Anyone know how to prime IP on BRM?

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
After a week of good progress (TB change, rear rotor and pad replacement etc.) I decided to do the diesel purge thing.

Half way through the can bubbles started to appear in the little clear filter I was using and the engine started to jump so I turned it off and now I can't get it started again.

I can pull fuel from the return so I'm not quite sure what to try. It isn't exactly like you can crack the injectors to bleed them or if you can I don't know how. Haven't found Bently to be much help.

Thanks!

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
Never mind ... I got it going. I pulled a bunch more fuel through the return until these big bubbles stopped coming out and and it lit the second try.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I was going to post..draw through the return line..plus use the fuel pump by cycling key..

They will run rough until you get the air out..But you already know that..

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Ip & Brm

Impossible to prime IP on BRM since it does not have an IP!:rolleyes: It does have a tandem fuel pump.:)

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, sorry I called it the wrong thing. Technically, it is a fuel pump and a vacuum pump. To quote Bentley:
"The 1.9L TDI engine uses a camshaft-driven fuel pump on the end of the cylinder head to move fuel to the supply line in the cylinder head. Combined with this fuel pump is a second pump supplying vacuum to power brake booster and other vehicle systems as needed. These two pumps are collectively known as the tandem pump."

I think my error was I just jammed the supply and return lines down into the can of Diesel Purge at the same depth. The return must have aerated the mix some (especially when reving) and the supply being right beside it happily sucked up the bubbles and hosed me up (pun intended).;)

I should of had the return dump at the TOP of the can. I need to make one of paramedic's DDD's!

Turning the key a few times is fine for a fuel filter change but no amount of turning the key was going to fix this.

Man, the BRM sure is harsh when it doesn't want to start ... engine jumps all over and the sound it makes ... almost sounds like it is detonating out of time or something. Hard to describe but I know I don't want that to happen again!

If you crank for more than 10sec. or so you are also greeted with a beeping oil lap indicator which after keeping up with the cam failure thread, made me panic and realize I probably just took 100,000 miles of the life of the cam :(.