Anybody Track their car?

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
Anybody here track their MK6 sedans? Im signed up for seven 20min sessions at Blackhawk Farms September 20th. All stock just going to be on Hawk HP+ front pads and HPS rear pads and RBF 600 or a DOT 5.1

Tires:
225/45/17 Factory conti's

RedDragon

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW “Judy Sue White”
Ive had my mk4 NB on that track, its a lot of fun! Lots of good quick turns and its short, if you wanna stretch the legs a bit more try Raod America.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
Ill probably be hitting every track event I can next year. Hopefully I'll be more where I want wheel/tire/suspension wise.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
GLI30ED made it pretty clear that his car is a dual purpose street/track car. It's a very nice build, the nicest I have ever seen on a VW. I am not sure how much more he could do without ruining the streetable side of the car. Full cage, heim joints, gutting the car... all those things make for a less than pleasant weekend cruiser.

Not sure about the DOT5.1 fluid... but I would need to look into it. I use ATF SuperBlue in all my cars. You can alternate blue/amber to make sure you bled all the fluid through. You don't want to use a silicone based fluid from all I have read.

I have AX'd my Jetta and done one DE event (Fastivus @ Willow Springs). I got my co-worker hooked so hopefully we will be hitting some more tracks once it cools down a bit.

There are several different OEM Conti tires, but they are all fine for a day at the track, but you won't be setting any track record. The TDI's are pretty impressive on the track, don't be surprised if you give some GLI's, GTI's and even some R models a run for their money :).
Have fun and take some video if you can!

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
GLI30ED made it pretty clear that his car is a dual purpose street/track car. It's a very nice build, the nicest I have ever seen on a VW. I am not sure how much more he could do without ruining the streetable side of the car. Full cage, heim joints, gutting the car... all those things make for a less than pleasant weekend cruiser.

Not sure about the DOT5.1 fluid... but I would need to look into it. I use ATF SuperBlue in all my cars. You can alternate blue/amber to make sure you bled all the fluid through. You don't want to use a silicone based fluid from all I have read.

I have AX'd my Jetta and done one DE event (Fastivus @ Willow Springs). I got my co-worker hooked so hopefully we will be hitting some more tracks once it cools down a bit.

There are several different OEM Conti tires, but they are all fine for a day at the track, but you won't be setting any track record. The TDI's are pretty impressive on the track, don't be surprised if you give some GLI's, GTI's and even some R models a run for their money :).
Have fun and take some video if you can!
I'm positive I wont be giving anybody out there too much of a run. I am a technician at a performance shop specialized in Nissan/Infiniti most of the people going from our group are very modded Z's and G's.

Dot 5 is silicone based. Dot 5.1 is not. ATE super blue Is Illegal because its blue. They stopped manufacturing it a couple years ago. They still make the yellowish one. My goals are to pretty much change everything in the suspension all spherical bearings and heim joints (h2sport kit). I am a suspension freak.

HRDNFST

TDI
2011 Jetta
I regularly autoslalom my 2011 TDI bone stock. Does fairly well in H Stock. It needs tires. Will be running toyo r1r soon.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
DirtRacr95,

I sort of assumed you would be running with other volkswagens or similiar cars.
Mobile Apex :)

Please keep me posted on your build. I am interested in how you are going to stiffen up the rear beam axle. IMO that's a must on these cars, otherwise you will never be able to run a front ARB without creating a plow monster (excessive understeer).

Have you spoken with H2Sport yet about your application? I have been searching high/low for urethane bushings and nobody has developed them yet. Looking at H2Sports website they only have bearings developed for the MK5, which will not work on our cars.

I didn't know about the ATE Blue not being made any more.... dang I guess I should have stocked up! What are the kids running these days?

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
DirtRacr95,

I sort of assumed you would be running with other volkswagens or similiar cars.
Mobile Apex :)

Please keep me posted on your build. I am interested in how you are going to stiffen up the rear beam axle. IMO that's a must on these cars, otherwise you will never be able to run a front ARB without creating a plow monster (excessive understeer).

Have you spoken with H2Sport yet about your application? I have been searching high/low for urethane bushings and nobody has developed them yet. Looking at H2Sports website they only have bearings developed for the MK5, which will not work on our cars.

I didn't know about the ATE Blue not being made any more.... dang I guess I should have stocked up! What are the kids running these days?
Im planning on swapping to IRS which would allow me to run the H2sport rear bearings. Well now that I've seen GLI30ED swapped to the GTI aluminum front subframe which I wasnt even aware of the GTI having, its on my list of things to find and swap.

I am going to take a look at my beam this weekend and see if I can fab something to either mount a swaybar or do stiffen like the shine racing bars do.

Motul RBF600 at $20 a pint

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
The body roll on my Jetta isn't conducive to much more than easy daily driving

You know what they say, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow! The Jetta is great on the track because it's slower and allows me to really focus on my lines instead of worrying about my a** end coming out. Man, I miss my Cayman!!!

DirtRacer95,
That's a little bit up to you as a driver. Some people are much harder on cars than others. When I was at the track I found I wasn't really pushing my engine that hard. I didn't see any advantage to redlining the engine at every shift and used the low end torque to get me around corners and to avoid having to up-shift mid-corner. Keep tire scrub to a minimum and focus on your line, then accelerating out of corners is an awful lot like getting onto the freeway.

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Gone, looking for a cheap commuter
Can anyone tell me if DSG oil temps are going to be a problem for 20 minute sessions at blackhawk farms?

I asked about DSG temps the other day...although maybe not at a track situation, I was told anyone who spends the time monitoring them finds they mimic the coolant temps. I'm pretty new, but sounds like the cooler could be relatively efficient. I'd like to know if anyone has found otherwise.

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
Not planning on any gauges? To the best of my knowledge a scan gauge will show coolant temp right?

Would be interesting to compare ECT and tranny fluid temp to see how efficient the cooler is. Think anyone here has done it?

It's also to bad our cars don't have the full MFD on the dash. I've seen one of the gauge companies can pull up a handful of parameters on there.

Last edited:

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
Not planning on any gauges? To the best of my knowledge a scan gauge will show coolant temp right?

Would be interesting to compare ECT and tranny fluid temp to see how efficient the cooler is. Think anyone here has done it?

It's also to bad our cars don't have the full MFD on the dash. I've seen one of the gauge companies can pull up a handful of parameters on there.
Nope not planning on any gauges. Atleast not until I do engine mods. Then I would try to do something like the HKS camp 2 or the Magden unit. I don't think either of those can be made to work with VW but that's the type of setup I will be wanting. I wont ever by actual individual gauges again. Its expensive and makes things cluttered.

The only think I am a little worried about is oil pressure under hard lateral g's.

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
Scan gauge are cheap aren't they??? Wouldn't it be worth putting it in first for a baseline and see how the car reacts? Aren't they line 150 bucks?

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
Bought a used set of 6 Hoosier R6's stock size 225/45/17 that I'll use for the track day. This should get a little more interesting