Anyone ever heard of an SAGW flywheel?

crisp006

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I was under the impression that Southbend clutches for these cars are made up entirely of Sachs components (a Sachs pressure plate, flywheel, and Sachs clutch disc w/a modified disc surface).

I ordered a stage 2 daily southbend clutch kit from idparts, and, while the pressure plate and clutch disc are Sachs, the SMF is branded as “SAGW”.

Has anyone ever heard of these SAGW flywheels or have any more info (e.g. where they’re made?) I know it’s just a solid hunk of metal so I’m not particularly worried or anything, just curious.

I was told by someone at idparts that the SBC flywheel and the “standard” flywheel (which I opted for) were the same, save for (I believe... memory is fuzzy) some paint or coating.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
yeah SB uses chinesium flywheels...i've replaced a couple with broken ring gear teeth as apparently they are not up the task.
SBC buys the 5 speed ring gears from VW. VW supplied them with a defective batch a while ago. They would have warrantied yours if you'd contacted them. They swapped out our flywheel stock when they discovered the defects.