Anyone know this genius?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
This thread is nothing but an s show. It should be locked or deleted. No reason for it at all other than arguments and hate

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
No way man, these little arguments are entertaining. Why are you always crying for threads to be locked anyhow?

OP, we had no idea we were talking too motorsport royalty- that changes everything. Shake and bake, baby.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
"The Tail of the Dragon is only 11 miles long and the following facts pertain only to those 11 miles. There are more motorcycle deaths on other roads in Blount County Tennessee than there are on the Dragon each year."

2020 - Two deaths as of Sept. 24: June 4 mm 5.3. Aug 19, 44 yr old AL woman flipped trike at mm 4.3 northbound.
2019 - Two deaths: Aug 10 - 70 year old crashed Slingshot at 1.9. Dec 19 - 79 yr old died Dec 21 after 2 car head-on crash at 8.0.
2018 - Three (Two*) deaths: Oct 5 GA cruiser rider off road, but death was a result of a medical emergency, not the accident.* Oct 8 at 7.0 a 70 year-old north bound rider crossed center line striking two cars. Oct 25 at 8.0 a 73 year-old GA cruiser rider southbound off road.
2017 - Four deaths: Two deaths in single car accident at 1.5. One motorcycle rider at Tabcat Bridge parking area. One sportbike rider at 8.2 (found three days after wreck). NOTE: The parking area death actually occurred while the rider was stopped. He fell over the side of an embankment and the bike rolled over him.
2016 - Four deaths: South bound trike off bank at 10.2 killing 90 year old male passenger. North bound trike at 9.1. North bound sportbike at 9.2. Southbound cruiser at 4.3 (found next day). Trike near Cheoah Dam NOT ON DRAGON.
2015 - One death: June 20 Sportbike hit tree at 1.0.
2014 - Three deaths: May 19 sportbike vs car at 10.8. May 28 trike into bank at 2.9. Sept 21 sportbike hit tree at 5.0.
2013 - Two deaths: August 3 sportbike off road at 9.2. Car off road 12/19 at 1.9.
2012 - Four deaths: June 6 cruiser off road at mm 3.5 (possible heart attack). June 16 Cruiser off road at mm 8.0. Sept 28 motard off road at 7.2. Oct 22 female cruiser rider off at 4.0.
2011 - One death: August 3 Tennessee sportbike rider run over by 18 wheeler at mm 5.
2010 - One death: August 28 South bound sportbike rider off road and hit tree. Another death at Wheelie Hell in August technically not on Dragon.
2009 - Five deaths: HD rider from Miami went off road, reason unknown (possible heart attack). Friends and LEOs searched several hour before finding body. A female HD rider died at mm 5.0 when she went off the road. Another female died a month later in the same area. A 66 year old Goldwing rider died near mm 8. A 49 year old died two months after crashing at the Hump.
2008 - Four deaths: One sportbike went off road and hit tree near Thunder Road Bend. One cruiser went off road in Ron's Run with rider suffering heart attack. One trike went off road and struck tree. One sportbike death in head-on near Parsons Branch.
2007 - Three deaths: One low side at Guardrail Cliff. Trike versus a vehicle near the Wall claimed the lives of an older rider and his passenger. Both accidents in July.
2006 - Two deaths: One rider went off road and hit tree another low sided into an oncoming vehicle.
2005 - Three deaths: All three deaths involved failing to negociate corners - two went off the mountain and one slid into an oncoming vehicle.
2004 - Two deaths: Both deaths apparently caused by speed and then overbraking.
2003 - No deaths: There were several deaths in the surrounding area of the Dragon, but none that we know of on the 11 miles of the Dragon itself.
2002 - Two deaths: On June 16 a 29 year-old Dale Bently a Valkyrie rider from Michigan died on the Dragon. The rider was passing a car near the Horns of the Dragon when he wrecked and suffered fatal head injuries. The second death occurred on Sunday August 4 when Lendry R. Obanna Jr., 24, of Jacksonville, Florida, lost control of his 2000 Yamaha R6.
2001 - Two deaths: The entire Blount County (home of the Dragon) saw a total of four motorycle fatalities in 2001. The total includes the deaths of a 27-year-old Knoxville man who died March 10 in a collision on Old Knoxville Highway in Rockford, the May 5th death on the Dragon, the July 5th death of a 43-year-old Maryville man in an accident on Happy Valley Road, and the October 27th death on the Dragon.
2000 - One death: Blount County had four motorcycle deaths in 2000 including one fatality on the Dragon.
1999 - One death: Only one motorcycle death in 1999
1998 - No deaths: No fatal motorcycle crashes in 1998.
1997 - One death: A single motorcycle fatality is listed in 1997.
1996 - One death: A single motorcycle fatality in 1996.
1995 - Two deaths: In 1995, two men died in separate July 3 motorcycle crashes on the Dragon during the holiday weekend.

Disagreements and forum antics aside @MATPOC what do you ride?

Last edited:

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Since this thread keeps floating to the top, I took another peek at the OP. By cutting the corner where she did, she gained better visibility around the next corner, which looks truly blind. She also gave herself a better chance of taking that 2nd corner at a better angle, with less risk of overshooting the double yellow.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
2017 - Four deaths: Two deaths in single car accident at 1.5
That ^ was someone I knew, car driver, not his passenger

Disagreements and forum antics aside @MATPOC what do you ride?
I have an Alphabet of bikes, got pretty much everything but the Harley... Currently about 10 bikes on the road, plated and insured.
Mostly sporty stuff, but nothing Hypersport, or cruiser type. Obscure stuff like Aprilia and Buell, Husqvarna (enduro) 2 stroke KTM road registered woods bike... BMW R1100S is as 'old man' as I'm willing to go at the moment.
Club racing 20+ year old SV650, cheap and fun and fast enough to win in it's class. Not taking it too seriously since I'm self employed and can't afford to get hurt, just blowing off steam on weekends. When I started in 1999 I 'was win it or bin it' but ended up with too many injuries so I had to take a brake and relax a bit.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Granny is so out of it, she doesn't even realize that she missed the apex.
Post number 65 proves granny knows what she’s doing.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Post number 65 proves granny knows what she’s doing.
Technically, no one here (with the exception of
) really knows what the deal is.... we can't see enough of the corner, we don't know enough details on the conditions\situation\variables, etc...... we are just pretending to be subject matter experts to entertain ourselves while taking shots at each other..... and while upsetting snowflakes in the process.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
In my case it’s secondhand info, because granny told me and she was there so Phhhttttt!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You saw the picture

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
I have an Alphabet of bikes, got pretty much everything but the Harley... Currently about 10 bikes on the road, plated and insured.
Mostly sporty stuff, but nothing Hypersport, or cruiser type. Obscure stuff like Aprilia and Buell, Husqvarna (enduro) 2 stroke KTM road registered woods bike... BMW R1100S is as 'old man' as I'm willing to go at the moment.
Club racing 20+ year old SV650, cheap and fun and fast enough to win in it's class. Not taking it too seriously since I'm self employed and can't afford to get hurt, just blowing off steam on weekends. When I started in 1999 I 'was win it or bin it' but ended up with too many injuries so I had to take a brake and relax a bit.
Sounds like a healthy dose of two wheeling fun. Just be safe out there, and a sporty bike on roads such as those is the way to go. Especially if you are planning to stay in lane, allowing you to switch up quick enough in the event you run into granny.

I took a spill once on a friend's bike that he had just purchased used. Braked a bit harder to a fullstop but nothing unusual (checking front brakes/suspension on first time riding cbr) and sure enough the front end just twisted on me. Turns out right after they purchased it they realized the forks were bent. And these numbnuts handed me the keys while there was 4am dew on the floor 😅

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The guy just passed a cyclist... In Maryland it is legal to cross a double line to pass a cyclist.:cool:

...the cyclist took the picture.
In NC, you are required to give a cyclist 4 feet if you're in a no passing zone. I've had people pass me with less than 6 inches between my handle bars and their mirror.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Sounds like a healthy dose of two wheeling fun. Just be safe out there, and a sporty bike on roads such as those is the way to go. Especially if you are planning to stay in lane, allowing you to switch up quick enough in the event you run into granny.
I had to change my riding habits just for that road because even when you stay on your side of the line your body almost entirely hangs over the line and in to oncoming lane, so after a healthy dose of ribbing by locals I have adopted a 'local line' which is a wide entry and staying wide in the left hand turns. Still can't keep up with those dudes but I'm enjoying my time down there and even brought my kid last summer. We took a road trip to FL to visit Gramps, camping on the way down, hiking and doing all kinds of fun stuff, after I asked him what was the favorite part of the trip, he said THIS
*Note how wide I am at the apex of that very same type of corner

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'm looking forward to driving that road next week... I had planned to last year, but the car broke down in the other banks, and I had to buy an SUV to tow it back home, and there was no way I was going to drive that on the tail...

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Wait....... what? How many wheels is the genius on?
Nothing like taking a 7 year old for a blast on one of the deadliest roads....

I would like to nominate you for parent of the year!

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
I'm looking forward to driving that road next week... I had planned to last year, but the car broke down in the other banks, and I had to buy an SUV to tow it back home, and there was no way I was going to drive that on the tail...
I'm going in 3 weeks, staying in Fontana for 5 days
taking that C30 (profile pic) bike is already down there in storage, but I'm gonna focus more on hiking than riding/driving cause I've literally been down every road within 100 miles of Deals Gap, but there is so much more than just curves... We went twice last year, on the way down and then again on the way back from FL, camped in Cades Cove, took bicycles in to the park before road opened, pedaled 11 mile loop and saw a bunch of wild life, something do don't see when you drive through.
Here's one of the photos I took

Wait....... what? How many wheels is the genius on?
Nothing like taking a 7 year old for a blast on one of the deadliest roads....

I would like to nominate you for parent of the year!

He is 12, I know the risks, full safety gear, off-peak etc...

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
@Mozambiquer if you down there during peak hours and traffic is heavy find a good spot to park (pull off near Gravity Cavity, entrance of Parson's Branch or similar) and just watch the show... I make my runs only when traffic is low, otherwise it's a torture. Sometimes it's dead on Sunday at high noon, sometimes Monday, but usually towards the weekend it's a $hit$how

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
@Mozambiquer if you down there during peak hours and traffic is heavy find a good spot to park (pull off near Gravity Cavity, entrance of Parson's Branch or similar) and just watch the show... I make my runs only when traffic is low, otherwise it's a torture. Sometimes it's dead on Sunday at high noon, sometimes Monday, but usually towards the weekend it's a $hit$how
Good to know. I'll be going through there Tuesday, hoping for less traffic. I'll also be in my passat wagon, not much of a sports car, but I think it'll be fun.
A friend took it at night on accident once... In a junky old plymouth with awful headlights at that. It wasn't until they were talking to some bikers the next day that they realized it was the tail of the dragon. (Gps sent them that way) the guy driving had his wife in the passenger seat with the gps telling him how steep the next curve was. They couldn't see the drops, since it was dark...

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
If you have time take a drive on Foothills Parkway, especially new section that ends in Wears Valley, it's very scenic, less crazy.
rt 441 through Newfound Gap, Clingmans Dome, Cherohala... all those are beautiful driving roads, and you can connect them.
If you are coming down from MD get onBlue Ridge parkway, it starts in Waynesboro VA and goes on for 469 miles, no traffic lights or stop signs, just curves, past Mt. Mitchel which is the tallest peak easy of Mississippi, it may be closed in places so check the website. I managed to do the whole thing in a day (11 hours) and it was a blast
It ends at 441 near Cherokee, so if you go right on 441 to Gatlingburg it's a very scenic road, on top of the gap there is a side road that takes you to Clingmans Dome (2nd tallest) then before 441 get in to town take a left towards camp grounds and take Little River road, then take Wears valley road to Foothills parkway, to 129, then left, over Deals Gap, continue to 143 and take a right on Charohala... might take few days but you will not regret it

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
I had to change my riding habits just for that road because even when you stay on your side of the line your body almost entirely hangs over the line and in to oncoming lane, so after a healthy dose of ribbing by locals I have adopted a 'local line' which is a wide entry and staying wide in the left hand turns. Still can't keep up with those dudes but I'm enjoying my time down there and even brought my kid last summer. We took a road trip to FL to visit Gramps, camping on the way down, hiking and doing all kinds of fun stuff, after I asked him what was the favorite part of the trip, he said THIS
*Note how wide I am at the apex of that very same type of corner

I used the take the same type of trips with my uncle and even tried to ride his bike at that age. However for myself today, understanding the advancements in vehicle crash-ability, unfocused texters, and a boom in ubers with the most novice of drivers, I forbid myself to ride on the local streets. I knew too many riders who either lost there legs or their lives to no fault of their own. For myself it's either track days or sad face.

Closest thing to the gap we have here is Bear Mountain. Much easier to knee'it or top out a bike there since it is less congested.

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, what stopped me from riding was a girl I met from Ruff Ryders crew some time back. And she introduced me to some of the known riders and all, but for the two months we went out, every weekend she had a funeral to attend. I owned a 750srad back then. Told myself, uh uh 😶

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
In NC, you are required to give a cyclist 4 feet if you're in a no passing zone. I've had people pass me with less than 6 inches between my handle bars and their mirror.
In md. Your required to yield a full lane to bikers
Bikers suc and need to stay off roads

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
I used the take the same type of trips with my uncle and even tried to ride his bike at that age. However for myself today, understanding the advancements in vehicle crash-ability, unfocused texters, and a boom in ubers with the most novice of drivers, I forbid myself to ride on the local streets. I knew too many riders who either lost there legs or their lives to no fault of their own. For myself it's either track days or sad face.

Closest thing to the gap we have here is Bear Mountain. Much easier to knee'it or top out a bike there since it is less congested.

EDIT: actually now that I think about it, what stopped me from riding was a girl I met from Ruff Ryders crew some time back. And she introduced me to some of the known riders and all, but for the two months we went out, every weekend she had a funeral to attend. I owned a 750srad back then. Told myself, uh uh 😶
I know Bear Mtn well, been there dozen time and Rt.9 on east Bank of the river, but always traffic and I hate how bikes are treated in NYC, so I avoid the City on 2 wheels. I often take Saw Mill and Henry Hudson on the way to GW Bridge, that is probably one of my favorite driving roads, love The Cloisters... but only on 4 wheels

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
I'm an avid cyclist, a lot of problems with bikes are morons who can't use common sense to get around us. Following a bicycle up hill at 10 mph because you're an idiot does not do any good, it pisse$ off cagers who are stuck behind and makes me nervous because once they finally pass me they might takes that anger out on me. I personally need 12" for comfort, don't want to be getting nailed by mirrors, but i don't need 4'
All those rules come as an aftermath of cycling accidents where cyclists get killed being struck by mirrors...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I was going to let it slide but bikes have as much right to the road as your car. If you can't handle driving around bikes, then you need to stay home.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Just gotta say, this was an entertaining read! Did I learn much of anything? no, but it was fun anyways.
I probably shouldn't mention my kind of driving because I like to think I'm somewhere between a drifter and a drag racer 😁 . Taking 45mph corners at 75-80 is a great time!

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Remember OP dropped his bike because he was "trying-too-hard" but as long as you own it, you're good 🤭