Anyone from TX/OK going to TDIFEST 2005

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Tornado Red
Moderators pls feel free to move this post should you feel appropriate, BUT, can we get an ideas as to if anyone from Texas or Oklahoma is planning to attend the TDIFest.

I know we have a few days left, but if we can gather a team of people, may be, more would be willing to join.

Thanks

whiterabbit7

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS 201k miles
I am planning on attending my third fest. I'm not actually in OK or TX, but for those who dont know, Joplin is about 5 minutes from Kansas and 15 from OK.
After driving 27 1/2 hours last year this will be a nice break. I figure it should take only 10 hours from here.

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
Perhaps get a meeting point/s planned and get a caravan going? I don't know if you're planing on driving it straight through or making an overnight stop or two? Who ever is the furthest away, perhaps post where you'll be stopping overnight and maybe get a gathering together? Up to you and just a thought. See you at the 2005 TDI Fest! Later, Jeff

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

I'm interested in a possible caravan from Texas. Although I'm posting from VA, my VERY LOOSE plan is to swing by my parents' place near Austin for a two week visit. I can't afford both a trip to TX AND a trip to WI. So, I may combine them into one big trip. Anyway, from there I'd like to try to make it to Kansas City... about 750-miles. It's a bit of a stretch. But the remaining 550-miles the following day will come more easily.

I have two odd goals during this long adventure:

1) Pass through TN and AR on my way to TX;

2) Pass through OK and at least SOME of NE along my way to the Fest;

3) Make it to the Fest on Friday (a bit prohibitive for some potenial caravaners who actually work for a living);
and

4) Drive through at least part of MI along my way back to VA.

This whacky trip will allow me to tack another six states to my "States Traveled" map:

Although NE is already darkened, I later realized that I did NOT enter NE since I never crossed the river into Omaha. Instead, I must've traveled along Omaha's outskirts. So a little dip into NE will satisfy my sick little quest.

There's still LOTS of time to plan. So I remain flexible, even to the point of dropping the whole thing if necessary.

Take Care,

Scott

whiterabbit7

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS 201k miles
From Joplin the fastest route is through St. Louis. 647mi. Which goes right past the Arch if anyone hasnt ever seen it. But, it looks just like it does on TV. Nothing special. It is better to see coming from the other way anyhow. Especailly at night coming across the river. The shorter trip, 616mi, is north through KC and across IA. You'd probably get better mileage going that way too, if anyone thinks about that. And that route would have less traffic. But driving through IA is boring. Now that I think about it, so is MO,KS,and NE.

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I'm thinking about going. Haven't decided if we'll drive or fly, as we have familiy in Wisconsin.

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
Hmmm... for now, we're planning on going - already have a room reserved. Current tentative plans are to leave San Antonio Thursday morning, and leave Wisconsin Sunday some time for the trip back. I guess the rest is mutable at this point.

JetSat

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Gray
I am thinking about going. I will be leaving from Arlington TX. Let me know what you all decide and what time and day you think you will be hitting I-20 and I might join the caravan.

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
Hello all,
Just a friendly reminder, if you've registered and haven't paid (either through PayPal or by check) please do so ASAP. We need to be sure and let the folks supplying food (amongst other items like t-shirts, sizes, etc.) know a head count and quantities. We want to ensure that everyone gets what they are asking for and paying for and we are striving not to dissappoint anyone. Thanks, Jeff

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
Hmmm... for now, we're planning on going - already have a room reserved. Current tentative plans are to leave San Antonio Thursday morning, and leave Wisconsin Sunday some time for the trip back. I guess the rest is mutable at this point.
So near and yet so far...

I have had to call and cancel our room at the host hotel for TDI Fest, so if anyone needs a room, there's an extra one there now!

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
Just signed up to go. Will get hotel in the morning.
I was just up in Grand Portage Minnesota and Pictured Rocks
Nat,Park Michigan in July so what is another 2000 miles or so. I hope I win the too slow category.

JetSat

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Gray
2slow, what day and time are you planning to leave the Dallas area? I am still planning, the wife has not decided whether she wants to go with me or not.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
I will leave Friday around 1 am. I have to work thursday.
It takes 15 hrs to get there so I will get there just on time. Let me know if you want to caravan, just PM me.