Anyone know this genius?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Yes, that’s my Grandmother. She has dementia and thinks she’s over in Europe

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Lot's of morons on that road, I go there to ride motorcycles so I'm especially concerned with this kind of behavior, don't want to get killed.
I'm actually heading down in May, gonna drive my pocket rocket (C30 my profile pic) and I have a bike stored there in Maryville. Was supposed to be going back and fourth all last year but COVID had other ideas, went once with my kid "passing though" on the way to FL

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
While I think it is a dumb photo due to crossing the double yellow, for all we know the road was closed or it was some sanctioned local club event or something. But I agree even if that was the case, out of context it still gives a bad impression. And with his license plate clearly displayed, too. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
What I want to know is how much extra cornering grip he gets from the addition of the safari rack.... I knew I should've done more to my Jetta than just lower it.... now I know where I went wrong!

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
@MATPOC
As a fellow rider, I can certainly "hear you", but at the same time, with all the known publicity and tragedies the Dragon has, I'm not sure why you are at all surprised to see such evidence..... anyone riding the dragon knows very well what kind of risks they are taking in order to have that checked off your epic ride list.....

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
The guy just passed a cyclist... In Maryland it is legal to cross a double line to pass a cyclist.:cool:

...the cyclist took the picture.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Why does everybody keep calling my grandmother a guy

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Must be the other one, she hasn’t had sex with pans in years

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
While I think it is a dumb photo due to crossing the double yellow, for all we know the road was closed or it was some sanctioned local club event or something. But I agree even if that was the case, out of context it still gives a bad impression. And with his license plate clearly displayed, too. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.
It is not out of context, it is EXACTLY what it looks like, a moron cutting corners and killboy took a photo then shared it with big red X, like they always do with this kind of behavior

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
@MATPOC
As a fellow rider, I can certainly "hear you", but at the same time, with all the known publicity and tragedies the Dragon has, I'm not sure why you are at all surprised to see such evidence..... anyone riding the dragon knows very well what kind of risks they are taking in order to have that checked off your epic ride list.....
I usually ride off-peak hours, even pedaled it on a bike, hit 46mph! that is faster than a Harley 🤣
I know the risks, by sharing those photos I'm hoping to minimize them for the future

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know the risks, by sharing those photos I'm hoping to minimize them for the future
I hope you do..... I myself can't even consider the ride when I see all the pics of clowns (even with trailers in tow) and "pros" running around there!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
MATPOC, so you were there and you know for sure the road was open to the public when that [dumb] photo was taken then. Sorry, I thought you just saw the picture on the internet. I apologize. Yeah, that's dumb to do that.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think he's just trying to conserve fuel by taking the straightest line.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
MATPOC, so you were there and you know for sure the road was open to the public when that [dumb] photo was taken then. Sorry, I thought you just saw the picture on the internet. I apologize. Yeah, that's dumb to do that.
I wasn't there that day but I know Killboy crew, this was taken and shared with a hope that maybe someone knows this driver and will have a "talk". There are many car clubs that come to The Hill and usually car like this is easy to spot, someone knows someone who knows this guy, happens with Miatas, Mustangs etc, they post on their forum and shame the person and hope it never happens again.
Making better drivers one at a time...

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
...was taken and shared with a hope that maybe someone knows this driver and will have a "talk".
Yes, we need to police the internet and shame/"talk to" people who we perceive as behaving badly. Tsk tsk.

If I was driving a fun curvy road and came up on that curve I may do the same move. Looks like pretty good visibility to cross for a second or two. In the world of risk taking, this seems pretty low risk to get bent out of shape about.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Yes, we need to police the internet and shame/"talk to" people who we perceive as behaving badly. Tsk tsk.

If I was driving a fun curvy road and came up on that curve I may do the same move. Looks like pretty good visibility to cross for a second or two. In the world of risk taking, this seems pretty low risk to get bent out of shape about.
Do you know that it's more fun when you stay in your lane? Why? because it makes the curve tighter, if you want to straighten that corner might as well just go straight... get on a highway! There is absolutely no reason to cut this corner because you are not competing and saving milliseconds could kill someone. You may be able to react and get back in your lane but a novice motorcycle rider heading the other way will panic and go sailing off the cliff, meanwhile you are long gone and don't even care that you might have just killed someone...

I know that corner, it's called Shade Tree (I think) long left going in to a blind right, one moment it's clear and you gat a motorcycle on your hood the next, trust me, it happens quick, few seconds between the time you see someone and hit them, often not enough to react. People who THINK they see an open corner usually the ones causing accidents.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't say it was risk free, just low risk. I just think it's silly getting bent out of shape judging a picture on the internet. But maybe I'm just getting old. I guess I have a hard time putting myself in the judgement seat when I've done my share of stupid things in the past. To each his own.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
I may have thought otherwise living in the flats, waxing philosophical about risk levels and so on...
but I go there few time a year I know The Dragon well, also many other fun roads in the area and is not a place to cut corners, THE END.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry master. Forgive me master.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Sorry master. Forgive me master.
It's insensitive to call people master now. Other than that, looks to me like the OP driver had clear visibility of the left side of that curve. If it's such a problem, someone should call the cops to stakeout that corner instead of virtue-posting on the internet where no one can do anything about it.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
It's insensitive to call people master now. Other than that, looks to me like the OP driver had clear visibility of the left side of that curve. If it's such a problem, someone should call the cops to stakeout that corner instead of virtue-posting on the internet where no one can do anything about it.
You know that road? Clearly not... that is a left followed by a sharp blind right, split second and you are head on to another vehicle.

Cops are all over that road, which is called Deal Gap, aka The Dragon, 318 corners (mostly blind) in 11 miles, yeah, maybe you heard of it?
No run off, no shoulder, DAILY accidents, some deadly, many because efinng morons think they have Superman vision and can see through solid rock... This road gets VERY busy, crossing a double yellow is a firm NO in most cases, but on that road is literally deadly offense.

I can't believe that simple things like that should be explained, you don't cross double yellow, same as you don't run red lights, especially to cut a meaningless seconds of your trip.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
red arrow marks the spot where this photo was taken, top of picture is hill, bottom is steep drop, some cars or bikes have gone down more than 100'