Anyone convert b5 gas to TDi?

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Do it! Do you have the car already?

If not, best bet would be a v6 5spd or w8 6spd 4mo car. For gearing, if it's a 6 spd 01E you can get the .56 6th gear from Scott DeWitt and you'll be golden. If it's a v6 car that was lucky enough to get a 5spd 01E instead of the 01A, you can convert it to a 6 speed with the proper 6th gear. If it's an 01A, you can run it for now but the rpms will be a little high; most durable bet would be to swap to a 01E.

As for electronics and motor, a wrecked b5.5 would be the easiest to start with as that would make it plug and play.

Last edited:

gearjam

TDI
2000 B5 Passat TDI conversion
Yes I have done it and it can be done to a 4motion. The problem with the 5sp 4motion (and Audi A4 5spd) is you can't get a final drive taller than a 3.9 in the US . I am running a 2.8 Passat 2wd trans which has a 3.7 final drive and installed a .068 fifth that I had a really hard time getting. 60 MPH is just a tick under 2000 RPM. I used a 99.5 Jetta ALH with a VNT 17 and exh manifold off of a 2004 Passat TDI. I cut the intake and turned the opening to the rear of the engine, hand made the intake pipe around the back of the head and over to the original 1.8T intercooler. I am only on my second tank of fuel. During the first tank I changed from a 1.8T trans to my modded 2.8 trans and converted to a full 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust with no mufflers or cat and got 40 MPG. Now on second tank and I can tell by mileage that I am ahead of first tank. Super happy with it at this point because I originally started this adventure because I don’t like the Jetta or Golf based cars with the engine in the wrong way! Sorry if I am pissing off people. I was either going to do an Audi A4 Quattro or the B5 or 5.5 Passat because I just like the cars better. Ended up doing the conversion to a 2000 1.8T auto Passat so I also converted the car to manual. The biggest challenge was the wiring which I did by studying the engine diagrams and wiring it into the car. It all works even the cruise.

Last edited: