Anyone put a hitch on MK7 SW?

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 6spd conversion. 2001 Jetta, Alh, wife's car.
I would like to drag around my aluminum utility trailer like I did with my MK4&5. I would like to find a hitch that does not require cutting the facia. I'm hoping someone has been down this road and is willing to share their experience. This car is all there, with no modifications and I'm not anxious to start molesting it, I mean modifying it.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
We have Ecohitch hidden hitches on both MK7's, but my priority was how the hitch attaches to the frame, and not having it hang down low. The lower rear valance on the Mk7 already has a factory cut-out, so two extending it 2 more in. wasn't a concern. The Curt options are much cheaper, though.

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
We have Ecohitch hidden hitches on both MK7's, but my priority was how the hitch attaches to the frame, and not having it hang down low. The lower rear valance on the Mk7 already has a factory cut-out, so two extending it 2 more in. wasn't a concern. The Curt options are much cheaper, though.
Are you saying there is a difference in height as in receiver to ground dimension? Looking at the pic on Etrailer they look pretty similar. I do realize the difference in receiver size, but my loads are not that great. Thanks for your input.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you saying there is a difference in height as in receiver to ground dimension? Looking at the pic on Etrailer they look pretty similar. I do realize the difference in receiver size, but my loads are not that great. Thanks for your input.
I can't speak to the differences between all the options, but yes, when I went with Ecohitch, the other options were the style that were below the rear bumper cover fascia- no cutting, but also lower to the ground, and wouldn't work as well with my driveway. Some of those options also required drilling, or were class I hitches, and I preferred the 2,000lb GTW and higher tongue weight from Torklift. If the shipping had been better, I would have Bosal or Westy, since those use the frame rails, but it was too $ to ship from Europe. If I was choosing now, I'd look at the StealthHitch, as those have a removable receiver like the Bosal/Westy, but you could get 4 Curt hitches for the price of 1 StealthHitch. Just too pricey. I also preferred how the Ecohitch incorporates the original curved metal bumper, whereas with many of the other designs the OE bumper isn't used. The Curt is a far better price, though.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The Curt hitch receiver basically bolts under the the crash bar, so it's attached to the frame rails; it's a much better / stronger hitch solution than the Mk4 that bolted in / through body pan sheet metal.

As for wiring, with the Mk7 GSW, get the Tekonsha 118646; it's for the non-wagon Golf so you have to move a couple wires to make it happy with the GSW, but that's pretty easy.

More details in this thread: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...i-trailer-wiring-harness-installation.446936/

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
As for wiring, with the Mk7 GSW, get the Tekonsha 118646; it's for the non-wagon Golf so you have to move a couple wires to make it happy with the GSW, but that's pretty easy.
No need to move any wires if you use the CURT 56360 which simply plugs in between your rear wiring harness' existing plugs and sockets. As for the hitch, the Ecohitch 306-X7315 provides a 2" receiver and doesn't rob you of ground clearance. I have both on my 2015 GSW.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good point - I'd forgotten about the Curt.
Here's my "after the moved wires on the Tekonsha:

And the Curt setup from their website:

Checks out. ✅

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
But what about this? I haven't towed anything since moving after college, but maybe I'll do it since I have a (still unused) hitch on my Golf.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
plug and play plus coding, all possible if you have time and efforts.

You can also install a euro tow bar made by westfaila if you really want to tow and have a true hidden hitch. Sadly your then limited to a 2" ball (well 50mm but close enough). Ask me how I know ;)

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm making progress but not quite there yet. The Curt 11422 went right on with no cutting as per Golfsw98 stated above. I found removing the black trim from the bottom of the rear facia helped with getting the hitch through the window. I also installed one 8mm stud on each side to help hold the hitch and bumper in place while I got the bolts going. I didn't use the standard bolts and washers that came with the hitch as they looked like they came from ACE hardware. The original bolts are too short but, thanks to saving every single metric bolt that came through my garage in the last 40 years, I was able to find longer bolts with a "washered" head. Now the not so good news, I tried to find the Curt taillight module 56360 as suggested by Nathanso above but, quickly realized Curt had discontinued this part. I called a bunch of dealers, and nobody had one in stock. I went to E-Trailer looking for a Curt harness and the only thing they had was for the Alltrack which is 56391. Thier site states that the fit for a Golf SW had not been verified. I called Curt mfg and they gave me a number 59236 and assured me this would fit. I purchased it, it said Alltrack on the package but I installed anyway only to find that I was only getting 8 volts to the running lights on the trailer side. A lot of time went into routing the wires and finding a location etc. So, exasperated I called Curt mfg again and now the tell me 56391 will not work on Golf SW. They said I need to order 59236 which is a hardwire installation. I've reordered the harness #59236 and I'm optimistic this will do it. We'll see.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wait wait. you're concerned with 8v for running light? What'd you see for voltage when brakes are pressed?

trailer lights usually have low and high voltage on the same bulb, how else are you getting all that functionality out of 4 pins plus ground?

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
Battery voltage, at the time 11.8 Volts. Note: This is voltage measured at the OEM pigtail, before the trailer module. I could be mistaken, and I'll gladly recheck. I didn't look at this to serious, I was more concerned with voltage on the trailer side of the module and once Curt verified that I had the wrong module I pulled up stakes.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Note that there's a controller (BCM) that sits between power (battery) and any accessory. And those things "talk" to each other. If the BCM doesn't see resistance (in this case, a bulb) in the circuit, it cuts power (some or all - I don't know). And like @740GLE says, reduced power at the tail light is not necessarily unexpected, given the dimmed state of a taillight.

From what I could tell, the functionality (both how and what) between different car models was the same - it was just the connectors and arrangement at the rear taillight assemblies that were different, thus requiring different harnesses to be as close to plug&play as they could make it (they still all require a +12V source to power the lighting module, so it'll never be simply P&P like the old Mk4).

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
Note that there's a controller (BCM) that sits between power (battery) and any accessory. And those things "talk" to each other. If the BCM doesn't see resistance (in this case, a bulb) in the circuit, it cuts power (some or all - I don't know). And like @740GLE says, reduced power at the tail light is not necessarily unexpected, given the dimmed state of a taillight.

From what I could tell, the functionality (both how and what) between different car models was the same - it was just the connectors and arrangement at the rear taillight assemblies that were different, thus requiring different harnesses to be as close to plug&play as they could make it (they still all require a +12V source to power the lighting module, so it'll never be simply P&P like the old Mk4).
I kind of forgot about a load on it, I still have the original module I think I'll reinstall it and give another try. Thanks for jogging my memory. BINGO!, I reinstalled the module, found some magnetic trailer lights and everything worked. So the Curt 56360 module works (P&P) in my 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL, even though the E-Trailer website states that fitment has not been verified for the Sportwagon and Curt has stated that this is not the correct harness. I've received conflicting information from Curt mfg., thanks again Nuje

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glad we could help ;)

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So the Curt 56360 module works (P&P) in my 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL, even though the E-Trailer website states that fitment has not been verified for the Sportwagon and Curt has stated that this is not the correct harness.
56360? I couldn't tell from post #12 if you found the discontinued part, used 59236, or used 56391.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I have the 2" Ecohitch on mine, and for wiring I used the Tekonsha kit that attaches over vehicle wires and goes by "pulse", no damage to vehicle wiring. For power I bought a 12v cigarette lighter plug so I could use the outlet that is in right rear of trunk area. Working fine for over 2 years now...

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What's the number on that Tekonsha "pulse" kit?
Thinking of getting that for my wife's MQB Audi A3...so that it'd be a quick install if we ever decide / need it on that car.