Anyone mess with Nitrous Oxide on their TDI???

Nitrous Oxide on a TDI

• Total voters

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
As the title states, has anyone messed with running nitrous oxide on their TDI? In the diesel truck world it gets used a lot and diesel engines really seem to like nitrous oxide a lot. I am thinking about running it on my '06. Anyone have any experience with it? I know that NX makes a small displacement diesel kit that is marketed at the TDIs and they also have a really nice progressive controller that would really be sweet, but its kinda spendy. I was thinking that a 50-shot of n2o would be nice!:D

What are your thoughts?

Bdpprocessors

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 jetta tdi 5 speed
From what i understand. Too much n20 on a diesel will just put the flame out. Ive heard of the truck guys. Upptng the stot size until it slows them down and then taking a step back from there.

Ofcourse if your car is currently smoke free you will only see a small gain if anything.

Your engine internals must also be up to the task of handling more power. (50 -75 shot shouldnt cause any issues on a stock bottom end)

Basically think of nitrous as a cheap , lagless,and very cold boost .

Use with caution.

antgti

TDI
mk3 golf TDI
i've it fitted on my 1z... works well i find ... its good because when you turn it off economy is back to normal... i use it in conjunction with en EVRY, with both gas and evry my 1/4 time went from 18.1 down to a 16.7 and i couldnt get any grip at all on the 16 second run ... only thing is now ive got the bug and wanna go faster !!

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Going to try further reduced timing and larger N20 nozzle soon

Those readings were with fairly small turbo..
Bigger turbo and nozzles should help put the numbers where they need to be :)

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
I and another member once ghetto fogged our ALH Golfs on a dyno that netted out to be a gain of ~60 WHP. At the time, my car was mildly modded (VNT17, .216, Mild tune) and his was heavily modded running RC5 (I think) and both times we saw an approximate +60WHP. Keep in mind that this was a highly inaccurate NOS shot.

Here are my dyno results:

Last edited:

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Yep...that's right.
I should add that I don't recommend doing this. The semi uncontrolled spray lends itself to the possibility of motor damage...but it's fun to get the dyno results :)
yes, but for 60 additional ponies motor damage is just part of the equation. You should change your signature BTW since you are running different wheels on the Golf! :)

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
yes, but for 60 additional ponies motor damage is just part of the equation. You should change your signature BTW since you are running different wheels on the Golf! :)
Ha...good point.

And you are correct. Those Santa Monicas are property of NewTdi now. As much as i love my OZs, I do miss the OEM look...

Anyhow, I didn't mean to detract this thread.

Is NOS cheating? Is it not just another power mod? Don't get me wrong, I too have contemplated this, but the reality is the technology is there for any of us to use if that's what you want to do like a big turbo or big hole nozzles or whatever...

MoldovaDIZEL

Vendor
TDI
mk4 TDI, 98 Cabrio AAZ
what about propane? anyone play with that? i know they do a lot with tdi's in europe! and recieve grea tresults as well as rediculous fuel eco. 2-3l / 100km

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Nos is a catalyst (oxidiser) and propane is a fuel. Both can cause damage if missused. The Nos will clean smoke by offering a leaner mix where propane enriches the mix. The propane is used mainly on trucks/lorries as it's tax free fuel and used wisely will increase Mpg on a thirsty 6-8 L truck engine.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Motor damage is not always part of the equation!

You can have substantial gains without damage if you have sufficient fueling, correct timing to match, and PWM solenoid helps too ;)

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I use nitrous for special occasions. I have never seen gains of 60whp though! This could be because my car is highly tuned anyway so nitrous can't push for much more due to some other limitation in my setup.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
I use nitrous for special occasions. I have never seen gains of 60whp though! This could be because my car is highly tuned anyway so nitrous can't push for much more due to some other limitation in my setup.
You need more fuel to go with the gas. That's the limiting factor :p

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
What is this mate ? is it basically running the gas as a wet system ? (i.e adding more fuel aswel )
Cheers
No it lets you program solenoid activation with laptop to gradually increase the flow (pulse width modulation)
Less stress on internals when running larger jets :D

Most of the systems on these cars are dry injection AFAIK
Extra fuel is done with software

antgti

TDI
mk3 golf TDI
No it lets you program solenoid activation with laptop to gradually increase the flow (pulse width modulation)
Less stress on internals when running larger jets :D
Most of the systems on these cars are dry injection AFAIK
Extra fuel is done with software
Sounds interesting mate , i might have to look into one of those ... are they dear ? who makes them ?

:D:D