Anyone use Garmin GPS Bluetooth?

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
Am curious about that also. The reviews that I have read on the internet say the voice recognition feature worked really good, it said that even with the radio playing in the background that it worked very good. I was looking at the Nuvi 880 which has the ability to get a lifetime MSN subscription for $129. With that (in most urban areas) you can get weather updates, traffic problems, movie times, & most other information you might be looking for if you were out of your area. I guess the other big factor is cost. My kids have the Nuvi 205 & I have used it on a couple of recent trips. It did pretty much anything we wanted it to do including looking up store, restaraunt, movie theater, locations plus phone #'s for same. You can buy the Nuvi 205 online for $110, the best online price that I have seen for the Nuvi 880 on line was $470 so I'm not sure if it is worth the extra money. Like all newer developing technologies I think the prices on the higher end models will keep coming down. I think that 1 feature that will eventually make these units a real driving bonus is the ability to route you automatically around accidents & delays.

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I have a 660, which is already a couple years old. It still works fine but I'm thinking of upgrading to the 765T anyway and give my 660 to my brother. The 765T has the lane assist feature, life-time traffic, and is about $400. I need a unit with Bluetooth since Nj is a hands-free state. The 660 paired to my Motorola Q within a few minutes the first time and only on rare occasions has it failed to automatically pair since. The mic is apparently good--A lot of people have commented they don't believe I'm using a speaker phone when I use it and I don't have to shout to be heard. I use the Aux in to use the car's stereo to receive so the clarity when listening is excellent. OTOH, using its internal speaker or the FM transmitter gave me mixed results from poor to just tolerable in my previous car, which did not have an AUX in. The weakness of the FM transmitter was a common complaint in the 660, but otherwise it's a solid unit. So IMO, if you have an AUX in, the Nuvis are good performers.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
jkp1187 said:
Just wondering if anyone had ever used the hands-free Bluetooth feature that comes with some of the newer Garmin GPS units. Does it work well?
Do some reading over at the various GPS forums on this subject. It works, but how well is up for much discussion...the mic is tiny, the speaker is kind of small and faces the windshield. People have been complaining about the overall performance for ages. I think Garmin has upgraded the speaker in some of the newer units. Mine sounds just fine.

I've got a 360 and a 760 ...both are BT-equipped. The integration with my AT&T Razor is good. In fact, some of the integrated features and functionality are rather impressive. I like to use it to listen to voice mail. I've placed a few calls with it. I'd say the performance and voice quality is "OK"...certainly nothing better than that.

The 760 is new to me and has a built-in FM transmitter. I think you can set it up so it would play incoming cell calls thru the vehicle sound system. I've yet to try it. I have set the transmitter so it will play navigation (and music) thru the sound system...that does work, some complain that the x-mitter is too weak and there are issues in major urban centers.

Garmin does offer an optional microphone for these devices. That may improve things a bit.

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
motoblue said:
I have a 660, which is already a couple years old. It still works fine but I'm thinking of upgrading to the 765T anyway and give my 660 to my brother. The 765T has the lane assist feature, life-time traffic, and is about $400. I need a unit with Bluetooth since Nj is a hands-free state. The 660 paired to my Motorola Q within a few minutes the first time and only on rare occasions has it failed to automatically pair since. The mic is apparently good--A lot of people have commented they don't believe I'm using a speaker phone when I use it and I don't have to shout to be heard. I use the Aux in to use the car's stereo to receive so the clarity when listening is excellent. OTOH, using its internal speaker or the FM transmitter gave me mixed results from poor to just tolerable in my previous car, which did not have an AUX in. The weakness of the FM transmitter was a common complaint in the 660, but otherwise it's a solid unit. So IMO, if you have an AUX in, the Nuvis are good performers.
So sound quality is good from the AUX input -- can people on the other end hear you okay when you're using it?

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
dieseldorf said:
Do some reading over at the various GPS forums on this subject. It works, but how well is up for much discussion...the mic is tiny, the speaker is kind of small and faces the windshield. People have been complaining about the overall performance for ages. I think Garmin has upgraded the speaker in some of the newer units. Mine sounds just fine.

I've got a 360 and a 760 ...both are BT-equipped. The integration with my AT&T Razor is good. In fact, some of the integrated features and functionality are rather impressive. I like to use it to listen to voice mail. I've placed a few calls with it. I'd say the performance and voice quality is "OK"...certainly nothing better than that.

The 760 is new to me and has a built-in FM transmitter. I think you can set it up so it would play incoming cell calls thru the vehicle sound system. I've yet to try it. I have set the transmitter so it will play navigation (and music) thru the sound system...that does work, some complain that the x-mitter is too weak and there are issues in major urban centers.

Garmin does offer an optional microphone for these devices. That may improve things a bit.
\

Thanks.