Anyone ever considered swapping a DSG out of a New Beetle into a MKIV Jetta/Golf?

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
So I started TDI life in a beetle, and now that I am in a Jetta for the kiddos (Jettarrr as my 3 year old calls it :D ) I think about some of the things that the Beetles offered in the MKIV platform that the Jetta and Golf did not.

The most desireable of which is DSG. Now I know all of the pros and cons, and that according to most gurus, the 09A in my '04 is about the best I can ask for all things considered when you factor in longevity and possible replacement price, etc.

However, if you have ever driven a DSG, you know just how much fun that trans is. Its really the best "automatic" (yes I know it isnt one) trans I have ever driven. Whereas the 09A, while reliable and gets the job done, well... its just not. The tiptronic function might as well not be there, because it just doesnt do right.

Anywho, back on track. The 04-06 Beetle, offered the DSG behind what I assume is a BEW, at least for 04-05. Did the 06 use a BRM? Has anyone looked at doing this? Previously the thought was that you couldnt swap a MKV DSG because of the ECU issues, but could an 04 Beetle DSG ECU be made to work?

Look forward to reading others thoughts...

Cheers

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The DSG case is specific to the NB. There would be some sort of issue I'm sure.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Installation would be the easy part. Making the electronics work would be difficult to impossible.

PD car that might have a comparable Beetle car to swap electronics with might be doable but very difficult.

NON-PD car (ALH) that never came in a beetle with a DSG would be impossible without programming intervention, and would likely be impossible.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
However, if you have ever driven a DSG, you know just how much fun that trans is...
Driven lots of them, and if making me want to punch kittens out of frustration is "fun", then yes, I guess it is fun.

Fun is a proper manual transmission with 3 pedals, thanks. :p

But, to answer your question, you could probably use most of the NB's mechanical bits, the hard part I think would be the wiring as well as the cluster. The NB's wiring is different 'just enough' from the G/J due to the arrangement of some components that it would probably be difficult to get it all sorted.

Now in Europe, the previous generation R32 Golf was available with the DSG, so perhaps some bits from it, but there again, the engine is totally different. Oh, and there is no 'DSG ECU', it is integral with the $3000 Mechatronics unit in the front of the transmission.

jasonTDI

TDI
Plus the ECU is different. I think not really possible. The Beetle DSG is different than ther G/J.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Doesn't the transmission have its own control module external to the ECU/ECM/PCM w/ever its called?

What I'm reading into this question, I could be wrong though, is that you think since it has its own computer, it would be easy to drop it in there and wire in the computer. If I reading this question right then my answer would be, "You need to understand how much communicating goes on between the various computers." So you'll need a engine computer, and maybe others that is set up to communicate with the new trans computer.

This is why the swap would be difficult to impossible unless your starting with an engine that was used bolted to a dsg (somewhere). After rereading the 1st post your simply asking about a mk4. If you started with a 2004 mk4 jetta with a PD, you probably could swap in the computer, harness and dsg trans from a beetle.

Last edited:

RDA3440

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Sort of... I think more accurately my question would be is the communication protocol used between the ECU and the transmission controller so different? Or is there code in the ECU itself relevant to the specific type of transmission (4sp auto vs. 5sp auto etc...)? Meaning the ECU is passing more than just 'shift up' 'shift down' 'lock converter' etc... (over simplified)

I think ultimately unless I am willing to experiment this project won't be cost feasible (not necessarily impossible)...

Thanks for the reply!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is a lot more involved with the various modules, is what Richard is saying. It is not just a deal with the engine and transmission controllers, but things like the ABS, the Instrument cluster, CAN Gateway, etc.

Since there was no A4 plaform Golf or Jetta with a DSG sold here, the bits needed would be next to impossible to source. It would be a mountain of work for very little payoff, other than the novelty.

jasonTDI

TDI
An auto for an auto....not worth it.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
There's an option for a DSG trans in a BEW Jetta ECU. I found that out after poking around with VCDS and in the coding helper, one of the codes were for a DSG trans.

ZiggyoftheNorth

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
If it came in an A4 Beetle, what you might need is an entire parts car if you can find one with that set up. I'm sure you can make it work and it might be fairly simple. If you have a parts car, you can get the additional parts and wiring you may need.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
If it came in an A4 Beetle, what you might need is an entire parts car if you can find one with that set up. I'm sure you can make it work and it might be fairly simple. If you have a parts car, you can get the additional parts and wiring you may need.

That's what you would think....I was hoping someone on tdi.club had done this and would speak up.

I haven't been able to find any other threads on this.

I was even wondering if you could wire up a dsg to shift "manually".....say with a toggle switch set up......no tcm.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
You ever drive an auto that had a manual shift lever? Most annoying to drive car ever. Usually only used in drag applications. Just my ¢2

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I bought an '04 Beetle with a bad DSG. There wasn't a mectronic unit available at that time or a direct replacement. The trans guy contacted VW and they offered him a different version DSG that they reprogramed to work with my car(its been 5 years and 80k now). If there were Jettas with the option, there is a possibility that the dealer could reprogram what ever is necessary to make it work. I would start with someone at the dealership that kind of knows what is going on. There will be software in the trans mectronic unit and the ECM that will have to match.

ZiggyoftheNorth

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Looking at the wiring diagrams, it looks like most parts are the same as either a manual or auto. The cluster may be unique. It displays which gear you are in like a tiptronic. Perhaps a cluster for an automatic would work but need coded for the DSG. The Bentley manual doesn't give part numbers unfortunately.