anyone adjust/callibrate their SGII after chip install?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
So I had my scangauge callibrated to my system with PP520's. was working nicely and proving the same MPG as my written numbers. Even when I had stock injectors, the numbers were the same and still callibrated.

engine: 1.9
fillup: % at -18%
tank: 25 gallon
speed: 2 (makes SG callibrated with mileage, not with actual speed due to larger tires)

then i got alligatored (not done tuning at the moment). but my callibration is way off. Getting it inline has proven to be more difficult than just changing the fillup %. depending on load, the numbers are showing to be way off. Cruising is producing more efficient numbers than I am getting. Trying to reduce the % to -25% causes high load numbers to be very low in MPG but at cruising load (which for me is about 40) I'm getting WAY efficient MPG. So I thought, maybe I should change my engine type. move it up from 1.9 to a 2.5 engine... and find something that creates a callibrated system.

I'm getting closer, but I'm still getting screwed on cruising speeds. my cruising is not producing as much MPG numbers as SGII is showing.

engine: 2.5
fillup: % at -25%
tank: 25 gallon
speed: 2 (makes SG callibrated with mileage, not with actual speed due to larger tires)

Did anyone else move from non chipped to chipped? and how did you change your callibration? Obviously I can try to adjust to just get it to my numbers, but cruising on the fwy is causing my numbers to jump on the SGII.

1997 passat stationwagen FA chipset, 1Z. PP520's

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I installed an Alligator chip in my '96 GQ ECM. Very little change (1%) in nominal correction value and no change in the range of actual vs. reported fuel under variety of driving conditions. I'm getting about 0.5 mpg variation above and below nominal under all conditions.

You didn't change your IQ at the same time did you?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Reset the SGII and start over.(see manual) Tell it what size your engine REALLY is.

You recalibrate the SGII at EVERY fillup. Every fillup.

Bill

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I think the problem comes from the IQ. Stock it knows how much it needs to inject at idle, but once you chip it the numbers get thrown off. I don't think the computer really knows how much fuel is being used, I think the chips kind of hide some of that info to allow more fuel to be injected.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
40x40 right. i get the recallibration after fillups. im doing 5 gallon fillups to make this quicker. but the mpg numbers are moving ever so slightly, it seems as if i'll be at -50 soon and still not have the reading correct.

i did not change iq. iq is the same as before chip install and after. 4.4 iq.

i'll go back to the 1.9 engine. but like i said, if i keep it there. the fillup recallibration number will be way large.

my LOD numbers are showing to be lower at cruising speeds compared to before the chip. but that did not prove to be better mpg. so that's why i changed the engine type. if i'm using less load to cruise, but the mpg is not being reflective of that. then there must be something wrong then right?

with 1 person confirming that their callibration did not get as lost as mine did. that's no fun! what setup do you have on that getmore?

tttthumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Exactly what 40x40 said.

I had mine calibrated at (+/-20% don't remember + or -)
I got chipped, and on the way home, I was seeing great #'s.
So I knew I had to be recalibrate, 1st think was topped back up to a full tank.
Drove a tank, and recalibrated.
By my next tank (2 full tanks after tune) I used 57.779, and SG had that I used 57.2. One last correction and it should be quite close.

I'll go and check what I have right now.
Fillup % is 6.7%