anyone from central Illinois?

ujaku

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW GTI, no more TDI for me
I may be relocating to Champain-Urbana, IL in the near future for a new job...I've never been there and have no idea what it's like...all I know is that there's a fairly big college there.

any natives from these parts care to fill me in on the local culture/people/living expenses/etc.?

much thanks!

|edit| also I thought it would be good to get some action going on the 'misc' forums area

[ January 23, 2003, 18:39: Message edited by: ujaku ]

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Don't expect much from the scenery. During winter you can see all the way to the horizon in any direction without anything getting in your way. During summer cornstalks obscure the view.

University of Illinois turn C-U into a typical college town. There isn't much there otherwise.

TDICLUB members are located in central IL. jpmurphy in Decatur, TDI_ESEL in Bloomington-Normal, and a few other rare posters are around there. I pass through fairly frequently.

A little further north are other members. You'll be able to get with Chicago area members easier than from TN, too.

Cost of living is avg for towns of that size. Probably about the same or a little less than where you are leaving.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
I grew up in Champaign. Champaign and Urbana are great towns. Easy access to events, art scene, music & stuff that's there because of the University. Lots of events coming through & ease of access compared to large cities & of course, easy on the wallet. My Ma constantly reminds me how it's been listed several times as the most or one of the most affordable cities in the country. Decent public school system, decent community symphony, decent, laid back local folk, interesting laid back Univerity folk,nice older neighborhoods, nice newer and new construction neighborhoods. Reasonably well-integrated per my exerience. Nice balance between University and local business community. In recent years lots of funky little busiesses, eg. boutiques, restaurants, coffeshops, bars have established in the fomerly dying downtown Champaign area. Lots of tree-lined brick streets with restored vintage streetlights. Urbana is cool too. Did I mention it's a great town?

ujaku

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW GTI, no more TDI for me
thanks for the replies guys! I'll keep them in mind when I head on up for a visit in Feb.

Hey Larry - are there any good VW service shops in town that you use? I just had my last free service and it would be good to know...

CHEMVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS (back in the family), 2002 Jetta GL (sold)
I live in Champaign. I realize this thread is ancient, but I haven't been in this part of the forum before. I moved here back in 2001 and am attending the University. I have met a few other people here on the forum, Larry being one of them. As far as good service places around, I would have to say a big fat wapping NO!!! on that one. My friend works at the VW dealership in town and he can't stand their service dept. I have been there many times to have warranty work done, and I really don't like the hastle of going. They aren't that bad I guess, just makes me twinge to think I have to take my car there. Larry knows a guy in St. Louis he told me about that works on his TDIs. I do as much of my own work as possible. I would be happy to help you out with any oil change, fuel filters, air filter, most any of the routine stuff I do myself and have the tools for. It's the big stuff like TBelt and what not that I go to University Auto Park for, and dread it all the way. Welcome to the town if you are here.

Chemvw

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
CHEMVW, I frequent central IL several times a year. I've been known to pack timing belt change tools too. I know of one person in Maroa now, or at least the last time I heard from him. There are others in Bloomington, Decatur, Springfield and Streator.

I passed through last weekend too.

Larry Larson

Veteran Member
I've got some good news for those of us in Champaign-Urbana. I've been using an excellent independent diesel mechanic for my Mercedes 300TD over the last 2 years and he's willing to get up to speed on any issues that are unique to the TDI. He previously worked as one of the top mechanics at the best independent shop in town, and now he has his own business. He's a young guy, (late 30's) but he's "old school". In other words, he actually knows what he's doing and likes to fix things as opposed to just throwing parts at a car. I've sold the MB and was there yesterday for my last repair on it by him. I was bemoaning the fact that I'd no longer have an excuse to hand around at his shop and we got to talking about TDI's. Before he invests in any specialized tools he'd like to know that he'd have a TDI customer base. I highly recommend this guy and would like for us to support him if possible. Let me know what you all think. Larry

CHEMVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Larry,

I would definitely give him my business. I have seen quite a few TDIs in town, and would think if he got the word out he would have business.

MOGOLF, if you have VAG-COM and you are coming through, send me an email please, I need to have the EGR recal done and I wanted to also check and see how other things are looking. My next TB isn't for a while, but thanks for the offer.

Chemvw

Larry Larson

Veteran Member
Tim,
I saw Bernie the mechanic today and he's ready to get a VAG COM and get started. My Jetta CEL has been on for a while and I assume it's related to the glow plug harness. Since you've got some issues too it may be a good time to get started with him. Maybe I could take you over to meet him sometime if you wanted to. Let me know. Larry

CHEMVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Larry,

Sounds great! Go ahead and send me an email sometime when you want to meet. I will be out of town this weekend (Nov 8-9) back on Tues or Wed. I will be taking the Golf on the trip. Gotta get new tires before I go, any suggestions? My car is driving fine, but I would be happy to meet the mechanic, and let him play with his new Vag-Com on my car. I would like to see the Vag-com as well.

Tim

boisebiker

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 428k, 1997 Passat 230k
I recently picked up a TDI and live in Mt. Vernon but I have a brother in Champaign so I get up there every few months. I too would be interested in a GTG in this area.

redveedub87

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I live near C-U and go to school at the local college for diesel mechanic. It's not a bad place to live.

leftovers

TDI
passat
Dead Passat

Live near Peoria Illinois. Have a 1996 Passat TDI with a leaky fuel injector. Need help. THANKS!!

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Just got back from Piper City, IL where my grandparents live. Everybody in the family has a TDI.

ShaneShelley234

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 5 speed manual (DVZ)
Down South in Marion, IL here. In contact with a few others trying to set up a GTG in IL or IN