Anyone drill the roof of a 2019 Golf for an NMO antenna mount?

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I'm seriously thinking of drilling a 3/4" hole for an NMO antenna mount on my 2019 eGolf but wanted to know if anyone else has done it? eGolf has no sunroof or glass roof to worry about, but I'm thinking there is a stiffener up there that I'll need to steer clear of. I also don't want to take the whole headliner out, but instead pull it down from the side and fish out the coax.

Anyone drilled the roof on a 2019 Golf, or better yet 2019 eGolf and can share some tips?

Dave

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
hole saws cut through anything why drop the headliner just bore right through it.

From what i know about the egolf/Golf R (same chassis shell) seeing there's no roof i don't believe any stiffeners were required, so drill away.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
We all have to look back and say... What was i thinking.

I cut a sun roof into my 4 speed 71' 442...

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
You might find this page helpful. I too have been considering different mount options for Ham radio 2m/70cm bands. https://www.google.com/amp/s/stealthgti.com/adapting-the-factory-antenna-hole-to-nmo/?amp
Thanks! Gives me some ideas. Today I was looking at what it would take to pull the edge of the headliner down so I can take a look at where it would make sense to make a hole. Doesn't look too easy without also needing to take off the B pillar cover.

I have one of these saws that I've already used on my 2001 Beetle and 93' Ford Ranger. Sure is nice having a dual band antenna up there in the clear.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
headliners can bend as much as you need (your stronger than the cardboard and foam) but they won't bend back to look 100% what is was before,

only way to do it clean is drop all grab handles and pull all the pillar trim then start removing it all in one piece down.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I put an NMO mount in my 2004 Golf. I removed the radio antenna and enlarged the existing hole.

I was able to pull the headliner down enough to reach in from the hatch area and get the wire down the left side pillar (C pillar? The one at the back anyway) and along under the floor trim and up into the dash area.

I think the same would work in a newer Golf. I have a 2019 Golf R now.

Instead of a hole-saw, consider using a stepped drill bit to make the hole.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Instead of a hole-saw, consider using a stepped drill bit to make the hole.
Thanks for the tips. FWIW, I made a hole with my step drill (genuine Unibit) in a steel box for a homemade lighting controller - boy did that suck. Didn't go as well as I hoped, rolled the edge of the hole too. On the other hand, I've already used my NMO saw from the photo above on 2 vehicles, and that went really well. I'll be sticking with the NMO hole saw.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
for step bits, slow and low let the bit do the cutting and don't force it, it takes a long time cause it's just pulling a small martial out.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Found this - basically accessed the roof from the back. This looks very do-able/easy. I can reach further into where I want the NMO mount to be, and if I buy a remote head unit, the radio can be in the trunk.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
If you remove the upper rear trim pieces you can pull the headliner down several inches in the back. Should try to avoid creasing the cardboard/fiberboard or whatever it is but the fabric/foam covering recovers quite well (really quick steam helps, if you need it). There is a stiffener in the B pillar area. IIRC there is something less substantial a bit further back (above what I assume to be some type of noise/heat barrier that's above the headliner.

To get the headliner down in any area besides the back is royal PITA (I replaced mine). You will need to remove the grab handles and sun visors/upper console. There is a tool, VAS6427, that is called out for the clips that hold the door handles and sun visor mounts in. It works great in the visor area, does NOT work for the handles. I made some clip release "tools" by bending some cheap Harbor Freight picks. You can get the headliner to clear the top of the B pillars if the handles on that side are removed, but the handles are the real problem... B pillar trim is just clips and I didn't break any when removing mine.

Besides the stiffener in the B pillar area I can't imagine a hole saw (or step bit) having trouble getting through any other area of the roof though.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Besides the stiffener in the B pillar area I can't imagine a hole saw (or step bit) having trouble getting through any other area of the roof though.
Thank you! Question - do you think I could pull down the side of the headliner between the A and B pillar (or maybe right at the b-pillar) without removing handles, visors, upper console? I literally just need to pull it down an inch to fish the coax over to the side.

Going from the back for the hole and coax would be very easy but it makes the run to the front very long.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
If you remove the B pillar trim you can probably get enough flex there to push a coax through. The little airbag symbol at the top of the B pillar trim pops out and there is a screw behind it to take out. Other than that it's just normal trim clips.

If you are not dropping the headliner at all are you just planning to be really careful when making the hole? There's very little space between the roof and the headliner. That would scare me haha.

Later today I'll reset my Flickr password so I can post the one terrible picture I took with the headliner was out.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
If you remove the B pillar trim you can probably get enough flex there to push a coax through. The little airbag symbol at the top of the B pillar trim pops out and there is a screw behind it to take out. Other than that it's just normal trim clips.

If you are not dropping the headliner at all are you just planning to be really careful when making the hole? There's very little space between the roof and the headliner. That would scare me haha.

Later today I'll reset my Flickr password so I can post the one terrible picture I took with the headliner was out.
Appreciate the photo. Yes, I was going to drill without removing the headliner. The NMO hole saw pictured above has a step so it can't cut too deep- The centering drill sticks out maybe 1/4", the serrated saw teeth only about 0.100". I would try and slide a piece of cardboard between the liner and the roof to catch the shavings.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Hopefully this works...
Wow! That's a lot of stuff that comes off to get the headliner out.
Also it looks like there is something sandwiched to the roof metal itself. I see the spar across what I think is between the B pillar, but on both sides of that is something that looks like cardboard. Do you remember how thick that was?

Thanks for the photos!

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
That is the only picture I have without a headliner installed. I had intended to document things thoroughly but after it took 4 hrs to get the grab handles off I couldn't be bothered. Didn't help that the first time I ordered (and rented a truck to pick up) I got a box with the correct part number label but inside was an MK6 headliner. When I got the right one I was itching to be done with it.

I would estimate it was around 1/4" thick, more of an insulation thing than structure. Although being bonded to the roof it would add some stiffness I guess.

Headliner is a lot of trouble to remove, I do not recommend, haha. The most annoying part is that the harnesses for lights/mirror electronics are secured to the headliner and not the roof, uggghhh.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I would estimate it was around 1/4" thick, more of an insulation thing than structure. Although being bonded to the roof it would add some stiffness I guess.

Headliner is a lot of trouble to remove, I do not recommend, haha. The most annoying part is that the harnesses for lights/mirror electronics are secured to the headliner and not the roof, uggghhh.
Thanks!!
I'll see what I can see when I take the b-pillar cover off. Other my other two cars I did, the headliner wasn't in contact with the roof - they were at least spaced off by the thickness of the support rib. With that extra bonded material on a Mk7, I hope there's enough gap for a 1/4" coax cable.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I finally drilled the roof and installed an NMO mount today. My 2019 eGolf is a little different than the photos up earlier in this thread. The sound deadening pads stuck to the roof had a segment towards the back that was thinner, and there was a 1/4" gap between the panels and this was enough to install the mount and route the cable. I used a fish tape to fish the coax to the b-pillar and behind the airbag curtain.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Why would you drill a hole for a mag mount?

Just kidding. That's what I was running but on my other cars it was goofing up the paint along with the coax chaffing.
i could see that happening.. my roof is wrapped so i have a small layer of protection. its not the ideal setup, but it works..