Anyone try fighting VW Canada re Rust Warranty?

Gibby

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Wagon
Passenger side was right through and drivers is borderline, just going to get new ones and get them painted when she's in the booth.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Passenger side was right through and drivers is borderline, just going to get new ones and get them painted when she's in the booth.

Unless your car was manufactured prior to 2004 and it isn't valid for the 12 year warranty anymore I would fight it.

our 04 sedan had fenders done in the spring, sometime in march and it was approved. Fenders didn't have holes but were really rusted (paint chipping).

Trudy at Leaven's (main person that deals with the warranties) isn't the best person for this task IMO.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
My mom just got the 2006 Jetta wagon approved for new front fenders. Rears were rejected because supposedly they had been repaired after a collision (maybe before I was owner?). They say they will not paint blend though.

This was at Kelowna, BC VW (Turner VW). Vernon VW closer to me rejected it out of hand saying that fenders are NEVER approved because rust is due to rock chips etc. This time we applied online for the inspection at Kelowna VW and planned to fight with VWoC if we were rejected. Maybe that online appointment (proves the claim) is key or maybe Kelowna is just more honest about this...

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
As soon as the woman doing the claim for me saw the paint peeling on the top of the drivers fender arch, she said it'll be approved. And it was

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Just talked to a friend at a body shop in London, she says fight fight fight,. So wish me luck.
There is more to this story. Did they say why it was denied? Did you do anything with the rust (covered it with touch up paint, etc.)? If you do anything at all, it will be denied.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All corrosion warranty claims need to be filed online first. So if you go to a dealer and they verbally reject it, they are not following procedure. The online timing was done to make all clams consistent.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
All corrosion warranty claims need to be filed online first. So if you go to a dealer and they verbally reject it, they are not following procedure. The online timing was done to make all clams consistent.

I guess this whole process is as half assed as VW makes of things. We had 2 cars (b5.5 and MK4 BEW) go through the warranty and none used the online process. I honestly didn't know about it.

But we had our time wasted by Leavens and their Trudy lady that deals with these warranties at their dealership.

Gibby

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Wagon
Imo000,

Nothing was done to any of the panels, all measured within Vw paint spec. Was told rock chips caused issues. Going to call Vw today and do alittle fighting and see where that gets me. And everthing was done online first as per Vw.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Imo000,

Nothing was done to any of the panels, all measured within Vw paint spec. Was told rock chips caused issues. Going to call Vw today and do alittle fighting and see where that gets me. And everthing was done online first as per Vw.
If the rust was at the top of the wheel arch and is untouched, it will be covered. The dealer shouldn't have made a decision on the spot, they need to file the claim even if they "think" it won't be covered by the warranty. Next time you are there, make sure to tell them to file it. Also, they should have instructed you as a first step, fill out the online for to start the claim process. That's the first thing everyone needs to do and ONLY then the dealer will set up the appointment to measure the paint and take pictures of the claim areas.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
If the rust was at the top of the wheel arch and is untouched, it will be covered. The dealer shouldn't have made a decision on the spot, they need to file the claim even if they "think" it won't be covered by the warranty. Next time you are there, make sure to tell them to file it. Also, they should have instructed you as a first step, fill out the online for to start the claim process. That's the first thing everyone needs to do and ONLY then the dealer will set up the appointment to measure the paint and take pictures of the claim areas.
I didn't fill out any online form. The dealer did everything.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
No online claim form required (At least for me at Barrie VW) Make an appointment at the dealer, get pics taken, wait for them to call you.

OMALLEY_808

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI
Just keep pushing. I'm living down in California right now (From Toronto and car still has Onterrible plates). I STILL managed to get my rust warranty covered down here after getting the run around with my 06 jetta. In the end the regional manager got involved and the whole process took nearly two months!!! They gave me a complementary 2016 CC and then a 2016 Jetta while my car was being repaired. They ended up replacing both front fenders, trunk, and repairing the bubbling rear quarter panel.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Nice work OMalley given that it was south of the border ! I Know of an 04 jetta that was just given the go ahead up here even in Onterrible. Also know of an 05 being given the go ahead at Owasco VW.

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
07 passat

my 07 passat they are fixing the hood and the hatch they will not fix my front fenders, will not fix the corrosion under my door handles, will not fix the dog leg corrosion, will not fix the corrosion in the door jam where the plastic trim rubs.

they say that the door handle area wont be fixed because the handle hits the paint and causes the corrosion.. well who designed it to hit the paint??

they say the door jam area cant be fixed because the door made contact, there is no way it made contact.

fenders cant be fixed as its just peeling, they didn't take a photo underneath to show the flange is rotted off..

pretty much lame excuses for everything.

what is the best method to escalate this claim? is there any point perusing?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
Update,

After some agraviting phone calls to Vw, they have now decided to cover my fender also.
Great to hear!

PAG, the shop they use in london did a decent job matching the paint of our 04 fenders and we've been happy.

Gibby

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Wagon
Mine is going to burwell, per my request. All 4 that do work for Vw in London are customers of mine.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Mine is going to burwell, per my request. All 4 that do work for Vw in London are customers of mine.
what are leavens choices for work??? should i be requesting somewhere? i want the best i can get...touareg needs a new hatch

Gibby

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Wagon
I believe 4 shops in Town. Pag, Burwell, and I can't think on other 2. I will just say this, last time I was doing work @ burwell they had a pretty red Ferrari in the booth and a gt3 cup car wating to go in. I think that they have my old wagon coverd...

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe 4 shops in Town. Pag, Burwell, and I can't think on other 2. I will just say this, last time I was doing work @ burwell they had a pretty red Ferrari in the booth and a gt3 cup car wating to go in. I think that they have my old wagon coverd...

I have also dealt with Burwell and loved them.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=450448

If I would have known we had an option, I would have not used PAG.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is it really that hard to write properly or use full words? ?

Sleek

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Hello forum! I'm new, first time caller.
I'm upset.
I want to restart the conversation on rust based on sound proofing 'foam'. I wish I had known earlier. From the forum I know there's a TSB, but only on Jettas up to 05 (I'm an 06, with bubbling around my passenger side front fender, otherwise mint. NOT perforated, but it will be soon enough). I also know that different dealerships respond differently to VWs 12 year corrosion warranty.

1) Is Bytek's reputation still THAT bad? They're the closest dealer to me.
2) I'm making an appointment for next week. I haven't done any body work etc to that front fender (I'll post a pic). Any recommendations to increase my odds of getting a completely new fender? I fear that a fix will only delay the problem.

Thanks for the great info and support here. Wish me luck.
IMG_8935.jpg

Last edited:

j_martell

Veteran Member
TDI
Reflex Silver 2006 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
The warranty is on all cars, for 12 years from the in service date, the day it was purchased from the dealer. My wagon is also an 06, and in warranty until September 2017

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My '05 Passat is still under warranty. Getting a new door after Christmas. Almost the entire car has been repainted or replaced by them. :)

Last edited: