Anyone use "slick 50" or similar??

VocalVirgo

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan Value Edition, Platinum Grey, 6MT
slick 5o makes a 100,000 mile version of their product. i used it in my TDI during my first oil change. i actually have no idea if its doing anything for me, so i wondered if any1 here knows anything about it, or of any other brand that will work in out TDI's.
i had a gasser 10 years ago that had bad and noisy lifters and it was worse in the dead of winter. i used slick 50 in the parking lot of the auto parts store and put it in while the car was running and i swear, in like 5 seconds all the slaping and taping stoped. i then started it first thing in the morning in 15 degrees, and it was GONE...the slappin was just gone. so i wanna know if the stuff is good 4 us....

chance

Veteran Member
this has been talked about alot before, but the general input and the way i believe also is.

DO NOT BUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN GOOD QUALITY SYNTHIC MOTOR OIL IN YOUR ENGINE.YOU ARE WAISTING MONEY ANY COULD DO POSSIBLE HARM TO YOUR ENGINE.ALMOST ALL OF THOSE ADDITIVES HAVE BEEN SUED BY CLASS ACTION SUITS,ECT. ITS A WONDER THAT SOME ARE STILL ON THE SHELVES.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Slick 50 BAD!!!
Synthetic oil GOOD!!!

The Slick 50 will clog up your oil filter, and mess up the engine. DON'T USE IT!!!

I read that you already put it in your engine. NOT GOOD. Next time try asking your question before doing stuff like this. Too bad for you. The engine with proper oil will already go 300K miles plus. Why do you want to mess with success?

If you're making noise, try a blend of 20% biodiesel. Or Powerservice fuel supplement, or something that's not going to do damage to your engine long range.

Just my .02

VocalVirgo

Veteran Member
TDI
Driven' EZ:
gee u sound so sweet, it a wonder we're not married!! lol. anyways, yes, i used it once 3 years and 60,000 miles ago b4 i realized there was such a thing as ur helpful and wonderful hand 2 guide me along. i ppromise never 2 do it again, pleade don't b mad at me.
and just u watch... i'll get my little car past the 500K mark just out of spite twords my X friend who seamlessly put over 500K on his '92 Camry.

Neil Womack

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2003 Jetta 2009
Save the PTFE for frying pans.

If you want a boundary lubricant try some of the really good oils with Moly in them.

Schaeffer's, Redline, Royal Purple or even John Deere oil.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
_._ Sorry if the answers that you got seem a little confrontational, VV, but they're good advice.
_._ For a little more background, stuff like "Slick 50" contains PTFE (that's polyumble, turrumble, furrumble, esterumble - but most people know it as "Teflon"). The deal is that if you put it in your oil, you're basically getting liquid plastic all through your engine. Most people consider the whole idea kinda medicine show snake oil thing, but the jury's out on whether it's a problem in gassers. But our TDI's are a very adverse environment for it. If that cr@p burns up and leaves a deposit on your cylinder walls, you'll likely get more blowby with probable damage to your rings, etc. Not good. Also, the high pressures in a diesel are likely to draw it, with oil, into the combustion chambers. Add that to the fact that there's a fair amount of stuff exchanged with EGR and CCV, and you'll probably get some of it down the exhaust. Probably not good for valves, exhause, catalysts, etc.
_._ Since it's been a while since you used it, you probably got away with it, but it just doesn't make any sense to put that stuff in a TDI engine -- there's just too much risk. Not certain damage, but too much risk.
_._ HTH, Bruce Henderson, Wallace NC

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
Originally posted by VocalVirgo:
Driven' EZ:
gee u sound so sweet, it a wonder we're not married!! lol. anyways, yes, i used it once 3 years and 60,000 miles ago b4 i realized there was such a thing as ur helpful and wonderful hand 2 guide me along. i ppromise never 2 do it again, pleade don't b mad at me.
and just u watch... i'll get my little car past the 500K mark just out of spite twords my X friend who seamlessly put over 500K on his '92 Camry.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">poor little boi believes everything he reads and gets pissed when someone tells you the truth.

ok, you put 500k on your tdi... It probably wont make it thru the next two weeks with all these weird noises you talk about!

VocalVirgo

Veteran Member
TDI
Was there a reason why Car54 was being a jerk 2 me? wow, that was uncalled 4.

and yes, im very aware of what im reading. and i research everything--good advice or bad.

and gee, thanx for that nasty comment at the end.
you go down as the only rude person on this great site.
theres always that one apple.........
(now that didnt feel good, did it.... so dont do it 2 others, man.)

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
I put it in an old car w 250,000 miles.
Death came at 275,000, so it probably wasn't the Slick 50. I'm 80% sure I saw news on TV that said Slick 50 had been sued by the government or someone else.