sharp cut-off.

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
Seriously if I had adjusted them before I ordered the bulbs, I probably would not have ordered them.
It will only be better with the new bulbs.

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
Oh yea, got the new bulbs and they are installed. I did one side and turned them on in the garage, shining on the wall the new side is definitely a lot brighter. Changed the other side.

After dark I will be on the road to check em out. See if I get high beamed now with the 4 turns up I did before.

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
I just got back from a ride, no one hi-beamed me so I think i'll keep as is.
As far as the bulbs being brighter they are, however I replaced all 4. If I were to do it again I would just replace the low beams and just adjust them up to shine further.

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
Thanks

I just got back from a ride, no one hi-beamed me so I think i'll keep as is.
As far as the bulbs being brighter they are, however I replaced all 4. If I were to do it again I would just replace the low beams and just adjust them up to shine further.
Did a bunch of research and feel I know alot more about halogen bulbs now. Thanks for your input, I just ordered a pair of 65W's for the low beams. Sounds like there are no 55W bulbs that put out more lumens without giving up significant bulb life (simple engineering - my career).

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
Change in plans

Check your PM ... I'm about 35 min from you and have a cable.
35 minutes is not that bad. Thanks and I will keep it in mind if I find another setting to change. Plan now is to try 65W rallye H7's in the low-beam sockets. And I definitely don't want to bump the voltage up if I do that. Following armstrongtruck's lead on this one.

Unfortunately with a 2013 I don't have the rain sensor on the windshield, so that VCDS trick is also out. :(

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
Low-beams changed to 65W Osram's. Very nice - much brighter & whiter. And I don`t think it will fry my wiring or sockets.