Anyone have experience with FCP Euro?

julianlewis

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
I'm looking to do a 02Q service on my recently acquired 2011 Jetta TDI. I would like to change the transmission oil, but 45$ a liter is out of budget at the moment. When I look up the G52 fluid (part # g-052-171-a2) this service kit pops up.

Is this stuff any good?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are two possible gear oils for your transmission. You'll have to run your VIN to get the correct PN (we can do that for you at IDParts if you give us a call). But I suspect that oil isn't the correct one, and you're going to have to buy with the $45/liter OE gear oil.

julianlewis

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
Thank you for your replies. After doing some reading there were two different oils specified. The G052 and G055. I was reading on this site that GL-5 can damage the brass synchro's and I would like to avoid that. I have the six speed in my car if that helps, I tried to call but I'm on the west coast and didn't realize how late it was over there lol. I'm just trying to see if these fluids are of OEM quality that they claim to be.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thank you for your replies. After doing some reading there were two different oils specified. The G052 and G055. I was reading on this site that GL-5 can damage the brass synchro's and I would like to avoid that. I have the six speed in my car if that helps, I tried to call but I'm on the west coast and didn't realize how late it was over there lol. I'm just trying to see if these fluids are of OEM quality that they claim to be.
I run OE/OEM in my car no issues. I also use their lifetime warranty on my fluid changes.

They save me $$$ in the long run.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I also use their lifetime warranty on my fluid changes.
For those that don't know (and bearing in mind that I've never used them, but from what's on FCP's website and from what others have said), FCPeuro.com offers a lifetime warranty on everything they sell, for as long as you own the car.
As in EVERY. THING.
"All parts purchased from FCP Euro are guaranteed for the life of the ownership of your car, even consumables."

That includes wear parts (think brake pads, clutches, flywheels, timing belts), and apparently (as stated above) fluids (?!)....even engine oil?

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
For those that don't know (and bearing in mind that I've never used them, but from what's on FCP's website and from what others have said), FCPeuro.com offers a lifetime warranty on everything they sell, for as long as you own the car.
As in EVERY. THING.
"All parts purchased from FCP Euro are guaranteed for the life of the ownership of your car, even consumables."

That includes wear parts (think brake pads, clutches, flywheels, timing belts), and apparently (as stated above) fluids (?!)....even engine oil?
That is correct, the only items they don't warranty is fuel additives and aerosol cans (Stuff that disappears).
I've used them so far is engine oil, engine filter, fuel filter, cabin air filter, DSG oil and filter. I got a DMF and TB kit for my car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
GL5 is harmful in transmissions not made for GL5. If you transmission specifies GL5 (and I think it does) that's what you should use.

Febi branded fluids are good. A lot of fluids like transmission fluid and coolant come from centralized refineries and are put in a variety of packages, including OE. VW doesn't own an oil refinery or a coolant plant. So they're not making their branded products.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
As in EVERY. THING.

but Ive noticed lately they have jacked the prices up quite a bit....a lot on some things

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just got some of the OE GL-5 for my son's '11 GSW. Car is new to him, and it's getting a 20K service along with a gear oil change this weekend. I don't like the cost of the oil, but I think gear oil changes are often overlooked on manual transmission cars.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just like the JSW doesn't have a drain on the radiator. Discourages a coolant flush.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Just got some of the OE GL-5 for my son's '11 GSW. Car is new to him, and it's getting a 20K service along with a gear oil change this weekend. I don't like the cost of the oil, but I think gear oil changes are often overlooked on manual transmission cars.
Doesn't that call for a GL-4 mtf? I used a mix of Synchromesh and "synthetic" Valvoline 75w90 GL-4/GL-5 in mine with no ill effects. If I was patient enough to wait for delivery, I'd have used something like this:

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You have to run the VIN to get the correct oil. Running the VIN on my son's car shows GL-5, PN G 052 527 A2.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You have to run the VIN to get the correct oil. Running the VIN on my son's car shows GL-5, PN G 052 527 A2.
Huh, that Fuchs Titan Sintofluid in the link is GL-4 and has the VW approval for the part # you mention.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That could be true. It might work as well. Just like you can use 507.00 oil in an ALH or BEW. May not be the best option, but VW says it's OK.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I think a good 75w gear oil be it gl-5 or gl-4 should be fine. The Valvoline oil I mentioned earlier said it met both specs. This official looking Febi gear oil has the right part # and says GL-4 on the bottle:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
As I'm sure you know VW doesn't put viscosity numbers on their gear oils. I've always thought G070 pours more easily than, say, Liqui Moly 75w-90. So I'm never sure.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, but the oil has a viscosity nonetheless, and the OE supplier of the oil to VW does specify viscosity when they sell the same product under their own label. It seems the viscosity for G 052527 is monograde 75 weight, and possibly also 75w80. Much like the official VW part # for the motor oil might be a 0w-30 507 spec, but a 5w-30 507 spec is equally acceptable.

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Both FCP Euro and IDParts are fantastic (and local to me!) stores. FCP's warranty really isn't useful for fluids unless you're local (shipping oil will cost as much as buying more). RockAuto is also great, but shipping can take forever and cost as much as their lower price saves.

That said, definitely cross reference with ETKA (or just use IDParts). FCP Euro has a lot of TDI parts, but their catalog definitely isn't always right when filtering by "TDI'.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
i love FCPeuro, i use FCP for my parts and IDParts for tools

i try to avoid ECS.... but sometimes theyve got the better deals on tools

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL

Huh I can't wait for them to open up shop in AZ.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

Huh I can't wait for them to open up shop in AZ.
I'm waiting for ANYONE to 'open up shop' in Iowa....:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Steve

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'm waiting for ANYONE to 'open up shop' in Iowa....:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Steve
Not happy with the corn fields?

I cross shop FCP, IDparts and Shopdap.

IDparts usually wins for tdi specific stuff, and their economy $9 shipping ends up being next day.

FCP also used to ship a fair amount out of CT so it was pretty darn quick too, but im guessing thats going to change as they move to more business friendly state than CT (everyone's leaving CT, WWE, Lego, GE).