Anyone else have disappearing posts?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I've had this happen twice now, at first I thought maybe I hadn't clicked on the post button by accident but now after a second time I don't think that's it.

Anyone else see any posts of theirs missing? I'm not talking about threads, just posts in threads.

And I appreciate Fred upgrading the forum software, don't get me wrong, but the new software has some odd behaviors that I don't find all that great. If you click on notifications in the top to see what's there (or PM's) one would think you'd click again to get rid of it, but no it takes you to a page with a list of notifications on it. I'm not inclined to like this, it seems contrary to what other SM applications do in this instance.

At any rate, mostly curious about whether others have lost posts of theirs in threads.

Steve

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I know I've mistakenly hit the PREVIEW button a couple times and then came back and realized I hadn't actually hit the correct POST REPLY.
That is simply poor UI design from Xenforo. Those buttons should be placed further apart, and / or different size/shapes to reflect their different functions.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I know I've mistakenly hit the PREVIEW button a couple times and then came back and realized I hadn't actually hit the correct POST REPLY.
That is simply poor UI design from Xenforo. Those buttons should be placed further apart, and / or different size/shapes to reflect their different functions.
I agree, I am less inclined to like this UI vs the old one. There's also some function weirdness with the new that wasn't there with the old one, and as you said the placement of the buttons clustered together at the lower right is annoying and just plain dumb.

I'm still convinced that there was something weird going on though, my post disappeared and the one that I had responded to is no where to be found either. I suppose that a moderator could have taken issue with my post but typically that would have involved a warning of some sort in addition to the vanishing post. Perhaps I've forgotten where the post actually was...who knows.

Thanks for the comment though, and I agree, the new isn't necessarily better in this case, which reminds me of a quote I heard recently:

"Where it's not necessary to change, it's necessary not to change." Lucius Cary

Steve

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Hi Steve,

I moved this topic where I'm more likely to see it. Do you have an example of the content? I'm trying to verify if this is an actual loss of data or if the issue rests more with the UI and the post never got posted. If you have an exact example I can track back, I can check what happened.

As for moving to a new system, staying on the old one was no longer an option. The change was done more out of necessity that wanting the latest new thing.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
As for moving to a new system, staying on the old one was no longer an option. The change was done more out of necessity that wanting the latest new thing.
Out of curiosity, what version of vBulletin were you using before? What was/is wrong with vBulletin 5.6.x?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Well they ARE different shades of blue at least.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hi Steve,

I moved this topic where I'm more likely to see it. Do you have an example of the content? I'm trying to verify if this is an actual loss of data or if the issue rests more with the UI and the post never got posted. If you have an exact example I can track back, I can check what happened.

Unfortunately I do not, it was a semi-long post but the content I do not remember although I was venting a little about something IIRC. The first missing post is even more remote and it was shorter but the content alas I don't remember either.

I just remember with some certainty that it posted and then when I went back it was gone...which seemed odd. The first time it happened I chalked it up to the new UI and let it go, but the second time I was in some respects waiting for it to happen again...at which time I posted up about it.

Thanks
Steve A

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Quick, without looking - which one is POST lighter or darker? ;)

That plays into the confusion; it's not that they look the same - they obviously don't - but rather that you're not subconsciously drawn to the default (which I think would be POST).

And for the record, that is pure nit-picking on my part; the upgrade and options available here is definitely worth the trivial growing pains. Less than stellar UX design? Meh - we'll figure it out and get used to it.

Thanks for the comment though, and I agree, the new isn't necessarily better in this case, which reminds me of a quote I heard recently: "Where it's not necessary to change, it's necessary not to change." Lucius Cary
In addition to Fred's assertions on the necessity of upgrading, I'd argue that there are two unassailable reasons for upgrading:
1. Mobile-responsive design and interface, both for reading and posting
2. Security / privacy capabilities.

And I'll throw in a bonus benefit: auto-easy photo-resizing. No more having someone post an image from their 18MP phone camera, that's 4000px wide which blows out the width of the UI to 4x the width of a typical computer.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
@Steve Addy have you experienced any possible lost posts since this thread was started?
I've not had any recently, then again I haven't been around as much due to other things, but the little bit that I've done haven't noticed anything going away! Still trying to remember the content of the post that did vanish...bits and pieces but nothing of consequence. Also trying to remember the post that it was in response to but nothing there yet either.

Steve

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I had one deleted by a moderator last week. Check the little bell at the top of the page. It will alert you to a message from the moderator with a red mark. In my case, I had mistakenly responded to a very old thread/post so the moderator deleted my post and told me why. He did offer to reinstate it if I wanted.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Yes, in that case a spammer replied to an old post and all the subsequent posts were about the spammers post, so I removed the posts (and notified the posters) what happened.

Please let me know if you see any other strange behaviors as in the past month we have done a complete migration of both software and now infrastructure. I am in the process of tweaking both major changes as well.