Anyone have premature front coil spring failure?

notagearhead

TDI
2013 JWS M6; 2002 Jetta (fate tbd)
2013 JSW manual. 48xxx miles. While I cannot attest to the first 38xxx miles, I can tell you, I haven’t curbed or hit a large pothole at any kind of speed.
Snapped about 8 inches off of one of the coil ends. Strut mount also failed, but that could have been a result of coil spring failure. Anyone else have this happen?
Any recommendations for strut and spring assemblies cheaper than bilsteins?

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Had the front spring break on my 2010 a couple of years ago. Was the OEM part. Got all my replacement stuff from ID parts, have been using the Koni active struts, and have been happy with them.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Had the front spring break on my 2010 a couple of years ago. Was the OEM part. Got all my replacement stuff from ID parts, have been using the Koni active struts, and have been happy with them.
Same thing happened on our 2010 GSW.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Had both front springs break on my 02 Golf, and had one of the front spring mounts on the Koni strut rust thru and break. Koni says rust damage not covered by their warranty. Replaced the Koni's with Bilsten's, ran them with no issues until car failed safety inspection for rust at 300K miles.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Seen plenty of A5 cars break front springs, although typically much higher mileage. Illinois and their liberal salt use doesn't help.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
On my 2012 TDI Sportwagon the left front spring snapped about 7/8 of a turn from the top end after 8 years of (Illinois) driving and one year of mostly sitting, at 113,000 miles. My independent shop recommended Monroe quick struts as the most cost effective solution. After reading some not so positive feedback on quick struts in general I was a bit worried, but they claim they had no complaints or premature failure of these, and use them on their/family cars. So far so good; ride height and car handling does feel the same, minus the weird springy sounds of course.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
Geeze, can you imagine half a coil bouncing into your windsheild at 80mph? Surprised this is so common..

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
That coil would have to make it through the top of the fender and through the hood. That's a whole lot of metal. So, while certainly amusing to imagine, not very likely.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
I meant 1/2 of one coil off the pig tail end breaking off and falling out from under your car.. or 7/8th like you said. It wouldn't take more than that to ruin somebody's day.

Fogcat

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I have replaced all 4 corners. 4 inches fell of in a parking lot. Well actually flew off with an amazing zing clang sound. The front drivers just sounded like big ben whenever the wheel turned at slow speed, at higher speed it made odd clunking. The rear could have ruined the tire!

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
You guys are giving another reason to drive 55 in the slow lane rather than 85 in the fast lane.. kind of scary this is so common.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, good to hear (well, in a way), so not completely uncommon.