Anyone have luck trading TDI after EPA announcement?

Smaug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with DSG and Sunroof
I tried to trade my 2013 TDI Passat with DSG in and got an offer of $8000. Other offer I got from another dealer was $9650.

I still have it.

09jettaloyale

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Passat SE DSG, 2001 F-250 PSD
I traded mine at the end of September, right after the scandal kicked off. According to KBB, trade-in value has dropped off about $3,400 since then. The scandal didnt bother me, but I wasn't prepared for more, more expensive repairs (like turbo, HPFP) on my '13 which is probably the worst year for NMS Passats.

There have been few problems with the Passats HPFP. VW extended your warrantee on the turbo to 100k miles.

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
There have been few problems with the Passats HPFP.
Mine, however, being one of them to fail, at 17k miles while on vacation to NoCal. Car spent 4 weeks at a dealer far far away. VW did get us a rental (Versa) to drive back home. The TDI is a complicated arrangement, there is much more that can fail (expensively) than the same car with a gasser engine.

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
While that's possible, it's equally likely that this will not happen. There is just not as big of a difference in fuel economy between gassers and diesel cars anymore. The case could be made that sooner or later...diesel vehicles will be nothing more than a novelty.

i.e. The Passat TSI. It's a good bit cheaper than a comparably priced TDI. It's the same story for the new Jetta 1.8T. While the fuel economy isn't QUITE as high, the lower priced fuel offsets some of the TDI fuel economy advantage. You wouldn't have to mess with a finicky fuel pump, emissions system, Adblue fluid, diesel fuel premium, etc.

I can see there being an enthusiast market for TDI's for years to come. As far as being a mainstream option though...I think that ship has sailed.
Completely agree with you. My main issue with my Passat is that the things that have gone wrong on it are unique to the diesel version making me wonder if I would have been better off just opting for a non-diesel. Those repair costs, added to the costs of DSG service ( I know the DSG isn't unique to the TDI ) as well as price of diesel being at least $0.25 - $0.40 more per gallon have made this a poor decision now knowing all of the facts of my current situation. I was willing to be even on costs because as a gear head and an engineer I wanted something a little different and that fit my family needs as well as long commute needs but this experiment will be over and on to the next one before I pass the 110K mark. This is when my extended powertrain warranty runs out, my next DSG service will be due (because I had to pull ahead the 80k to 73k miles due to leak) and I planned my last tire and brake job at 70k miles to carry me through so hopefully it is just basic service until that mileage.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Note "To deliver full potential", which does not indicate in any way that it is mandatory to use it . . .

- Tim
Yes. I thought I had made that clear. If you want the car to perform as advertised, you have to use premium gasoline.

TDIEQNY

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I traded mine in about a month ago.

Got $13,500 for it plus another grand in dealer cash from Toyota on the car I was leasing.

Mine was a SEL with about 60K on it. Immac., new tires no issues.

Now before everyone flames me.. I had no plan on getting rid of this car for quite some time but, my wife just had our third child and 3 car seats wouldn't fit across well in our SUV.

That sent us into a panic, and the Passat had to go as a trade as our SUV still had a lot of time left on the lease therefore was not an option.

I really miss the Passat, it's quirkiness, sharp handling, and what it stood for in terms of efficiency. I don't miss not knowing what lied ahead for it and realize I lost about 5K in the trade.

Win some lose some. With gas prices plummeting, it also became harder to justify the savings and expensive maintenance too.

Would I get another VW? maybe.. another TDI? perhaps if gas prices start to climb to where they were in '13.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Yes. I thought I had made that clear. If you want the car to perform as advertised, you have to use premium gasoline.
"But there will be zero damage or repercussion if you do not" was not also stated, tending to create the false impression that use of premium was mandatory.

- Tim

oldhifi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
No dealer wants these TDI cars

Well.... The initial trade-in value for my car was $10,800 but the deal had not been signed yet. Yesterday went in to sign the deal... they said the best they could do now was $6000 for the trade-in. They said nobody was taking them at auction any more, that they couldn't hardly give these cars away. Looks like I am going to be stuck with this thing for a while. Thanks VW!!
you cant even get a dealer to talk to you on a trade. Heck I checked with trading my TDI on a Nissan Pickup the VW dealer had, and they never called back..

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
you cant even get a dealer to talk to you on a trade. Heck I checked with trading my TDI on a Nissan Pickup the VW dealer had, and they never called back..
Yup. I went to the GMC dealer this weekend to look at trucks. When I pulled up, the guy asked if it was a diesel. I laughed and said "yeah...I know...you don't want it." He was like "yeah...that's tough man."

I joke that I could probably get a pack of smokes in trade on my car. I don't smoke, but the thought makes me lol (the comparison...not driving a leper of a car).

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I just got my 20K service today, and while I was talking with the sales manager I asked if VW was giving them any support to keep trade-in values up. He said no, but that their owner was still making reasonable offers because the trust the car's value will remain or go higher. I've dealt with this man for almost 15 years, and never felt he was leading me on or making stuff up.

He gave me a new Subaru Crosstrak Hybrid to drive while they serviced my car. Actually was a pretty nice car overall, and the dash indicated 36.5 MPG overall from my drive. This was a lot of freeway, along with some in-town driving. About 75 miles altogether. The hybrid system was pretty seamless, and the car is overall a little smaller than a Tiguan. Not quite large enough for me, but not bad.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I just got my 20K service today, and while I was talking with the sales manager I asked if VW was giving them any support to keep trade-in values up. He said no, but that their owner was still making reasonable offers because the trust the car's value will remain or go higher. I've dealt with this man for almost 15 years, and never felt he was leading me on or making stuff up.

He gave me a new Subaru Crosstrak Hybrid to drive while they serviced my car. Actually was a pretty nice car overall, and the dash indicated 36.5 MPG overall from my drive. This was a lot of freeway, along with some in-town driving. About 75 miles altogether. The hybrid system was pretty seamless, and the car is overall a little smaller than a Tiguan. Not quite large enough for me, but not bad.
He's full of it. VW did...in fact...guarantee dealerships that they would buy back any TDI's that they took in on trade if they sat on the lot for 'X' number of days. They did that as an incentive to: 1. Prop up the trade-in values, and 2. Help move new cars. If you check out the news...VW just bought some of those cars back from the dealers.

That's not even getting into the "discretionary" money that VW gave dealers. I don't know if they've gotten a second round of it, but VW did, in fact, give them what amounted to their own goodwiill package. My dealership was using it for things like paying for loaner cars, heavily discounting new cars, offsetting loyalty discounts, paying for advertising, etc. I would be willing to bet that they also were using it to offset trade-in values.