Anyone going to SOWO?

cealer

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I'm rolling up in my '11 Golf TDI. It's all decaled up for a rally I'm going on next month! Look of me, number 78! :D

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
deflated suspension?

I just looked at a slideshow from 2011 SoWo event. It looks like the cars must drop onto the ground after stopping, like the suspension is hydraulic and they set them down on the ground when stopped. Could be an anti-theft strategy. The roads in every city I've lived aren't flat enough to drive on with no suspension. I guess it can be lifted too.

An interesting look, but on some cars, the wheels are actually in contact with the fenders! How much does one spend on the hydraulics to add this feature? Adjustable height seems to be an extremely expensive way to lower the vehicle. Maybe it is the only way to lower the vehicle temporarily.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I just looked at a slideshow from 2011 SoWo event. It looks like the cars must drop onto the ground after stopping, like the suspension is hydraulic and they set them down on the ground when stopped. Could be an anti-theft strategy. The roads in every city I've lived aren't flat enough to drive on with no suspension. I guess it can be lifted too.

An interesting look, but on some cars, the wheels are actually in contact with the fenders! How much does one spend on the hydraulics to add this feature? Adjustable height seems to be an extremely expensive way to lower the vehicle. Maybe it is the only way to lower the vehicle temporarily.
DUDE! dafuk? serious? joking? sarcastic?
cant tell over internet.....

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
DUDE! dafuk? serious? joking? sarcastic?
cant tell over internet.....
Not sarcastic, just never saw VWs with what appears to be no suspension. Obviously, the suspension MUST be adjustable. It just looks weird with the wheels actually in contact with the fenders!

If I was within a few hours, I'd go and check this out. Just too far away.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
A lot of them have bags (air ride suspensions). It's very expensive. Part of the look is to have the tires as close to the fenders as possible and have the wheels actually outside the fender (with wheels too large for the tires). I don't really get it.

They also adjust their camber so the rear wheels are angled outward.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
ok, so you were for real. ok cool. no biggie, i thought you were trolling or some thing. haha.

yea air ride on most of them, bags, so that when you let all the air out, or most of the air out, your front and rear or a combination is tucked under your fenders. so it looks like your on the ground. most do the camber in the front/rear so that the top of the tire/wheel is actaully negative, so it tucks, while in return the bottom of the tire is pushed out, because of the negative camber.
make sense? no, but i guess its cool if you do air ride stuff.
ill stick with coilovers.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
ok, so you were for real. ok cool. no biggie, i thought you were trolling or some thing. haha.

yea air ride on most of them, bags, so that when you let all the air out, or most of the air out, your front and rear or a combination is tucked under your fenders. so it looks like your on the ground. most do the camber in the front/rear so that the top of the tire/wheel is actaully negative, so it tucks, while in return the bottom of the tire is pushed out, because of the negative camber.
make sense? no, but i guess its cool if you do air ride stuff.
ill stick with coilovers.
I think air is cool for show, coils are for track use; between the two I would just get some sport springs and call it a day :D

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package
I talked to someone with a JSW with full exhaust. Staying at the Rodeway Inn. Might have been Toeball.

Car sounded really good. I would love to do all that to mine but I can't bring myself to remove so much stuff after only 2k miles. Maybe if my DPF fails.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
I talked to someone with a JSW with full exhaust. Staying at the Rodeway Inn. Might have been Toeball.

Car sounded really good. I would love to do all that to mine but I can't bring myself to remove so much stuff after only 2k miles. Maybe if my DPF fails.
Thanks. That was me. Nice meeting you even if I didn't know I had. :D

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
My wife and I made the scene for the first time and really enjoyed it. The Sunday cruise was a great deal of fun too and we ended up following another TDI. Rowing the gearbox on the grades and twisties was wonderful. There are some seriously fast cars out there.

I enjoyed seeing the few Siroccos. Fresh out of college, I had my heart set on a new one but just couldn't afford it. I can't recall exactly, but I'm thinking that they stickered for near $9,000 30+ years ago. They're very rare in North America today. One guy had put a VR6 in one!