Anyone else getting hit up by dealers asking to buy their TDI back?

Louczar

TDI
2012 Jetta
I have received letters in the mail AND phone calls from the dealer I bought my 2012 TDI from and the dealer where I have had service done asking me if I am interested in selling my car back to them for "over current market value".

I know that lots of dealers will do this type of marketing in attempts to get people to buy another new car.

I was just wondering if anyone else (TDi owners) was getting hit up and if it was more of a VW/TDI thing right now?

Ernst2009

TDI
2009 Jetta Comfortline TDI
Buy back

Hi there.
I was looking through the forum and found this thread.
I got a call yesterday from a call center in Canada here. Stating VW wants to buy back my car. 2009 Jetta Comfortline TDI with 198,000 KM on it.

Trade value plus 3k from dealer plus UP to 7k from VW and they made an appointment for me tomorrow at the dealer to crunch the numbers.

I like the UP to 7K from VW probably for a Toureg.

I will see what they do on the Golf wagon TDI 5 speed.

Anyone else getting VW fishing for buisness?

Ernst.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Normal marketing for any manufacturer's dealer. I used to get calls from the sales force every time I brought my Ford in for service - because of its age.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Normal marketing for any manufacturer's dealer. I used to get calls from the sales force every time I brought my Ford in for service - because of its age.
Yup. It has nothing to do with used TDI's and everything to do with trying to convince you to buy a new car.

wrc777

TDI
2014 Jetta TSI
It could be a normal dealer sales tactic. However the last time I got a call like that I wound up getting not only a stupidly low price on a new Wrangler but I also got a trade in value on my old one that was about what I paid new for it from the same dealer.

Sometimes dealers just want to move inventory at any price. It is rare but it does happen, and it would not surprise me to see this from VW given the diesel issues.

Louczar

TDI
2012 Jetta
Sometimes dealers just want to move inventory at any price. It is rare but it does happen, and it would not surprise me to see this from VW given the diesel issues.
I was thinking that maybe this was a possible case. I really dont want to give up my 42-44 MPG avg on every tank and the close to 50MPG on constant hwy driving for anything else they offer...

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Happens nearly every time I go into a dealership to pick up parts and slow down long enough for a salesman to talk to me. All models, before and after emissions drama. Get letters and emails too.

They want to sell cars, it's what they do and what one should expect them to do. If you believe it's beneficial to you, go in there and try to sell it to them, outright, and state you're absolutely not interested in buying anything else. Then decide if it's too good to turn the deal down.

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Nope, they just keep calling me to let me know there is an "update" for my car and ask if I want to bring it in. I respectfully decline each time and politely asked if they'd stop calling me about it.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I have received these over the years. My friend who was disgusted with VW
and his TDI Golf turbo failure dumped it and bought a big Ram R/T truck.
He still gets the dealer sending reminders to service his car or buy his car.
It is what is called "COLD CALLS" and you are their mail list...

I also get emails for lowering student loan debt (been out of Under Grad
decades ago and paid for myself in full as I went along.) Grad school was
also paid by me, while I went, in part by my company at the time. (Of course
university cost have gone crazy over the last 30 years. It use to be affordable.
Now... not so much. I think universities have become too much big business.

I get solicitations for your "car warranty will run out soon act now". My warranty
expired long ago and I would never buy these crap products.

I get solicitations for lower home mortgage. I have very low interest and will
pay my house off in a few years....

I just got one of those, I need your help to get money out of some country
and trust you. For my trouble I get 15%. I've not seen one of these in years.
These scams were big 5 or more years ago, the proverbial nigerian prince bs.

On and on....

What is new I am getting more solicitations on my cell, which I have had for
20 years. For 18 years no unwanted calls. Now I get one a week on average.

Last edited:

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
just be like me.. sexually harrass all telemarketers... boy girl does not matter... make it fun... as they warn me im being recorded.. i remind them who called who.. one day one will win millions for sexual harrassment cause their boss forces them to make calls.. ending telemarketing forever

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just consider the dealer calls to be the same as the Sexual Harassment Panda and just ignore and move on. Dealer salesman can be such a pile of poo.

bwilson4web

TDI
17 Prius Prime, 14 BMW i3-REx
Just curious:
Turns out to be on the purchase of a gas model only. Not interested.
If VW offered a new, compliant, same model and options VW as a straight trade, would you take it?

If VW let you upgrade the car at 'employee pricing', would that be something you could accept?

Bob Wilson

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Just curious:

If VW offered a new, compliant, same model and options VW as a straight trade, would you take it?

If VW let you upgrade the car at 'employee pricing', would that be something you could accept?

Bob Wilson
My $.02...I want an Amarok TDI or Passat Wagon TDI. With or without AWD (on the Passat).

If they brought something over here that I was interested in...sure...I'd consider it. At this point though, VW's lineup is along the lines of the old Ford Model T joke. "You can have any color, as long as it's black." In this case...it's "You can have any car you want, as long as it's one that we feel like making available you."

ASMotorhead

TDI
Golf MKVII
My dealer knows not to ask me that but they are buying all newer TDIs they can. They cant keep them on the lot. The used ones are selling better than they ever have. At least that's what they told me.

bwilson4web

TDI
17 Prius Prime, 14 BMW i3-REx
My dealer knows not to ask me that but they are buying all newer TDIs they can. They cant keep them on the lot. The used ones are selling better than they ever have. At least that's what they told me.
Excellent! As long as 'land sharks' are not buying them. <wink>

Bob Wilson

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
Those trade in numbers sound really enticing but most import is to do YOUR RESEARCH!! Follow the money! Dealerships are making an all out effort to "tap" into the profits Used Car dealerships (i.e. Carmax) have exploited for years - search the internet. Bottom line here is there is allot of money to be made when you trade your old vehicle for a new one. Next, when that new car leaves the lot it's value drops 20-25% and you have an avg car payment of ~$460 a month for 70 months you get fleeced again!! Drive that VW to the grave and squeeze every bit of value out of it you can.....cars are a big long term expense.

TxTDINerd

TDI
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI
Carmax made the purchase fairly painless for purchasing. However, for a warranty TSB the Arlington, Texas dealership I took my JSW torqued me off but good by not letting me know the status and me wondering if I needed to get a loaner for an appointment I needed to get to. The Fort Worth, Texas dealer did keep me aware of progress on my 80,000 service and new tire install plus made right the sunroof lube that at first appeared not to be done during the service.

No one has bothered me with wanting to buy my JSW, so I count myself lucky.

EarlBurner14

TDI
2014 Passat tdi
New Jersey can't sell them and the dealers wont take them in. Go figure I live in the toxic state and now they're becoming all holier than thou about my little 2.0 oil burner- Really? how about all of the Military vehicles that go screaming up and down the NJ Turnpike - No filters on them! Any Diesel truck in this state is "exempt" from any EPA regulations. They trick them out, run open pipes and blow tons of black soot into the air and we get the nasty looks. Elon Musk has the right idea. Leave us alone and make VW use the fines to invest in future technology.

GrndZero

TDI
2015 GSW-SE6spd
just be like me.. sexually harrass all telemarketers... boy girl does not matter... make it fun... as they warn me im being recorded.. i remind them who called who.. one day one will win millions for sexual harrassment cause their boss forces them to make calls.. ending telemarketing forever
Thanks for this post. Had a good laugh. :D

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Yes, I got my letter in the mail 2 weeks ago

At the right price my car is-might be-could be ~`~` for sale.

I bought my car from a dealer (about) 365 miles away

They delivered it to my drive way (NEW) :D

I told them to come and look, and make me an offer.

answer zzzzzzzzzzzz

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
It has nothing to do with TDIs

I received the letter, called my stealer and was told by the dingbat that answered the phone that because of the TDI "scam" she would have to call me back. Of course she never did.
These are computer-generated generic mailings for the sole purpose of drumming up sales.
The "goodwill" package is all that prevents me from ranting at length. Hush money, if you will.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I have received these over the years. My friend who was disgusted with VW
and his TDI Golf turbo failure dumped it and bought a big Ram R/T truck.
He still gets the dealer sending reminders to service his car or buy his car.
It is what is called "COLD CALLS" and you are their mail list...

I also get emails for lowering student loan debt (been out of Under Grad
decades ago and paid for myself in full as I went along.) Grad school was
also paid by me, while I went, in part by my company at the time. (Of course
university cost have gone crazy over the last 30 years. It use to be affordable.
Now... not so much. I think universities have become too much big business.
Please don't remind me. I'll be paying my student loans for a long time (on 1 undergrad and 2 grad degrees).

I get solicitations for your "car warranty will run out soon act now". My warranty
expired long ago and I would never buy these crap products.

I get solicitations for lower home mortgage. I have very low interest and will
pay my house off in a few years....

I just got one of those, I need your help to get money out of some country
and trust you. For my trouble I get 15%. I've not seen one of these in years.
These scams were big 5 or more years ago, the proverbial nigerian prince bs.

On and on....

What is new I am getting more solicitations on my cell, which I have had for
20 years. For 18 years no unwanted calls. Now I get one a week on average.
Yup, same here. Had the same number for 15 years and been getting a plethora of telemarketing calls for the past 2 years.

Already do things along those lines. Or string them along for about 5-7 minutes (if I happen to be on the road and have free time on my hands), and then piss them off somehow. It's great when the telemarketer actually cusses you out for wasting their time, while I'm just laughing on my end.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
To the original question ... I'd love for the dealer to call me. If they don't, I'll be exploring new to me vehicle options in the spring. I've had a VW for 16 years. I'm done.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I do several different things to telemarketers, depending on what I'm doing when the call. The easiest is to respond to the pleasantries and let them launch into their spiel. Then I just put the phone down and hang it up after they've hung up on me.

I got to play a couple of the "Windows Support" scammers for chumps a while ago. When they told me that their monitors indicated that my computer was infected with a virus, I sounded concerned. Then I told them that the PC was upstairs and I'd have to go upstairs and boot it up. They said they'd wait. I put down the phone, and eventually got the tone to indicate they'd hung up. A minute or two after I hung it up, it rang again: it was the "Windows Support" clown stating that we'd gotten cut off. But that only worked a couple of times.