Anyone thinking about TDI Fest '06?

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
Me and my father have plans to travel to Pennsylvania for TDI Fest '06. Currently our plans are to make a road trip out of it giving one of our two jettas a workout.

We wanted to know if anyone from the atlantic region is interested in going and perhapse would like to form a bit of a VW convoy for lack of better words.

My father works at HRM Fire with Fryman and I am currently finishing high school.

If anyone is interested please post a reply.

Thanks.

Ryan and Dave Geldart

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I'm very interested in going - mostly to get a rocketchip upgrade!
Assuming nothing major comes up to interfere with my going, I'd be happy to join you.
Rob

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
excelent, like I said plans are not set final, actually they're in the pre-plan stage. However over the next few weeks I hope to have more things set in place.

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
We've booked our rooms, from the 31st of august to the morning of the 4th of september, What we were thinking was heading down on the 29th. Stopping over night in maine, then overnight in NY/NJ and arriving on the 31st. After the event as to the trip back Take the scenic route staying off the i-95 as much as possible. This is just a very tentative thought, I'm open to ideas. We've been wanting to go down for a while, and thought it be fun to go down in a group.

Hoodie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Fyrman said:
Probably not... adds a lot more money to the cost of the trip to save half a tank of fuel!:cool:
Or did he mean...

1) we live on an island....or

2) will we take the ferry to save time

I've actually had the first one happen when skiing @ Mont-Sainte-Anne, Quebec a couple of winters ago....got talking with an American couple...I can't remember where they were visiting from. They asked me if we take a plane or boat to get off the island. :rolleyes: I got a chuckle needless to say. Really nice folks btw.

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Hoodie said:
Or did he mean...

1) we live on an island....or

2) will we take the ferry to save time

I've actually had the first one happen when skiing @ Mont-Sainte-Anne, Quebec a couple of winters ago....got talking with an American couple...I can't remember where they were visiting from. They asked me if we take a plane or boat to get off the island. :rolleyes: I got a chuckle needless to say. Really nice folks btw.
I baffled a guy in Nashville a few years ago the same way. He actually had the gall to ask me if Nova Scotia was overseas!! I asked him if Rand McNally was actually American! :D This guy wasn't as nice.. more of a wealthy, pompus, a$$. Every society has their 1%. :cool:

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
If some of you guys go and I do not have someone to split a room with (if indeed I am going :) ) would you guys be interested in sharing accomodations to reduce the costs or are you guys mostly..umm.."solo" fellas? :p

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
Fyrman said:
I baffled a guy in Nashville a few years ago the same way. He actually had the gall to ask me if Nova Scotia was overseas!! I asked him if Rand McNally was actually American! :D This guy wasn't as nice.. more of a wealthy, pompus, a$$. Every society has their 1%. :cool:
Hey guys! I'm glad you got a chuckle from my question!

I admit sometimes our appreciation and knowledge of the world outside the USA is lacking. At the same time, there are parts of America I know very little about as well...

I had the pleasure of living in Ontario from 1996 to 1999. During those years I learned a bit more about Canada.

I'm actually fairly familiar with Nova Scotia. I just like the sea, ferry boats, gullls, etc., and am aware of an excellent line that runs between Maine and Nova Scotia. I've been land locked most of my life, so I'm a little more excited about a boat ride than some of you whalers and fishermen.:)

Not having travelled between the two myself, I was curious to know if you can save any time or money from NS to Maine by the ferry.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Looks like we got a live one here, guys - better handle him with kid gloves...

Please don't think that by living in Ontario (especially southern Ontario) that you know anything about Canada.

In Nova Scotia, we live by the ocean - not the sea.

Nobody here calls them "gullls" Sh!t Hawks is the accepted term.

The ferrys that run between NS and the US are very expensive and are mostly in place to allow US tourists quicker access to our scallops and lobsters.

Other than that, no, we wouldn't save money taking the ferry!
;)

Rob - being bombarded with "Canadian, eh?" questions in Orlando... and lovin' it!

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
Rob_MacCara said:
Looks like we got a live one here, guys - better handle him with kid gloves...

Please don't think that by living in Ontario (especially southern Ontario) that you know anything about Canada.

In Nova Scotia, we live by the ocean - not the sea.

Nobody here calls them "gullls" Sh!t Hawks is the accepted term.

The ferrys that run between NS and the US are very expensive and are mostly in place to allow US tourists quicker access to our scallops and lobsters.

Other than that, no, we wouldn't save money taking the ferry!
;)

Rob - being bombarded with "Canadian, eh?" questions in Orlando... and lovin' it!

Your thoughts are interesting. Quite different from what I've heard and seen to this point.

Have a good trip to Philadelphia, if you end up going to the TDI Fest.

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Boy, Rob almost sounded defensive! Don't worry, we're not all like that! ;) The ferry is quite expensive and it really doesn't save a lot of time as it only makes the trip once a day. I've taken it a few times in the past, and may be taking it to Boston in the Fall, but I would guess, because of money and the fun factor involved with driving the "Airline" Rt between Calais and Bar Harbor, the guys will more than likely opt for the long route.

It is nice to return to Halifax after a trip inland. The smell of the salt air hits you right away. I love being near the ocean... $hithawks and all! :D

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
So it's official, I have permission to attend TDI Fest! How I'm going to get there not sure yet, and who I might room with is still not 100% determined, but I am 99% sure I'll be going. Still looking to see if there are cheaper accomodations (camping etc) near by the fest location. I did see an over pass or two, but I don't know if the suspension in my car would handle the amount of canned beans I'd be taking if I went that route :D

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I was just about to say we could talk about sharing the driving/rooming, but now things are smelling not too rosy! ;)

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Hehehe, if my cousin does not want to attend/can't I'll definately want to drive with, or behind the localish guys that are going that way, my spider sense is not so great. Rooming wouldn't be a problem either (so long as there are two beds lol). I'll only know for certain as things progress a bit, but whent he registration page gets up I'll be signing up for sure even if I don't have a roomie as of yet or a confirmed plan.

Maybe I can convince my dad to come down with his trailer so I can have a free housing ;) he's only 780km away from the event :( (barely a tankful even with the trailer lol).

Bootre

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI, 2003, Indego Blue
My plans may be canceled for this even as I have a bigger event to attend sometime around August 20th. Also it looks like my new event will be sucking money out of me for at least 20 years... :D

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Bootre said:
My plans may be canceled for this even as I have a bigger event to attend sometime around August 20th. Also it looks like my new event will be sucking money out of me for at least 20 years... :D
Welcome to my island...

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Fyrman said:
Boy, Rob almost sounded defensive! Don't worry, we're not all like that! ;) <snip>

It is nice to return to Halifax after a trip inland. The smell of the salt air hits you right away. I love being near the ocean... $hithawks and all! :D
Man - the sun must have been baking my skull that day! I re-read my post and decided that it was actually my evil twin that wrote that bit! ;) I'm really not like that, either!!!

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Congrats Bootre! BTW, even though I am gone, married and will soon have two children of my own I still manage to get good deals on comptuer hardware through my dad! I'll never stop suckling off the preverbial teat!