Anyone have any rumors on the GTD Golf coming to the US?

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
The 2015 Gold GTD is available in Europe only. From what I have researched, its a great mix between the GTI and the TDI. I would love to see this come to the US, and I am sure I'm not alone. Some VW engineers share this desire.

Anyone heard any rumors?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not going to happen. The car's IRS isn't compatible with the Adblue treatment in North American TDIs. And VW doesn't want to build a different version for what would be a small market.

Articles like the one linked above are pure rumor. VW (and other manufacturers) are famous for speculating on cars going into production or being brought to the US that are fiction.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Not going to happen. The car's IRS isn't compatible with the Adblue treatment in North American TDIs. And VW doesn't want to build a different version for what would be a small market.

Articles like the one linked above are pure rumor. VW (and other manufacturers) are famous for speculating on cars going into production or being brought to the US that are fiction.
VW Canada says no go.

GassinGerhard

Veteran Member
I wouldn't give up on this.

I want one of these to replace my heavily modified, 2000 Golf TDI which has nearly 200,000 miles on it.

Right now, I'm on vacation in Germany. I went to Autostadt in Wolfsburg yesterday and asked about this. While they were quite receptive, they gave me the full on poker face.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

rbwhite42

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2006 Dodge Cummins
Gtd

I emailed VW marketing about the availability of the GTD in the US. They said probably not going to happen due to emissions issues. Still trying to decide on Golf TDI or GTI with performance package.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Not happening. The GTD with its independent rear suspension won't meet US emissions regulations unless VW can come up with some creative location for the DEF tank.

The GTD is still allowed in Europe because it can meet Euro emissions regulations without using DEF, which allows it to retain the independent rear suspension that the US has to give up.

eav

TDI
Jetta, 2015 Sportwagen
Does anyone know if the Sportwagen will have IRS and if so could a GTD version be offered? It is quite a bit longer after all.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
So, I almost got to drive a GTD today! I'm in Germany with my wife, and went to the rental counter, and they said they "may" have a GTD to rent. It got my hopes up a little high all to be let down. They didn't have any available :(

But I ended up with a TDi Golf, and still topped it out on the autobahn at about 218 k/pH (about 135 MPH from my conversion math), so it still was a good day.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just noticed on VW's site that they are selling 2-door GTI here this year. Who needs a GTD? Too many doors anyway.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
No No NO NO, VW does not care about the US market if it did it would listen to what VW TDI guys want...all wheel drive JSW, GTD, more HP, the list goes on and on...

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
218 is pretty fast for someone not used to it ;-)
I have driven faster than that before more than once, but never in a rental, and definately never in a TDi! The car got there surprisingly fast, and felt very stable and quiet. The autobahn roads helped, but I felt completely safe driving it at those speeds.

The GTD tops out at a few MPH faster from what I researched, but it accelerates there much quicker.

I stopped by a small VW dealer today and saw another "non US" VW model I would like to own. The VW Scirocco is a beautiful car both in person and in pictures. Really wish I could have just brought this home with me.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Sorry, I have had this problem happen before whenever I would post a picture with my iPhone.