Anyone Know A PD Injector Rebuilder In Ontario?

blazes9395

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I have an '06 TDI with 400k on it and the injectors are looking like they need to be either be replaced/rebuilt, or cleaned. Does anyone know of a reuilder in Ontario, or for that matter, does anyone have a good set (PD100, stock), they are will to part with?

Help with this would be great appreciated.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
There isnt anyone locally that can rebuild and balance PD nozzles - DriveByWire appears to be the closest option we have. That said he does a good job of it from what I have read and those that sent off their injectors during past group buys.

If you're looking for a used set, PM 3hone - i sold him my old set that he sent off to get upgraded and balanced and as such i believe his stock set is available for purchase.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I have an '06 TDI with 400k on it and the injectors are looking like they need to be either be replaced/rebuilt, or cleaned. Does anyone know of a reuilder in Ontario, or for that matter, does anyone have a good set (PD100, stock), they are will to part with?

Help with this would be great appreciated.
Have you tried Diesel Purge? Might help you

blazes9395

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
thanks Omega for the heads up with 3phone, we are in contact with each other. I tried diesel purge twice, it did help a lot, but still not good enough, I also get the occasional miss and hesitation, and you can feel the car has been sluggish for a long time now. The filter has been replaced. I have checked the the injector balance, two of them are off, with one being off almost +2.0

Last edited:

blazes9395

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I looked at it, checked for codes, it *looks* alright. The car hesitates very intermittently and usually only at around 1600-2000rpm, and usually at light load. Anotehr thing I recently noticed is that in 2nd gear, it will be sluggish and miss/ fumble, but after 2000 rpm it will take off like a rocket. In general though it feels weak overall. The reason why I am leaning injectors is because as soon as I ran a cleaner through the injectors it did make a big difference.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
You should log the MAF with Vag-com to make sure it is reading properly. If it is under reporting the amount of air passing over it, the ECU will cut fuel to compensate for the low air reading. Low power on a TDI is very commonly caused by a bad MAF. The older (MKIV) cars were much more prone to MAF failure, but if yours is original at 400k, it is the first place I would look.

Last edited:

cooper426

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exc. 2001 Golf TDI
This looks very similar to what i am experiencing. I was thinking it was my cv axles vibrating under very light load, but after i changed both it did nothing to help.
I too have a hesitation in the lower rpm around 15-2000 rpm. The car seems to vibrate under load in the lower rpm. I changed all engine mounts,tires,diesel purge,filter.... I will check my injector deviation again (was .75high and -.5 low), and MAF sensor.

Keep us posted

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
when you guys do the diesel purge are you guys just pouring it in your fuel filter and diluting it it through the duration of your fuel tank? or do you pull the fuel lines and run it directly through the can?

There is a big difference between the two in effectiveness

Other things I've seen on PD's that cause intermittent power issues especially at low load is an EGR leak. The leak causes bad MAF readings and a result is choppy power output until the EGR duty cycle drops, that closes off the EGR which returns your MAF readings back to normal and power returns. Unfortunately those leaks tend to be a lot harder to find and troubleshoot.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I would also recommend to see if your EGR needs cleaning. After 400k km it probably needs a look at. I cleaned mine at 260k km and felt a difference in the lower rpm range regarding vibration under load. Vibration went away.

blazes9395

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Well, after some troubleshooting and reading on here, it looks like it is the MAF sensor afterall. Pulled EGR, took a look at it, everything looked alright, it wasn't to dirty at all, cleaned it up since I had it off. Threw the vag-com on and went for a spin, the MAF looked alright at first, but as soon as it warmed up it began to be erratic and it was pretty much in sync with how the car felt(dead spot and then heavy pull), the value went as low as 225mg and all the way up to 1200mg. I then went ahead and unplugged it and went to a spin. The car felt better and no hesitation.....so now I have a MAF on order and should be here tomorrow. I will update to confirm it as soon as I get the new MAF on there....

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Other things I've seen on PD's that cause intermittent power issues especially at low load is an EGR leak. The leak causes bad MAF readings and a result is choppy power output until the EGR duty cycle drops, that closes off the EGR which returns your MAF readings back to normal and power returns. Unfortunately those leaks tend to be a lot harder to find and troubleshoot.
Tell me about it. I've got the infamous hissing/leaking EGR cooler that is progressively getting worse. But I've been so busy the last few weeks that I haven't had a chance to talk to AST about the performance upgrade package that would also involve fixing this. Right now, the car is bogging a little off the line while the EGR cooler hisses, then around 2000 rpm, something changes, the EGR cooler stops hissing and it takes off.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
Well, after some troubleshooting and reading on here, it looks like it is the MAF sensor afterall. Pulled EGR, took a look at it, everything looked alright, it wasn't to dirty at all, cleaned it up since I had it off. Threw the vag-com on and went for a spin, the MAF looked alright at first, but as soon as it warmed up it began to be erratic and it was pretty much in sync with how the car felt(dead spot and then heavy pull), the value went as low as 225mg and all the way up to 1200mg. I then went ahead and unplugged it and went to a spin. The car felt better and no hesitation.....so now I have a MAF on order and should be here tomorrow. I will update to confirm it as soon as I get the new MAF on there....
honestly this sounds EXACTLY like an EGR related issue.

Reason it got better is because when you pull the MAF the ECU fixes the MAF readings at 400 or 500mg/st, it doesnt see any deviation off of that number caused by an external leak (bad EGR).

What you could do is unplug and temporarily block off the vacuum hose that attaches to the EGR gas cooler. Its below the turbo inlet pipe almost directly below the N75 and N18 solenoids. Go for a rip and see if your power is back. It'll likley cause a Check Engine Light but when you plug it back in you should be able to clear it with your vag-com. that part should eliminate the rest of the pipe work leading up to the intake manifold and hopefully rule out the EGR as a problem.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
ahh just noticed your an 06 TDI... that MKV body may have the stuff in a different location entirely.

Follow the vacuum lines from the N18 solenoid and pull it off the actuator arm. result should be the same.

blazes9395

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Just to update, i havn't had a chance today to fool around with the car. I also didn't get a chance to get the part before they closed, so tomorrow I will get a see what happens.

Omega, I hope thats not the case, if there is one thing I hate doing, its buying parts that don't need to be replaced....I will reconnect MAF and disable the EGR and see what happens.

I will update....

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Careful ... If the EGR valve does not operate correctly, the ECU will close the "throttle" to try to get more exhaust flowing through the EGR, and that'll make it run badly.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
Careful ... If the EGR valve does not operate correctly, the ECU will close the "throttle" to try to get more exhaust flowing through the EGR, and that'll make it run badly.
humm when i was helping diagnose a bad EGR on a couple of other cars pulling that vacuum hose prevented the EGR from opening which solved the problem of the wacky throttle and bouncing MAF numbers.

The only place the car measures airflow is at the MAF... so when the EGR opens the computer expects to see a drop in that reading with the increase in EGR duty cycle. If the car doesnt see a drop in MAF readings when it opens the EGR it'll throw a check engine light but i'm not sure it'll back off the power to try and compensate... its been a VERY long time since my car has had that system working so i'm just speculating at this point.

Hopefully replacing the MAF fixes his problem and everything goes back to normal

blazes9395

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Well an update...

Threw a new MAF on there and the problem is solved.....I can't believe it. Goes to show you even though no codes, dont assume its o.k. Thanks wingnut for the suggestion that steered me that direction...thanks to everyone else for that matter too!