Anyone else being short changed on Mileage?

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I'll say it one more time. The difference is due to the adjustment to the minimum $5,100 Restitution. If your base restitution is $5,100 or above then your calculation works perfectly because it contains BOTH the mileage adjustment for the vehicle value and the mileage adjustment for the restitution value without counting it twice. Keep in mind. If you were only doing the fix, the amount you receive for the "Modification/Restitution" value is adjusted by the mileage. You don't get to dip into that adjustment twice when that value is below $5,100.

Here is your specific example if you had taken the fix. (assuming it would ever be offered).

Modification Base => $4636.73
Mileage Adjustment => $4636.73 + $50 (right out of the tables)
Mileage Adjusted Modification Value =>$4686
Since $4,686 < $5,100 you get $5,100

Here is what you are asking VW to reimburse you for the restitution portion of your buyback.

Modification base adjusted to $5,100 + $50 mileage adjustment => $5,150

Like I said, even though it isn't explicitly defined in the tables, the $300 mileage adjustment is split between the vehicle and the restitution. $250 is applied towards the vehicle value and $50 towards the restitution. If you're above $5,100 it doesn't factor into the calculation because they don't give it to you twice. If you're below $5,100 it only gets factored into the calculations once. And as I stated, the lower your restitution value, the greater the adjustment, and thus the difference between your two offers. Also like I said before, I understand your logic, but it's flawed. The settlement paragraph does not address the calculation for the "restitution adjustment" which is exactly where your missing $50.00 goes. That calculation is not in conflict with the quoted paragraph.

Last edited:

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Can you remind me again where you are getting that the mileage numbers are adjusted directly by the restitution? ( the $50?)

Every document I have read (not looking at Cheat sheet, predone calculation tables) states that the definition of vehicle value = Nada + mileage. Then the restitution is applied to the vehicle value.

I have seen nothing that says mileage is directly modified by anything.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Every document I have read (not looking at Cheat sheet, predone calculation tables) states that the definition of vehicle value = Nada + mileage.
Which of the settlement agreements says this? Because the FTC Consent Order defines the restitution specifically by reference to the tables. IOW, the tables are the official amounts for the purpose of the FTC Consent Order; they aren't "cheat sheets".

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Can you remind me again where you are getting that the mileage numbers are adjusted directly by the restitution? ( the $50?)
Like Dan said, the tables aren't "cheat sheets" they define the methodology for calculating your modification and buyback values.

Again, right from the court approved settlement documents. This little calculation removes the double dipping of the mileage adjustment for the Modification amount. The "missing" $50.00 is accounted for in the below calcuation.

If the Modification amount from (5) above is less than $5,100:
a. Subtract the Modification amount from (5) from $5,100.
b. For Buyback: Add the result from (a) to the number from (5) above.
This is your Mileage‐Adjusted Buyback Amount.
c. For Modification: Add the result from (a) to the number from (5) above.
This is your Mileage‐Adjusted Modification Amount.

Last edited:

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Here is the mileage adjustment instruction directly from the Approved attachment 2B

Attachment 2B: Beetle and Jetta Mileage Adjustment Table
1. Check your vehicle's current mileage.
(EX: If the current month is October 2016, multiply 13 months x 1,042 = 13,546)
2. Based on the current month, multiply the number of months since September 2015 by 1,042
3. Subtract the number from (2) from your current mileage to get your Adjusted Mileage .
4. Find your Adjusted Mileage in the chart below, and locate the corresponding adjustment amount for your vehicle's model year.
5. Add or subtract the adjustment dollar amount to your Buyback or Modification amount from Attachment 1A.
6. If the modification amount from (5) is less than $5,100, see Further Adjustment at the end of this table. (This also applies to Buyback).
Otherwise, the result from (5) is your Mileage‐Adjusted Buyback or Modification Amount.

Number 6 brings you to the calculation in my last post.

Last edited: