anyone change rear shocks on a 97 Passat?

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
hello all, I have a cracked spring on one side on the rear. I got a set of used Springs online for a hundred bucks and I ordered new shocks, bilstein TC, and a strut mount kit for each side. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if there is anything tricky or is it straight forward? Thank you

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I'll be doing same thing-did you get new dust boot covers as well? I was waiting to get some bump stops(? if they are original)and wasn't going to pay the $40+ each that vendors and dealer want-got them from NAPA for under $8(work discount)they are almost $9 without discount. I've read that the seat belt retractor plastic can be tricky to release in order to get to the top bolts. I believe that jackstands go under the rockers,not on axle beam. Did you get new bottom bolts and nuts for the shocks? They can be a b*tch to get out sometimes,I ended up cutting them when I did the rears on the Jetta I used to have.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I've done this a ton on all sorts of B4's. It's an easy job but can take some time, especially doing it the first time. I recommend new dust boots and upper mounts, since they like to compress and oblong.

Start hitting the lower bolt with penetrant now if you haven't yet.

yakko

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT 96,97
The black plastic cap over the seat belt is unreal to get out. I have broken most of mine. I use some double sided sticky tape to hold them in. Works good.

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
good info so far. spray the lower bolts and get dust boots. thanks. should have the shocks tomorrow.

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat tdi, 1996 Passat B4V
Make sure to not jack up or support the car on the axle beam otherwise your shock will not drop down far enough.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Yes, the seatbelt plastic cap just pops off from the bottom with a screwdriver.
I had a tough time getting some them out with a screwdriver. Last time, on Sprinta's B4, I used one of those paint can lid openers and it worked flawlessly IMO. It fits right into the slot and pulls the little plastic tab forward.