Anyone else annoyed with the new oil filter cartridge location on the new TDI's? ....

2002_tdinut

TDI
Looking for a new TDI ...
Looks like no more topside filter changes on the TDI's. I am considering a 2016 Golf Sportwagen TDI and see that it's almost impossible to get at the filter. I like doing my own maintenance, but I don't think I'll be able to anymore. Should I be concerned? What are your thoughts/feelings about the new filter location?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The car has to be raised up for PM anyways, what's the big deal?

I would get the special filter drain tool, it has been around a while (some gas engines use them) and it makes the job much less messy.

2015 GOLF TDI S

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
The car has to be raised up for PM anyways, what's the big deal?

I would get the special filter drain tool, it has been around a while (some gas engines use them) and it makes the job much less messy.
I can't find the oil filter housing tool(adapter anywhere). I checked on ID Parts no luck, I googled no luck. I checked Youtube they have for I think it was for Jetta. I checked with the dealer I just got my oil change they have no clue.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
2015 TDI filter canister is different. I don't think that tool will fit. We've been researching this and are looking into having one made for us. I agree the change is a step backwards: MKIV cars are so easy, even though I always drain the oil from the pan anyway.

2015 GOLF TDI S

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
i have not verified, but that tool is the one that they've had for a decade now for the other engines.

I'll find out soon enough, as we have a fleet of cars that have a few 2015s in the mix.
i looked at the oil filter housing on my car when dealer was doing oil change. Looks like oil drain adapater has a thread end that screws into oil filter housing. My oil filter housing doesn't have anything like that would thread into it. I wish i took a picture of the housing at the time.

oilhammer

TDI
There are two oil filter housing suppliers, Mahle and Hengst (for the CVCA engine). Maybe one has the drain and one does not? ETKA shows it has the drain. It looks just like a VR6 oil filter cap in the picture to me. And the oil filter should come with both o-rings.

Toyota filters come WITH a little throwaway plastic drain nozzle.

2015 GOLF TDI S

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
There are two oil filter housing suppliers, Mahle and Hengst (for the CVCA engine). Maybe one has the drain and one does not? ETKA shows it has the drain. It looks just like a VR6 oil filter cap in the picture to me. And the oil filter should come with both o-rings.

Toyota filters come WITH a little throwaway plastic drain nozzle.
2015 Golf TDI has EA288 egine.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
So far we've identified only one canister/cover/oil filter for the engine family. Looks like this.

There isn't a hole in the center of the drain plug.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, that looks exactly like a VR6 filter cap. The drain threads into the cap after the little plug is removed. However, if there is no drain valve inside then I guess the oil just drains out as soon as you remove the plug. It just would seem strange that they would do this after over a decade of making them differently. But with Volkswagen, nothing surprises me.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Wow. Still no, these are the easy steps for oil change? I'm staying tuned. All I gather from reading this is that the dealer could mess it up, and I can't explain to the dealer how to do it, and forget about a PEP boys OC. I have no idea what this thread is saying too right? So If buy the GSW I may buy, how do I get an OC?

Last edited:

2002_tdinut

TDI
Thank you everyone for the lively discussion. Looking forward to finding the proper drain tool. :D

Last edited:

2002_tdinut

TDI
Wow. Still no, these are the easy steps for oil change? I'm staying tuned. All I gather from reading this is that the dealer could mess it up, and I can't explain to the dealer how to do it, and forget about a PEP boys OC. I have no idea what this thread is saying too right? So If buy the GSW I may buy, how do I get an OC?

I may have to trust the dealer, or go to a local independent shop that I trust or will learn to trust.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Don't think the Metalnerd tool will work on the EA288. The 2.0T and 2.5 housings are different.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Any chance of putting a small amount of some sort of plastic friendly anti-seize on that filter drain plug thread? I could imagine that not wanting to spin after 100k miles of heat cycles.
Just did an oil/filter on an 05 BMW 745i the other day and it didn't want to move independent of the filter housing. The filter housing drain plug was a hex key, and turning it just turned the entire housing. Messy.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I can't say for sure what you mean by "nasty" lol, but compared to changing all sort of cars' oils I can't say this is the worst. It's got a few things in the way and without the nice tool to pre drain, it may be a bit messy but I'm used to getting dirty and working on cars so none of this concerns me. It does suck that years prior had it handy up top.

oilhammer

TDI
What is it about German engineering mindset that doesn't include spin-on filters.
Easier to crush out the oil out of a cartridge canister?
frank

Must be the same as Korean, American, Japanese, Swedish, and Italian. Because they all use them, too. Less waste? I like them, seem more environmentally friendly. Usually they are less messy, too.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
so there's a pre drain tool that makes it less messy. Then the difficulty is over? Just pre drain, and do the easy oc except just need to lift and switch a cartridge? Is it hard to open the cartridge canister or something? Need any other special tools? And the pre drain tool is otc at PEP boys? Is the cartridge otc at PEP Boys? The cartridge is the filter right? Are we still talking 10k oc interval?

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Who put the F*CK in tool?

There aint no F*CK in tool!

Exactly!

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm trying to get an abcd steps to an OC. There seems to be lack of consensus on it or something here. Anyone? Reason is I want to be able to explain to a dealer how to do it, or make sure the dealer (or some Jiffy Lube) is doing it correctly, at least try to know. Because it seems to be an unusual process of some kind, requiring a pre drain to avoid a mess, and maybe a difficult to open canister? Yes?

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1SwwbJ-f-8

look around 15 minutes.

the filter is mounted upside down from what it was in the last couple generations.

(only for new 2015 models) Did you get a new car? your profile still says 2006.

I would not take any TDI to a jiffy lube. sheesh.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I am in the manic test driving phase of what turned out to a purchase last time, but thanks for asking. I just want to know how to do the oil change for now, and so far with the 2006 Jiffy Lube has been ok. I bring them the oil and filter.

So you have a way to pre drain, then open the canister?