anyone tow yet with your sportwagen?

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
just wondering if anyone that has towed could comment on how much weight a wagon will handle, I'll get the air lift bags but it takes a while for them to come,,

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
VWoA doesn't include towing specs on the spec sheet.

However, I just looked at the Golf Estate brochure on the VW site and the trailer load limits for the Mk7 2.0 TDI are:

Braked 12% incline (both manual and DSG): 1,600 kg (3,527 lb)
Unbraked manual: 680 kg (1,499 lb)
Unbraked DSG: 690 kg (1,521 lb)
Towbar load limit: 80 kg (176 lb)

Bam15012

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon
Since the GSW is not recomened to tow with because of the DSS; I wonder if the Golf Estates has different programming for the DSG then our GSWs.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If the trailer has brakes or not, if you don't know what those are, you shouldn't be towing.

12% incline warms up those brakes quite quickly.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I was debating on whether to get a hitch or not. I would tow my Kubota BX1870 to dealer for service or my sister's house maybe a couple times a year, and trailer once in awhile for items for home/yard. Can't seem to find a plug-n-play wiring harness for the '15 GSW. I don't like splicing into wires....

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
i pull my Kubota bx tractor, on a 5x10 trailer now without issue, I've pulled 3000 lb easily as well. on a b7 passat, i saw about a plug n play wiring but i can get 5 wire powered modules at the upick for a few dollars so will use one i pulled and tap in for the wiring

Last edited:

bio tdi

TDI
'04 golf tdi
I was debating on whether to get a hitch or not. I would tow my Kubota BX1870 to dealer for service or my sister's house maybe a couple times a year, and trailer once in awhile for items for home/yard. Can't seem to find a plug-n-play wiring harness for the '15 GSW. I don't like splicing into wires....
FWIW I have a 2015 GSW and despite being told by many that the Tekonsha 118730 wiring harness wouldn't fit, I bought one and it fits and operates perfectly. It is a direct plug in and the only hassle is running the power wire up to the battery. I'm in Canada but I suspect U.S cars would be the same and that VW didn't change the plugs for the tail lights from 2015 to 2016.

Sammi91

TDI
2015 sportwagon
If you do tow would it be better to put in sport or just drive. Was thinking sport would hold in gear longer when shifting and may be better than lugging motor. Just a question.

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
FWIW I have a 2015 GSW and despite being told by many that the Tekonsha 118730 wiring harness wouldn't fit, I bought one and it fits and operates perfectly. It is a direct plug in and the only hassle is running the power wire up to the battery. I'm in Canada but I suspect U.S cars would be the same and that VW didn't change the plugs for the tail lights from 2015 to 2016.
Did you run the power wire all the way to the battery, or did you tap into a 12V source in the trunk area like the power outlet?

tanker

TDI
2015 GSW TrendLine
I tow with the DSG in S, better shift points up and down. I ran the power all the way to the battery since I was having difficulty getting access to the 12v source in the trunk. I used the same harness I removed form my 2009 TDI. For that I used the 12v in the trunk. Both locations work fine.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Did you run the power wire all the way to the battery, or did you tap into a 12V source in the trunk area like the power outlet?
If you're doing a quick survey, I'm one who just tapped 12V off of the electrical outlet in the back - works fine for me.

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
If you're doing a quick survey, I'm one who just tapped 12V off of the electrical outlet in the back - works fine for me.
Thanks. I'm probably not going to tow anything heavy (I have a 3/4-ton Suburban for that), but it would be nice to have trailer wiring if I ever do get a small camping trailer or something. I have the hitch for bikes, but you never know. ;)

mikesarge

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI SEL 6MT

Just installed mine today (golf, not GSW,) but I had no trouble tapping in at the 12v outlet in the trunk and it works fine so far.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
More than 2000km last summer. ~2000lbs

DSG TDI GSW
Bosal hitch
Tekonsha p3 brake controller
Tekonsha modded plug'n play wiring
Airlift helper bag

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt

I ran my power wire to the front fuse box where there is an unused power tab and added in inline fuse there on the wire

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks. I'm probably not going to tow anything heavy (I have a 3/4-ton Suburban for that), but it would be nice to have trailer wiring if I ever do get a small camping trailer or something. I have the hitch for bikes, but you never know. ;)
Same - I have the beater 2002 TDI 6MT for towing the trailer out to the dump, so the receiver on the 2015 is 99% for bikes. But....for that one time a year where I want/need trailer wiring on the GSW - glad to have it. :)

mikesarge

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI SEL 6MT
I towed a ~400lb fridge, a welder, and probably 80lbs of tools and junk about 800 miles last week. I didn't even feel it behind me, aside from the hit to fuel economy.

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
I have a 16.5' aluminum bass boat I to pretty regularly with my Sportwagen. People on the road can't even see the car from behind :D There is enough power to haul the boat around, but I'd be hesitant to tow something much bigger. Yanking it out of the lake on the boat ramp is a little tricky and I usually disable traction control and let the wheels spin a little. Fuel economy towing drops to high 20s.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Just installed mine today (golf, not GSW,) but I had no trouble tapping in at the 12v outlet in the trunk and it works fine so far.
I added a fuse to the stock fuse panel behind the "sunglasses holder". It was a bit of a pain but it's a clean way to do it.

There's nice "how to" in the how to thread, also one on taking care of the wiring. You don't have to do any spicing but you do have to swap a couple wires around in the harness.

I've pulled around 1,500 lbs and it does so just fine.

capnjack

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon (sold back to VW), 2015 manual shift TDI Sportwagon, w Westphalia hitch
Peter, at ID parts, tells me that he can no longer get the Bosal hitch for the 2015 Golf TDI sportwagen I am trying to set up - Bosal apparently is no longer willing to supply him. Anyone out there know a supplier for what in this country would be called a class 2 hitch for a 2015 VW Golf TDI (Mk 7, with CRUA engine) Sportwagen? Westfalia? some other? Thanks,
Jack

capnjack

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon (sold back to VW), 2015 manual shift TDI Sportwagon, w Westphalia hitch
Peter, at ID parts, tells me that he can no longer get the Bosal hitch for the 2015 Golf TDI sportwagen I am trying to set up - Bosal apparently is no longer willing to supply him. Anyone out there know a supplier for what in this country would be called a class 2 hitch for a 2015 VW Golf TDI (Mk 7, with CRUA engine) Sportwagen? Westfalia? some other? Thanks,
Jack

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Yes it's a DSG.

800lbs

1800lbs

2200lbs (air bag inflated because tongue heavy)

Keep in mind all my trailer have electric brake.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Man, that's one big honker of a snow blower!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Make sure you know where the dog is when you fire that thing up.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Apparently, our fine American friends are unfamiliar with the joys of a Canadian winter.

(A little ski hill here in BC once got so much snow (little over 6ft. IIRC) they couldn't get the snow-cats out to groom the runs...had to dig them out.)

How do the airbag things install / work? Do you need an air compressor to fill them? What PSI do they run at?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I grew up in Iowa and Nebraska and travel to Montreal about every other month. I know what snow is and I know how great it is to have a snow blower. I'm just extremely happy to now live somewhere that shuts down at the sight of more than a few flakes an hour. Already planning on not having to go to work Monday for our blast of winter that will probably be 1-2 cm of snow and maybe a little ice. Have to pick up bread and milk tomorrow, assuming there is any left on the shelves.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Apparently, our fine American friends are unfamiliar with the joys of a Canadian winter.

(A little ski hill here in BC once got so much snow (little over 6ft. IIRC) they couldn't get the snow-cats out to groom the runs...had to dig them out.)

How do the airbag things install / work? Do you need an air compressor to fill them? What PSI do they run at?
Nope, you just slide them in, route the hose somewhere reachable and fill them with your tire compressor when needed.

https://youtu.be/_XyW-mNnyNk