Anyone replaced stock intake hoses with silicone on 2002 NB?

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
My intake hose right after the MAF sensor has developed a split and it is over 100 bucks at dealer, lol, so thought maybe some silicone hose in a bright color might brighten up the engine dept, lol. The sucker is about 13" loa attached but my son is gone so often I can't measure the ID yet. Also thinking of replacing the smallest one with the 90 degree bend and longer one closest to the fuel filter with less severe bend. I went to siliconehose.com but they need ID. They have the flex hose but if the solid will flex thought it might look a bit better?

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
If no answer by tonight I will be able to finally measure, will post results, welcome to the "I Want To Know This" Club, lol.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, Bob, that is what I am going to do. I just needed OD for the hose connections, and just as I am typing this I realize I may have to pull the hoses again in the morning because I don't know for SURE that the opposite ends of the hoses are the same as the ends I measured, dangit (laughing)

Anyway, I put msmts on the images. The two ends about which I am not sure are the far end of the hose off the airbox and the small elbow into the intake. Too sleepy to do it now, lol.

So...need

1) 13" hose that will fit over 2.75 inlet/outlets from airbox, possibly convoluted if smooth type won't bend much
2) 11.5" loa with slighter bend...(45 degrees?) smooth hose to fit over 2" inlets
3) 90 degree elbow with 1.75-2" straight on each side smooth hose before bend.

Unsure if oem clamps will hold silicone so inquire about new clamps.

There may be some pieces down by turbo, will look tomorrow.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Dangit my son left before I could get to the car, lol

Can anyone confirm the hose inlet/outlets are the same OD on both ends of the small elbow and airbox hose as the ones I measured and I don't need to worry about reducers, etc?

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Change subject a bit about the elbow

The small 90 degree elbow on my car seems to be kind of cramped and actually has a small crease that looks like it may restrict the airflow some. I have heard these restrictions need to be removed to allow smoother flow. What do people do with this elbow, do they try to use a 45 degree and change the oem location of the tubes? I do have a little extra room but it seems I would need to shorten the longer hose to allow me to lengthen the elbow so a 45 would fit there. (scratching head). Wonder if anyone just does away with the hard tube and uses all silicone through there or would that cause some problems with pressure?

Well upon looking some more may not have to change the longer hose, might flex ok without issue with a 45 elbow.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
OK both the elbow and the airbox hose are the same ID on both ends so I am going to send this info to siliconehose.com.