Anyone else had this issue?

14TDiMan

TDI
14 Passat TDi SEL Premium DSG
Hello all. My '14 Passat TDi went to the dealer for some maintenance and a couple of issues. The one that they found while fixing one of the known issues seems odd.
The cam sensor seal was leaking oil and was thought to have contaminated the sensor causing my occasional start then stall issue. Totally random but would happen once a week or so. While the tech was replacing the seal he noted the timing was off by 1/2-1 tooth. The consensus seems to be that the timing belt has stretched causing the timing to be off a bit and in turn causing the engine to stall on start up every now and then. No CEL but did have a pending code for cam sensor performance/correlation. My dealer is currently working on getting this issue covered as it did not throw the CEL on the dash. Car has 78k on it, so I expressed to the dealer that the emissions warranty should cover the timing belt replacement since it is premature failure of the belt and also not allowing the engine to run at peak efficiency. This also makes sense because my fuel economy has been less than stellar over the last few months. (Around 29mpg in mixed driving)
I also have noticed very light but noticeable diesel nailing at light throttle. No injector codes so I am hopeful the timing being off may be causing this.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? Thanks for any and all replies.
BTW, dealer has already stated they are pushing for TB, water pump, tensioner and idler replacement as a total repair.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Best of luck, seems like only a stored code will be the true solution for warranty to help you out. Similar to leaking water pumps causing TB failures, VWoA washes their hands of it as no codes stored.

Also dealers love to pit VWoA as the bad guy when warranties are picking up the dime.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I had the water pump replaced on my 14 passat tdi under powertrain warranty at 53k, the timing and serpentine belts were replaced because both were contaminated with coolant. I paid for the tensioner and rollers, vw covered the rest.

14TDiMan

TDI
Dealer called today to tell me VWoA is currently shut down due to unforseen conditions. Whatever that means. So, still waiting on a decision. Service advisor did ask me if I want them to go ahead and order the parts just in case they say no. Suggested I could pay for the service just in case. I said no, this is a covered repair under the dieselgate warranty. While the light may not be on, the code is still in the ECM and pending active. We will see what happens. If VWoA does say no to the repair the dealer will set the timing correctly and put it back together. At that point I will wait for the CEL to come on then drive it straight to the dealer.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i fear you'll be driving off waiting for the code to pop up.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Due to the chip shortage, most auto manufaturers are shut down. Not sure why that would include the office folks, but then we are talking about German unions.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Dealer called today to tell me VWoA is currently shut down due to unforseen conditions.
I don't know what this means. VW's parts and dealer network is most certainly not shut down. They did have a fire at the assembly plant back in July, maybe that's what they're refrring to.

14TDiMan

TDI
Update to those who are interested:
VWoA is covering the stretched timing belt. They are also covering the water pump, idlers, and belt tensioner. I am pleased to report that VW has done the right thing. I would also like to give a shout out to my dealer (D-Patrick VW) for going to bat for me and helping to get this covered. The parts shortages have caused my vehicle to be in the shop for nearly a month now, but that is understandable as I am a Heavy Duty (Big Rig) diesel tech and we are also struggling with parts availability.
Hope this helps anyone out there who experiences a similar failure get the coverage they should.