Anyone installed remote start on a TDI with manual transmission?

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ Package 1
I am considering installing remote start on my TDI. I am experienced at remote start installs, but never on a diesel or manual. I realize I would have to have the wait to start and neutral safety wires hooked up, but anything else I need to consider on this specific install?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Bopper

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta GLS Tornado Red
The whole starter on a manual is scary stuff.

My friends Pathfinder = $20,000
Starter = $500
The look on my friends face as the Pathfinder leaped across a four lane busy road while not killing or damaging anything = Priceless:D

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I realize I would have to have the wait to start and neutral safety wires hooked up, but anything else I need to consider on this specific install?
Just being in neutral is not enough. I'm pretty sure that the clutch must be depressed (or the clutch interlock bypassed). I think that the real question is why do you want to install a remote starter? Diesels do not warm up very well (or very fast) at an idle, so if your goal is cabin heat, you might be wasting effort. Letting the car idle long enough to actually warm up might not be good for your emissions system.

Have Fun!

Don

SuperChicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg TDI
I live in Yellowknife, NWT. If I don't idle my car when I stop at a friends for a couple hours at -30C, it might not start again... If I don't idle my car 20 minutes before I leave for the 5 minute drive to work, it will never warm up.

Idling may be harder on the car, but sitting in my car freezing my ass off is harder on me.

I find if you set the car to recirculate, and put the fan on a setting of 1 or 2, the engine will attain 60 to 70C water temperature after a while. A fast idle switch would be nice.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
I have a friend up in Wisconsin that installed remote start on his tdi but he went one step further by installing a coolant heater setup so that if the temp switch reads below 120 degrees the heater heats the coolant up...so when he remote starts his car the relay turns the coolant heater on and in a few minutes the car has full blown heat in 0 degree temps

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
A fast idle switch would be nice.
Why not get JSP to install one of these tunes

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=305250

with this as well

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=305248

Also the frost heater kit is a huge plus in the cold - instant heat to defrost the window and heat the interior. These are 1000 watts of bliss at -30C

http://www.frostheater.com/Jetta%20order%20kit%20995HTR1.htm

For the original poster, if you install a 1000 watt frostheater for your car, you won't need a remote start to warm it up. They make a kit for a 2010 Jetta.

Last edited:

UBR WGN

TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI
I had an autostart put in my 2012 TDI 6mt. There is a sequence you go through when you get out of the car to set it, so that it will not be able to start in gear. I was in a situation where I was working in a place that had a wide open parking lot with no plug ins, and this piece hasnt let me down. Not cheap, but I found it to be well worth it.

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
i've got one on my manual. i have a frostheater with a relay in that shuts off the heater when the remote start kicks in. I fire er up 3-4 min before i leave (i have it set to hot and recirculate the night before) and i have a warm car when i get there. i also installed one on my buddies golf. it backed itself into a dump truck. that was an expensive fix. all i did was bypass the depressed clutch switch, no neutral safety (risk i decided to take). also i have to leave a key in the ignition due to the whole immobilizer issue. if you have any questions about my install, feel free to shoot me a PM.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
If you have the cash, go for a Webasto Blueheat with the T-100 remote.

SuperChicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg TDI
Why not get JSP to install one of these tunes

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=305250

with this as well

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=305248

Also the frost heater kit is a huge plus in the cold - instant heat to defrost the window and heat the interior. These are 1000 watts of bliss at -30C

http://www.frostheater.com/Jetta%20order%20kit%20995HTR1.htm

For the original poster, if you install a 1000 watt frostheater for your car, you won't need a remote start to warm it up. They make a kit for a 2010 Jetta.

I have a frostheater, battery blanket, and trickle charger. Otherwise I can't start my car below -20C if left shut off for more than 8 hours.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Many years ago I installed mobile electronics (stereo systems and security/remote start systems). I've installed a few remote start systems on MT vehicles. When I did it I wired one of the triggered outputs to trip a relay to bypass the clutch safety when the remote start was activated AND I wired a pair of micro switches with triggers on each side of the shifter. This way the remote start would not crank the car/truck if the transmission was in any other position than neutral. It was not to hard to do. Also, any quality remote start systems should have a diesel mode with a wait to crank timer that allows the glow plugs to heat. Finally, the installer/shop you choose should also have a module that will allow the car to remote start without leaving the key in the ignition, as that would be dangerous and could lead to theft/liability issues.

If you would like some details send me a PM...

70MPG-goal

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
A remote starter is money wasted on a TDI, both the starter and fuel. Best bet would be a coolant heater (much cheaper to buy, install & operate) and heated seats, from a scrap yard. If that's not enough, plug in an electric heater inside the cabin.
I always plug my coolant heater, but on the coldest days I also plug a portable heater in the cabin to let it warm up.
Blocking of the grill and bumper inlets ( not the 1 for the intercooler ) will help the engine compartment lose less heat and warm up faster.