Anyone install new exhaust on your TDI

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
IIRC even the A5 PD wasn't much louder with a muffler delete. Remember the turbo muffles a lot of the sound....then you have the CAT and DPF. My sister had an exhaust leak on her ford explorer between the CAT and Muffler (at the rotten flange). Even it was only slightly louder despite a huge exhaust leak there. It actually sounded good to me, but, the leak was on the driver side between front and rear passenger doors..a must fix for safety reasons. I have never been a big fan of really loud exhaust, but I am all for increasing power. On a gasser the loud exhaust will create rattles and vibrations over time. I like looks and performance...but I like to be stealth...you know so nobody knows what kind of power you have until you punch it.
My A5 wasn't much louder straight piped from the turbo back. Then I put it back to stock.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
sorry but the passat does not strike me as a cool mod car....strikes me as a car my dad would drive and I am over 50.....lol. sorry passat guys....
I agree with this. I might do some power mods some day, but it will never be pimped/blinged out. Its just not the type of car it is, to me anyways. I like it just the way VW made it

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Could be witnessing the birth of a new genre: The TDI "pocket rocket"?

Little diesel hot-rods that still get 50mpg?
Welcome to the past 15 years here on TDIClub!

That said, none of the mods in this thread are performance enhancements.

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Oh, really?.......You mean there have been 1.5/2.0 litre diesel VW hot-rodders for ALL that time and I have been unaware?

I am humbled.

I would regard less-restictive air-intake as "performance enhancement"....except that the total package intake-through-exhaust is so complicated anymore that I wouldn't even trust my opinion of that normally-simple thing.

Basically just don't get performance-oriented folks choosing these vehicles. Never have. But, there they are.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Some of us are die-hard diesel heads. Some are addicted to torque. Others like having spirited performance and good fuel economy. Very few of these cars (VW TDIs) are going to win races unless highly modified - there are certainly several highly modified ones around here - and that's fine.

What are we supposed to buy? What are we supposed to talk about in the TDI Performance Enhancements forum? Mustangs and Camaros? No thanks!

On the subject of "cold air intakes" and other aftermarket filters, they have been thoroughly debunked and provide no additional power on the TDI engine. If you want to install one for more noise, that's your prerogative, but don't go around the forums touting it as a power enhancement.

Feel free to search for more information on the subject. The long and the short of it is that on a computer controlled turbocharged engine that meters the charge air, restriction doesn't matter. Additionally, many of the aftermarket filters are actually more restrictive over time than the stock ones.

Last edited:

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
I think we're more-or-less on the same page.

However, "spirited performance"? Oh, please.

I say that while having been and BEING enthralled by the performance of my TDI purchases....totally stock, and will stay that way. Guess I'm an old fart...but my cars go good, don't break, and give me incredible mpg.

Surely do NOT imagine adding kiddie-stuff to the mix to pretend I'm Captain Rocket-Car with my 140hp diesel. Do not see how a chrome exhaust-tip would help me or impress anybody.

Wait....the stock exhaust-tip is already chrome. Never mind.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drive my wagon and you'll understand that diesel and spirited performance can live together. I just got home from a trip where I drove a rental Mazda 6 400 miles in two days and coming out of the airport this morning I accidentally spun the front wheels in my wagon (in second) because I hadn't recalibrated how much pedal it needed versus the rental. My 2012 Golf feels pretty sluggish by comparison.

Diesels can be quick, fun, and stay economical. Some of us have had the pleasure of enjoying them for years.

Oh, and I think an aftermarket exhaust on a common rail is a waste, and a traditional cold air intake would prove to be worse than stock on a dyno.

Last edited:

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
What's the diameter of the stock exhaust pipe? I'm at my desk at work or I would measure it myself. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
sorry but the passat does not strike me as a cool mod car....strikes me as a car my dad would drive and I am over 50.....lol. sorry passat guys....
This is what you get when you push the price point of the Passat into the traditionally Jetta demographic. :)

All the modifiers of the Jetta move over to the Passat. The B5.5 did not have that many modifications, they are traditional all for the Jetta.

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT, 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6MT & 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
I just wanted to point out that this is not an AFE exhaust but more like a hack job from a local muffler shop. (Which I have no issue with if the owner of the car likes it)

Here is a pick of the AFE exhaust end

AFE claims to increase the HP by 9 and torque by 32.

Someone posted these pics on vwvortex and I see a big difference in the diameter of the pipes.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
First...if someone wants to add a big exhaust to their car...why do you care? Let them do it. Its an individual thing. If you want to keep your car stock...fine. Some people are happy with what they buy...others want to personalize their stuff. Nothing wrong with that. This is why I dont buy suits off the rack. I have them made. I dont like the general stuff I can buy enough..I need to change it to suit my tastes.

The Passat exhaust is ridiculously small and kinked. I am not sure replacing it will add power yet...but I would not be surprised if it did as its smaller than golf\jetta. I am not usually into big blingy exhausts...but for those who are...have at it. I will modify my Passat and I believe my mods will add to its appearance and performance. Some will disagree. Thats ok. I prefer to enjoy my toys and my Passat qualifies as one of my toys. It can be made brutally fast....but I likely wont do it...yet. I'll do a Jetta first. Really...give the guy and the whole performance section a break. If you prefer stock unmodified cars...there are other places in this forum to post.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Remember all, this is the same generation doing this that has their pants hanging down around their knees prison and gangster style. So when it comes to what is cool or neat, one just need look at the whole package.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Remember all, this is the same generation doing this that has their pants hanging down around their knees prison and gangster style. So when it comes to what is cool or neat, one just need look at the whole package.
Tom, there are words I want to say to this, but none of them are allowed on this forum.

I am 35, and I wear my pants where they are supposed to be worn, and work a professional job with MANY certifications.

You choose to keep your car stock, some of us choose to modify ours.

I have an AFE exhaust sitting in my Garage. I plan to install it when I get a weekend above 50. I believe the stock exhaust is restrictive, and has no character as far as sound. Looking at the AFE, I am pretty sure it will solve both. I have been around diesels and race cars all of my life. I have never seen a more open better flowing exhaust not improve a cars numbers. In some cases it is a little, and less than the manufacturers claims, but it still improved them. Most of the time it didn't improve them as much, it was because of restrictions further up the chain, or because of tuning.

Bottom line, if you have no value to the discussion other than to trash or look down on what other people are choosing to do to their cars, stay out of the discussion.

I apologize but this needed to be said!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
First...if someone wants to add a big exhaust to their car...why do you care? Let them do it. Its an individual thing. If you want to keep your car stock...fine. Some people are happy with what they buy...others want to personalize their stuff. Nothing wrong with that. This is why I dont buy suits off the rack. I have them made. I dont like the general stuff I can buy enough..I need to change it to suit my tastes.

The Passat exhaust is ridiculously small and kinked. I am not sure replacing it will add power yet...but I would not be surprised if it did as its smaller than golf\jetta. I am not usually into big blingy exhausts...but for those who are...have at it. I will modify my Passat and I believe my mods will add to its appearance and performance. Some will disagree. Thats ok. I prefer to enjoy my toys and my Passat qualifies as one of my toys. It can be made brutally fast....but I likely wont do it...yet. I'll do a Jetta first. Really...give the guy and the whole performance section a break. If you prefer stock unmodified cars...there are other places in this forum to post.
Well said!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
AFE claims to increase the HP by 9 and torque by 32.

Someone posted these pics on vwvortex and I see a big difference in the diameter of the pipes.

Thanks for posting pics. That is why I purchased the exhaust myself. I am having a hard time swallowing the numbers though. I believe it will increase, but not that much with just the exhaust.

-Loki

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is a forum. People will always post BS as well as helpful items. You have to be able to winnow the chaff, as long as it isn't too thick. The moderators do a very good job on this as well. A few posts help as it lets you determine whether to listen to anything that poster says any more.

I tried an exhaust on my 2006 Jetta and wasn't impressed with it and the cost involved. I decided to leave mine stock this time, except for little tweaks. But I enjoy seeing what others are capable of doing.

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm sure you did not intend this comment to be as generalized and negative as it is, but I would argue that there are plenty of people with modified cars that present a (honest) professional image. I have seen modified cars - some tasteful some extreme, but that is each individual's business.

Last edited:

tyrntlzrdking

Banned
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I have an AFE exhaust sitting in my Garage. I plan to install it when I get a weekend above 50.
The AFE exhaust looks nice to me, but my dealer says it may void my warranty.

Will be watching for your opinions.

I am amazed that the few that have modified their exhaust (cat back) report no change in sound.
Why have the muffler?

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Remember all, this is the same generation doing this that has their pants hanging down around their knees prison and gangster style. So when it comes to what is cool or neat, one just need look at the whole package.[/QUOTE

Some people are just meant to be angry and depressed. They resort to bullying to make themselves feel better. At least Im out of the house and out cutting, welding and fabricating things. I have some more exhaust and engine upgrades up my sleeve too that are in the works;-) hint hint*

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
The AFE exhaust looks nice to me, but my dealer says it may void my warranty.

Will be watching for your opinions.

I am amazed that the few that have modified their exhaust (cat back) report no change in sound.
Why have the muffler?
So far so good. I just had a warranty turbo and dpf replacement with my muffler delete. Probably depends on the dealer but mine basically said that they cant send a modified part back to vw because vw inspects the part to see why it failed. So as long as the actual failed part has no trace of modification youll be ok within reason. I also had a headlight housing warrantied that had HIDs installed. Im also unsure why they still have mufflers on these cars. Maybe its the way laws are written saying a car must have a muffler and a dpf isnt technically a muffler.

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
Ooooh, where can I get those? :D

LMAO

I actually have fuzzy dice on my mirror. But I removed the Dots and replaced them with Star Wars Characters. Nothing like a Vader Boba-fett Roll to give me luck for the day. LOL